Doing things to challenge yourself

5 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

No, understanding it means just that. Try reading his post again, word for word, and you will see he says nothing about telling others to put themselves in any danger. Is English your natural language? It's mine.

Ok, the headline is: Doing things to challenge yourself.

After that, he describes what he did, and after this sentence: Place yourself into challenges as you get older instead of doing nothing !

After that it´s another sentence with things he would like to hear from guys.

However, the first can also be read as an option to challenge yourself in the full context of the post.

1 minute ago, susanlea said:

I do the Arnold presses for shoulders. Feel much better. Doing face pulls helps build up shoulder tendons too. Dips with weights can be dangerous too. This exercise can be replicated using cables. A lot of top bodybuilders now recommend cables for rows too as less injury risk. A chest supported one arm cable row is very good.

I only wish I didn't train so heavy when I was younger. I combined bodybuilding with power lifting because I liked the heavy weights, but they always do the most damage whereas most bodybuilders don't use very heavy weights but lighter ones and use steroids to gain mass. Your joints are the weak link and can't take too much before you damage them. This is why many top power lifters can't walk well when they get older, and why I have some trouble some days doing the same. I didn't do the drugs but did do the heaviness.

56 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Pull up .. can't remember last time I did 'em.   

Have to get back to you that :coffee1:

52 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Then you probably can't do any like most people.

That didn't work, as just back from the park, and not one piece of equipment there or an overhead bar I could use.   Only 1 there was too big, and I couldn't get a good grip.   Not about to slip off and hurt myself for a stranger, telling me what I can't do.

Did pull ups get cancelled ?   Maybe too many oops or torn rotary cups :cheesy:  Or just banned as  misogynism, since women have a hard time doing them.

Could post a vid of me doing a bunch of push ups, or bench press more than my weight.  But sure that wouldn't satisfy you.

You'll just have to keep on telling me & others, that you don't know, what we're unable to do, simply because you can't.  Go figure ... :coffee1:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Ok, the headline is: Doing things to challenge yourself.

After that, he describes what he did, and after this sentence: Place yourself into challenges as you get older instead of doing nothing !

After that it´s another sentence with things he would like to hear from guys.

However, the first can also be read as an option to challenge yourself in the full context of the post.

Yes, to challenge yourself, not to put yourself in harms way, like he did. What he did wasn't too smart. I lived in New Jersey, and worked in and visited NYC many times, as my parents were from Brooklyn, and every time I was there, I made sure I stayed in well lit areas and was never alone. This was back in the 70's to 80's. Now I would be even more careful.

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That didn't work, as just back from the park, and not one piece of equipment there or an overhead bar I could use.   Only 1 there was too big, and I couldn't get a good grip.   Not about to slip off and hurt myself for a stranger, telling me what I can't do.

Did pull ups get cancelled ?   Maybe too many oops or torn rotary cups :cheesy:  Or just banned as  misogynism, since women have a hard time doing them.

Could post a vid of me doing a bunch of push ups, or bench press more than my weight.  But sure that wouldn't satisfy you.

You'll just have to keep on telling me & others, that you don't know, what we're unable to do, simply because you can't.  Go figure ... :coffee1:

Probably 99% of people over 50 can not do a strict pull up. Nothing personal against you.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, ChumpChange said:

Building up tendon? Really? 😂

I'm sure she means tendon strength, which can be increased by plyometric, eccentric and isometric training.

Just now, susanlea said:

Probably 99% of people over 50 can not do a strict pull up. Nothing personal against you.

76 and never ever tried.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, ChumpChange said:

If you are in decent physical shape then you can probably do 2-3-4. And if you start to do them regularly, then you should be able to build up to 10 over time. But again, I don't see something like this as a challenge. That would be about setting strength goals. 

Agree, exercise isn't much of a challenge, just goal toward better health.  Unless of course, you have a phobia of ... :coffee1:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Yes, to challenge yourself, not to put yourself in harms way, like he did. What he did wasn't too smart. I lived in New Jersey, and worked in and visited NYC many times, as my parents were from Brooklyn, and every time I was there, I made sure I stayed in well lit areas and was never alone. This was back in the 70's to 80's. Now I would be even more careful.

If you ever rode the subways in NYC in the seventies and eighties at night then a ride on the Manila underground at night would seem about as dangerous as wrestling a teddy bear. 

Setting physical challenges is best, because it pays dividends, even if one fails.

As a yout (My Cousin Vinny) I could easily dunk a basketball. Fast twitch muscle fibers are the first to go. I've set myself a challenge of doing it again, and apparently one can re-introduce/re-awaken fast twitch fibers with the right exercise program.

A second challenge, given by Dr Peter Attia, is a 2 minute dead hang. I'm almost there. Attia also says a two minute Farmer's Walk carrying your weight (easy) and bench pressing 1.5x your body weight (also not too hard) is a sign of good fitness.

The dead hang is quite tough. Also, it seems baskets are a bit higher now, though I know they are not. Or maybe gravity has picked up a notch, as I'm the same weight I was at 18.

Anyway, life is all about setting challenges.

3 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I'm sure she means tendon strength, which can be increased by plyometric, eccentric and isometric training.

AFAIK tendons only weaken with age. They become more like jelly and lose elasticity. Not something buildable. In fact, surgical tendon repairs have a much lower probability of success after the age of 55 for the above reasons.  

Getting back to the idea of challenges and the OP, any physical challenges that put tendons at risk of tear or injury should be greatly avoided after the age of 45. Just common sense, like the not so clever idea of putting yourself in a dangerous situation like confronting gangs on an underground train late at night in order to challenge your own fears. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, ChumpChange said:

If you ever rode the subways in NYC in the seventies and eighties at night then a ride on the Manila underground at night would seem about as dangerous as wrestling a teddy bear. 

Many times and never saw any trouble, although it did happen almost daily, and more now than before. Many people think living in the US with all it's "gun violence", is a hrd thing, but I lived there from birth to 62 and never saw much of anything, and I was outside walking, driving and living near major cities all that time. But taking a chance walking late at night by yourself in any major city now is playing Russian roulette.

3 minutes ago, ChumpChange said:

AFAIK tendons only weaken with age. They become more like jelly and lose elasticity. Not something buildable. In fact, surgical tendon repairs have a much lower probability of success after the age of 55 for the above reasons.  

I'll try to find it, but I read some recent research that says tendons can be strengthened even as one ages. It has to do with blood flow to the area and how the cells that make up tendons respond to certain peptides. There is a trend now for athletes to get BPC157 and other peptide injections to promote healing.

8 minutes ago, susanlea said:

If I couldn't do a pull up, I'd have to join a gym or something, till I could, as a simple pull up is a pretty low bar for me.

Sit ups is a different story, something I really could never do.  Not that I would, since one of the worst exercises for you back.  I prefer simple stomach crunches.  Hold them for as long as possible  ... feel the pain.  Good for only about 5-10 :cheesy:

1 minute ago, ChumpChange said:

Conjecture, fiction, etc. 

Most likely as most people either don't do strength work or eat too much. When you are in a shopping mall look around and see how many people over 50yo look capable of doing pullups. You won't see many.

2 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

I'll try to find it, but I read some recent research that says tendons can be strengthened even as one ages. It has to do with blood flow to the area and how the cells that make up tendons respond to certain peptides. There is a trend now for athletes to get BPC157 and other peptide injections to promote healing.

I've heard about the peptide thing. But that involves drugs, not exercise. We were discussing strengthening using resistance training. And the jury is still out on the peptide thing. There are no controlled medical studies behind it. The stuff all comes from UGL in China. AFAIK, it's all bro-science. 

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

If I couldn't do a pull up, I'd have to join a gym or something, till I could, as a simple pull up is a pretty low bar for me.

Sit ups is a different story, something I really could never do.  Not that I would, since one of the worst exercises for you back.  I prefer simple stomach crunches.  Hold them for as long as possible  ... feel the pain.  Good for only about 5-10 :cheesy:

If you don't go to a gym regular or lift at home or do regular bodyweight excercises what makes you think you can do pullups? You probably can't do any. It might be a low bar for an 18yo gym goer but for most people over 50yo it's a hard exercise.

3 minutes ago, susanlea said:

When you are in a shopping mall look around and see how many people over 50yo look capable of doing pullups. You won't see many.

That part I'll agree with. 

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

That said, I do admire your ability to take a flogging without getting upset

There is just too much in real life to cause ire.

The Farang Pub is for rest, relaxation, and the enjoyment of reading others' comments.

I NEVER become upset just through reading comments in the Farang Pub.

Farang, though, in Thailand, and in most places, however,...

I cannot tolerate.

I strictly restrict my contact with Farang to PhDs, and ONLY via email exchanges with those I have known for many years.

Never face to face.

5 minutes ago, ChumpChange said:

Getting back to the idea of challenges and the OP, any physical challenges that put tendons at risk of tear or injury should be greatly avoided after the age of 45. Just common sense, like the not so clever idea of putting yourself in a dangerous situation like confronting gangs on an underground train late at night in order to challenge your own fears. 

Yea .. .I let my ego get in the way one day.   After talking to some work buddies (body builders), and they were all talking about how much they press.   So stupid me, on beach break and hotel had a gym, so stupidity kicked in.  

Usually press <200 lbs.  So off I go, 200, easy, 225, OK, I can do the, 250, not so easy, 275 .... once.

Damn I'm good ... next day, I couldn't shampoo my damn head :cheesy:  Think I pulled every muscle there are in my shoulders    And at the wrong time, as I was getting certified for diving the following week.   Which required 4 laps in an Olympic pool.  And yea, I finished, but the last one out, and more than a lap to 2 on my back just kicking my legs :cheesy:  They took a long time to get back to normal, and lucky nothing serious.

On 5/22/2024 at 8:18 PM, georgegeorgia said:

Yes both Monday & Tuesday nights 

From Taft Avenue station to Roosevelt, although alighted at Abdo Santos considered a rough station only to be greeted by two rough looking tattooed guys who turned out to be plainclothes railway police ,very nice to me

Please guys I'm in interested in challenges , comfort zones as you get older 

Reads like you are looking for your very own box to lay in..........:coffee1:

4 minutes ago, ChumpChange said:

I've heard about the peptide thing. But that involves drugs, not exercise. We were discussing strengthening using resistance training. And the jury is still out on the peptide thing. There are no controlled medical studies behind it. The stuff all comes from UGL in China. AFAIK, it's all bro-science. 

BPC157 is a naturally occurring peptide, but production diminishes with age. The increased blood flow brought about by certain exercises, however, is the item that caught my attention in the research. The BPC157 injections are just an enhancement. The exercise might provide the benefit.

As for 'enhancements' coming out of China, I guess I'm a bit hesitant. I'm sure there are wonderful and safe products coming out of China, but since I know about bad dog food and bad baby formula, I tend toward caution.

I also know that the fitness and longevity space is now peppered with charlatans, conmen, and paid influencers. While I do take a few supplements, I have refined my belief to engaging in regular strenuous exercise, getting good sleep, and being thankful for the genes I inherited

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Yea .. .I let my ego get in the way one day.   After talking to some work buddies (body builders), and they were all talking about how much they press.   So stupid me, on beach break and hotel had a gym, so stupidity kicked in.  

Usually press <200 lbs.  So off I go, 200, easy, 225, OK, I can do the, 250, not so easy, 275 .... once.

Damn I'm good ... next day, I couldn't shampoo my damn head :cheesy:  Think I pulled every muscle there are in my shoulders    And at the wrong time, as I was getting certified for diving the following week.   Which required 4 laps in an Olympic pool.  And yea, I finished, but the last one out, and more than a lap to 2 on my back just kicking my legs :cheesy:  They took a long time to get back to normal, and lucky nothing serious.

Flat bench press is a terrible exercise for those with shoulder issues.

12 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Most likely as most people either don't do strength work or eat too much. When you are in a shopping mall look around and see how many people over 50yo look capable of doing pullups. You won't see many.

I once could do 25 pull-ups, the right way.

Now, I can only do 0.25.