Blocked/reserved table in food courts?

13 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Especially in my home! But actually in public yes people do. It depends on the etiquette of the country, the type of eatery, whether there are staff employed to clear tables as there are here in food courts, after all labour here is cheap, employment laws and rights minimal, not so in Europe. For example in France it is the etiquette in this type of often huge budget eatery to clear up your " mess" yourself putting it on the tray on which you not a server brought the food from the servery/buffet and taking that tray to a stacking trolley for them. Many French diners keep everything  on the tray as they eat. I emphasize budget self service type eatery.

Restaurants with waiting staff will of course present a menu, take your order, serve and clear each course, pour your wine, bring your coffee and your bill, take your payment ....and a tip or service charge is often added to the bill of 10 even 15% of the total although you are not obliged to pay it. The portable digital card payment machines in France and the UK give you the choice of accepting or rejecting that added element with the default setting being accept. Of course there is a not altogether fair in my view subliminal aspect to it for the customer... your a ******* if you don't accept.  Personally I do tip for a pleasant  welcome, attentive but unobtrusive cheerful service and any personalised extra mile , for example for a special  occasion, for perfectly timed gaps between courses which the waiting staff must judge according to their assessment of the customer which is as much about the kitchen as front of house staff and communication between the two. I somewhat resent that this now almost mandatory added element wlways includes the price of the drinks, especially wine: they only had to open it and pour without spilling ! In Venice I once experienced the most extraordinary and elaborate wine ritual at our table, pure theatre,  but that's another story!

This is about Food Courts in Thailand. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, newnative said:

I don't see anything wrong with the practice.  It's not really reserving a table--that's something that's done in advance.  "I'd like to reserve a table for 6 people for 7pm this evening."   What you describe is a table in use.   My spouse and I will sometimes shop at Lotus's or Big C and have lunch at the food court before we shop.  We have our grocery shopping bags with us and we drop them at a free table while we go and get our food and bring it back to the table.  What's the difference between doing that or if one of us sits at the table while the other one goes and brings back the food?   We sometimes do that as well--both at food courts and fast food joints.  In both cases, the table is in use--look for a free table or eat elsewhere if they are all in use.  

Let's say I have a tray of food and then I see two situations:

a) all tables are occupied by people who eat

b) many tables are occupied by things

It seems you think that is the same. I disagree.

I understand that it is comfortable for you to do it the way you want, but it's not fair for all the people who actually want to eat.

If I have my tray and want to eat the food and if there is no free table, then I will certainly sit down on one of the tables with some thing on it.

If that is the table which you occupied then feel free to complain. I will finish my meal in the meantime - on "your" table.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/25/2024 at 8:34 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Sometimes I go to food courts, yesterday in Terminal 21 about noon. It was busy.

I went to the shop and bought my meal and then I looked for a table.

There were lots of tables without people, but on most of them were small or not so small items like an umbrella, maybe a keycard, or a shopping bag.

It seems some people "reserved" these tables by putting something on the table and then walk away and take their time to get the food. And then I guess they expect that everyone recognizes that the table is blocked/reserved by them and nobody else is allowed to use it.

I find this behavior strange and annoying. Sit there and use the table or the table is available for other people. It could be simple.

Luckily, I found a free table within a minute, and all was fine. But I considered already going to one of those reserved tables, put whatever someone put on the table to the side, and then eat there.

And if someone would come and complain: Yes, I noticed you forgot your bag. Here, take it back. 😉 

What do you do in such situation? 

I do same At Starbucks, I’m not buying food or drinks then looking for a place to sit , it’s called efficiency or selfish , but it’s not like the Germans going to beach at 5:00am and leaving their towels on loungers 

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

If I am staying at the hotel and witness it, then Yes indeed I am.

Why am I not allowed to use the emoticans?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Or you could just book a table before you get your food. 

That's what I do when I want to visit a decent restaurant. The waiter will put a sign reserved on the table and they have a list who reserved that table.

In food centers I don't behave like that because I think it is antisocial behavior. Obviously not severe antisocial behavior, but the kind of behavior which I don't like and wouldn't do. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Irish star said:

I do same At Starbucks, I’m not buying food or drinks then looking for a place to sit , it’s called efficiency or selfish , but it’s not like the Germans going to beach at 5:00am and leaving their towels on loungers 

What you describe is exactly the same behavior.

And I don't know if only the Germans are guilty of that. I never looked what others do at 5am.

19 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Why am I not allowed to use the emoticans?

You are welcome to use emoticans, probably, I haven’t a clue what they are.

Or is it your spelling that’s a noshow Jonesy?

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That's what I do when I want to visit a decent restaurant. The waiter will put a sign reserved on the table and they have a list who reserved that table.

In food centers I don't behave like that because I think it is antisocial behavior. Obviously not severe antisocial behavior, but the kind of behavior which I don't like and wouldn't do. 

So you are possibly the guy I see wandering aimlessly about with a tray of food hoping for a place to sit, sometimes dashing quickly when a table is vacated by someone only for another someone to have the same idea and get there before you. And so it goes on until you find a seat.

All whilst I sit waiting at a vacant table observing with amusement while my wife goes to buy my food.

Edited by freeworld
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Rule #1: Never ever tell anyone on this forum you are an English teacher... that opens the door to the grammar nazi's who fail to comprihend how eazy it is to make a tpyo and instead use the opportunity to point score...  

No. We are all impressed if someone is introduced as an English teacher in Thailand.

As you know, Thai assign a high status to their teachers. 

On the few occasions the wife and I eat in a very busy food court one sits in at the table while the other gets food first, then the other goes.  Capturing the table in the first place can be a challenge, but the leave-something-on-the-table ploy just seems bush league to us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

and i'v einteracted with a few techers. 

No. We are all impressed if someone is introduced as an English teacher in Thailand.

As you know, Thai assign a high status to their teachers. 

Really? Many times I've delivered my grandchildren to school (kinder, primary).

Many times I've briefly or for a few minutes interacted with one / a few foreign 'English teachers'. A few times I've been impressed* but more often horrified at their spoken English and their behaviors / attitudes.

*being impressed has always linked to the name /reputation of the school

involved, their tuition fees and their published details of the teachers on

staff. 

A few times I've asked 'what qualifications do you need to work here as an English teachers? Sometimes the answers have been good but more often not good. e.g.

- 'It doesn't matter, I flashed my photoshopped Bachelor of Science degree, and I got the job immediately'.

- 'I was not expecting to get the job because English is really my 3rd language and not that good regarding grammar but a 3 minute chat and I was employed'.

- 'certificate of attendance at a 14 day English teaching course in Bkk seems to be well accepted, but during the course dates I did a 3 / 4 day border run to renew my visa, all accepted by the 14 day course folks'.

- and more ...  

• Like 1

back home in my town in winter we have the folks that like to put chairs--cones--lawn chairs--stools--etc  in the spots they dug out from snow....even tho they are public streets and not private property.....which can be up for debate since they dug it

12 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems there are different opinions about the education level...

To be clear, I was referring to foreigners who are educated in how things are done in Thailand. You of all people should be in that category as you've been around for quite some time.

Let's take a commonsense approach to the logistics of ordering food at the Terminal 21 Food Court at lunchtime. Would you prefer that the people who reserved a table by placing a personal item upon it should walk around for 20 minutes with a tray of hot food, usually including soup, hoping they can find a table? I made that mistake once at Paragon and I regretted ordering the food. A bottle of water or a drink is usually sufficient to reserve a place as the Thais respect the process.

The people who reserve a seat are customers who have already purchased their card and are looking for or waiting for their food, and in many cases, a minute or two away from arriving at their reserved seat. If the food court is jam-packed and you cannot find a chair, Thais will probably not get upset if you politely ask to share a table.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JensenZ said:

To be clear, I was referring to foreigners who are educated in how things are done in Thailand. You of all people should be in that category as you've been around for quite some time.

Let's take a commonsense approach to the logistics of ordering food at the Terminal 21 Food Court at lunchtime. Would you prefer that the people who reserved a table by placing a personal item upon it should walk around for 20 minutes with a tray of hot food, usually including soup, hoping they can find a table? I made that mistake once at Paragon and I regretted ordering the food. A bottle of water or a drink is usually sufficient to reserve a place as the Thais respect the process.

The people who reserve a seat are customers who have already purchased their card and are looking for or waiting for their food, and in many cases, a minute or two away from arriving at their reserved seat. If the food court is jam-packed and you cannot find a chair, Thais will probably not get upset if you politely ask to share a table.

Thanks for your reply.

Are people "a minute or two away from arriving at their reserved seat"? Or are there maybe some of them who made their reservation early, let's say before 11:00, and then they come for lunch sometime after 12. After all, they reserved a table. I don't know the answer to this. But I would be surprised if all people would arrive within a minute or two after they reserved that table.

Like others in this thread pointed out, there are a certain amount of people and a certain number of tables (or make it seats for an easier calculation).

If 100 people buy food and they have 100 seats available, then that works fine.

If 100 people buy food and they have only 80 seats because the other 20 tables are reserved, then the system doesn't work anymore.

Should the food court management add 20 more seats so that there are enough seats for the 100 people and 20 packs of tissues?

Or would it be better if people just realize that it's egoistic if they reserve tables which could be used for other to eat. If they find a table right away, then maybe they eat and leave right after that and then there is enough space for everybody.

I think it's not really so difficult to understand this logic.

When people want to make sure they have a table, and others can't use that table, that is egoistic.

I know, being egoistic is not illegal, but IMHO it is not nice. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/25/2024 at 2:34 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Sometimes I go to food courts, yesterday in Terminal 21 about noon. It was busy.

I went to the shop and bought my meal and then I looked for a table.

There were lots of tables without people, but on most of them were small or not so small items like an umbrella, maybe a keycard, or a shopping bag.

It seems some people "reserved" these tables by putting something on the table and then walk away and take their time to get the food. And then I guess they expect that everyone recognizes that the table is blocked/reserved by them and nobody else is allowed to use it.

I find this behavior strange and annoying. Sit there and use the table or the table is available for other people. It could be simple.

Luckily, I found a free table within a minute, and all was fine. But I considered already going to one of those reserved tables, put whatever someone put on the table to the side, and then eat there.

And if someone would come and complain: Yes, I noticed you forgot your bag. Here, take it back. 😉 

What do you do in such situation? 

Perfectly acceptable common sense practice. I always do the same if I'm on my own. What are you going to do if you buy your food and then there's no table  on which to eat it? Just stand there like a lemon and wait. To reserve a table while you order your food is the logical thing to do.Why do you presume they take their time? If they r hungry they want to eat just like you and will return to the table quite quickly. In 18 years I've never noticed any tables being reserved or blocked as you say for an unreasonable length of time. And actually Thais usually eat and go in food courts really quickly. They don't sit around chatting like we farangs tend to do. We block the tables more than them in this way.

• Agree 1

On 5/25/2024 at 3:03 AM, freeworld said:

Worse are those who have finished eating, and linger on staring into their phones and many when they get up do not clear their tables just leaving the mess behind for others to clear after them.

Yes I forgot the young phone addicts who thoughtlessly tend to do this. If all other tables are full I will sit down with them. They soon get the message and move on.

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Perfectly acceptable common sense practice. I always do the same if I'm on my own. What are you going to do if you buy your food and then there's no table  on which to eat it? Just stand there like a lemon and wait. To reserve a table while you order your food is the logical thing to do.Why do you presume they take their time? If they r hungry they want to eat just like you and will return to the table quite quickly. In 18 years I've never noticed any tables being reserved or blocked as you say for an unreasonable length of time. And actually Thais usually eat and go in food courts really quickly. They don't sit around chatting like we farangs tend to do. We block the tables more than them in this way.

Totally agree.  The OP makes it sound like all the 'reserved' tables are sitting empty for long periods of time.  That is not the case for the vast majority.  Typically, it is like I described.  You go in, find a free table, put something on it to indicate it is being used, go get your food, and then return to the table in a matter of minutes.  Eat your food and leave.  Sometimes, instead of leaving an item on the table, you leave a person at a chair.  Same difference.  The table is in use.  Look for a free table for yourself or eat elsewhere.

• Like 1

I do not think people are typically going early to book tables at the food courts. 

I love the shoes left to save spots in line at government offices. 

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for your reply.

Are people "a minute or two away from arriving at their reserved seat"? Or are there maybe some of them who made their reservation early, let's say before 11:00, and then they come for lunch sometime after 12. After all, they reserved a table. I don't know the answer to this. But I would be surprised if all people would arrive within a minute or two after they reserved that table.

Like others in this thread pointed out, there are a certain amount of people and a certain number of tables (or make it seats for an easier calculation).

If 100 people buy food and they have 100 seats available, then that works fine.

If 100 people buy food and they have only 80 seats because the other 20 tables are reserved, then the system doesn't work anymore.

Should the food court management add 20 more seats so that there are enough seats for the 100 people and 20 packs of tissues?

Or would it be better if people just realize that it's egoistic if they reserve tables which could be used for other to eat. If they find a table right away, then maybe they eat and leave right after that and then there is enough space for everybody.

I think it's not really so difficult to understand this logic.

When people want to make sure they have a table, and others can't use that table, that is egoistic.

I know, being egoistic is not illegal, but IMHO it is not nice. 

We'll have to agree to disagree... The table reservation system in busy food courts works better than any other system. It's a system based on courtesy. I much prefer the inconvenience of reserved tables to those people walking around for 10 - 20 minutes looking for tables, while holding their trays full of hot food. It is easy for food to fall off these trays. I've nearly had a bowl of hot soup fall off my tray.

What I find strange about this whole conversation - I've been living in Thailand and visiting busy food courts (specifically Terminal 21, which I like) for many years, and have never had a problem with people reserving tables. I've never even given it a thought. I don't reserve tables like this because, with so many foreigners/tourists in Pattaya, many people wouldn't respect my reservation and barge in, as you do, and move my stuff. At least I'm not causing you any grief LOL. I've never had too much problem finding a place if I'm alone as they have the single diner chairs in the back window area, and if with a partner, I sit while my partner gets her food first.

• Agree 1

I don't bother with food courts where you know you can't get a table. 

Infact i don't bother much with them anymore, as they usually just reheat food that has already been cooked. Give me a freshly cooked meal anytime over that. 

• Haha 1

I used to go to terminal 21 once a week or so....but i always ether get there early or late as going during peak hours is likely to have very few seats availalbe.  How they can sell the food they do there at such low prices is a mystery and it is no surprise that it can be packed with locals grabbing a lunch and tourists who heard about it on FB or You Tube.

I suppose if they raised their prices 50% that would open up a lot of tables?

I rarely go anymore as it can be a pain all around waiting in line to buy a card, then wait in line to get food, then wander around looking for a table.  Just not worth the aggravation and plenty of other places to eat hassle free.  But they do have some great dishes availabe at absurdly low prices.

On 5/25/2024 at 9:20 PM, soi3eddie said:

If dining solo, I never have any issue "crashing a table" where there's a spare seat. Especially if the other diners are pretty females. Never been to told to "do one". 

I crashed a bench table (after asking of course) where a woman and her daughter were dining - I stayed at the far end and left them alone without trying to engage in conversation. The mother then made a concerted effort to pick ME up 555.

Sadly she got too heavy too fast so I let it go after a few days ...

• Haha 2