New Mobile Banking Rules Aim to Curb 'Horse' Accounts

webfact

53 minutes ago, Roel said:

So now these mules have to open a bank account AND buy a SIM-card! Smart.

I really hope this doesn’t get implemented. Otherwise, I’ll probably be forced to confirm my identity with an app that, of course, won’t work. After struggling for a few days, I finally get through, only to find out it only accepts Thai ID card numbers. So, I head to the bank, where an employee has to consult their supervisor, who also has no clue what to do. They point me back to the app, and that’s when my wife has to step in to explain that foreigners can’t use it. The bank staff then call Customer Support in Bangkok, and after a 45-minute wait, they hand me their phone with a big smile, saying, "Speak Englit." You get the idea.

45 minute wait!...i hope you brought your complimentary bag of 10 year old rice to munch on!

Just registered mine with DTAC.. had same number for 20 odd years (I know we don't have to do it yet.. but I am off to the UK for a bit, and sods law says this change will be implemented while I am there)....

Dtac.. phone call centre get put through to an English speaker.. confirm name and number they send you an SMS with a link to register... on this link step by step instructions with pictures on procedure... pretty straight forward... but I would suggest doing it with someone who can read thai, as captions and some information fields are only in thai....

4 hours ago, ballpoint said:

The SIM in my phone has been registered in my wife's name ever since SIM cards became a thing around 30 years ago and we went from our old SIMless brick phone at the time to the new tech.  Sure, the card itself has changed size and shape over the years, but the registration name stayed the same. Looks like we'll finally be changing it - if I get this notification.

Same problem for me. Bank account in my name, but sim in Wife’s name for donkeys years. Because the phone company won’t give me a postpay SIM card as I am retired and hence don’t have a work permit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Noah K said:

I didn't think you could do that now? You even need to register your computer for access. 

If this is aimed at me ... then no... did it all on my phone...

3 hours ago, happysoul said:

"The proof of the pudding is in the eating"... Let's see how this goes but I'm not really optimistic about it. I have a feel, as often with measures to counter criminals, it will just be a hassle for normal people and criminals will find a way to counter it.

And it starts now with the above case. I was in that situation but changed the information to my name when I did it for the kids (so I can control the 3 numbers in the AIS app).

I think you can if AIS (don't know about other providers). I did it last year and I have no work permit.

Is that for a post pay SIM card? Pre pay has never been a problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alanrchase said:

There has never been a requirement to have a work permit to register a SIM card. I bought my SIM years before they required registration and simply went to the AIS shop to register it when they made it a requirement. Bought a one year internet SIM just over a year ago and they registered it in the shop. Just bought a replacement one year internet SIM and registered it online.

You are flat wrong when you say that there has never been a requirement for a work permit in order to get a SIM card, IF the SIM card is post pay. Prepay has never been a problem.

whether the situation has changed, I don’t know but for sure in the past a post pay sim needed a work permit.

i guess I will update my knowledge by checking with the phone company

• Like 1

The code *179*ID number# requires a 13 digit ID number. It doesn't work with pink cards number. I registered my phone sim with my old expired passport. Lets see what happens. Another 2 hour wait in the queue at the bank to get it sorted?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The code *179*ID number# requires a 13 digit ID number. It doesn't work with pink cards number. I registered my phone sim with my old expired passport. Lets see what happens. Another 2 hour wait in the queue at the bank to get it sorted?

4 hours ago, ballpoint said:

The SIM in my phone has been registered in my wife's name ever since SIM cards became a thing around 30 years ago and we went from our old SIMless brick phone at the time to the new tech.  Sure, the card itself has changed size and shape over the years, but the registration name stayed the same. Looks like we'll finally be changing it - if I get this notification.

Exactly, my girlfriend, now wife, got me a postpaid SIM 15 years ago to dispose of a prepaid one from an ex. Been using it ever since. Next time I am in town I can visit DTAC I guess.

20 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

You are flat wrong when you say that there has never been a requirement for a work permit in order to get a SIM card, IF the SIM card is post pay. Prepay has never been a problem.

whether the situation has changed, I don’t know but for sure in the past a post pay sim needed a work permit.

i guess I will update my knowledge by checking with the phone company

You should have mentioned you had a post paid SIM then. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Roel said:

So now these mules have to open a bank account AND buy a SIM-card! Smart.

no, they can't use mobile banking, this solves nothing

9 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

but also exceptions will be made for 3 groups, namely family members

Maybe that will help all of those who registered a post-paid sim in their wife's name... Hope so.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, MeaMaximaCulpa said:

I also have a sim in my wife's name, since I was not allowed to have one in my name, unless I had a work permit.

Has that changed now? If not, I cannot register for mobile banking, which I was considering doing.

My sim is also in my wifes name. This because the phone companies did not allow me to have a post paid account with them, without having a work permit.

Why is this information shared only on the day it is effective? Would have been nice to have a little time to get things changed.

Edited by Xonax

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, timendres said:

Maybe that will help all of those who registered a post-paid sim in their wife's name... Hope so.

It is not clear from the statement made in the report, but earlier today another report said the exceptions were aimed at elderly relatives and children.

I am in the same boat as you, SIM in wife’s name, but to get it changed just means going to AIS shop with passport and her , with ID, and updating/changing details, this is a prepaid account.

Edited by Georgealbert

This is fubared beyond belief as a tosses people like me whose SIM is registered in my wife's name under the bus.  So each and every single individual in a family unit needs to go get their own freaking SIM now? Definitely fubared beyond belief.  Good job Thailand!    What utter idiocy.  What's next - farangs can't register their own SIM cards?  Wait for it!  :thumbsup:  I don't put it past them.

I guess my SCB account, which closed their web portal and force everyone to "Go Mobile", will be getting a lot less love and my BKK account will be getting a whole lot more attention.  Hopefully Bangkok Bank keeps their Bualuang iBanking web portal open.

Thanks Thailand for again making my day! 

• Like 2

Expat goes into a bank. I want to withdraw 50K baht. 

clerk: go to the ATM

customer: I can't they locked me out because my phone and account don't match.

clerk: Next

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

Same problem for me. Bank account in my name, but sim in Wife’s name for donkeys years. Because the phone company won’t give me a postpay SIM card as I am retired and hence don’t have a work permit.

Use a prepay sim in your name then, not that difficult to work out, a main sim if you use another and one with minimal balance if necessary, 2 sim phones make it easy

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

Yeah concerning - i stopped having contracts around 2018 in my own name, just had a internet sim on the wives account (same as various cctv internet sims) costs about 150 baht a month opposed to 600-700 as i don't use the phone for calls...

What details do we need to register/transfer the sim to my name these days?

Wait until we hear from mobile operators - "No can change name on 150 THB SIM.  Farang must buy 700 THB SIM for self."  Wait for it!

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Currently, Thailand has 106 million mobile banking accounts, with approximately 30 million of these accounts having names that do not match the registered SIM card names.

That's because 29+ million SIM card users are people in the same family units - morons!

dont-throw-the-baby-out-with-the-bathwater-1-4113910702.jpg.f539e69ed19349c434e83bd4600e9122.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

"By dialling 179 followed by their ID card number and pressing call, users can quickly verify whether their mobile banking name matches their SIM card registration."

"Solly farang - not for you foreign scum!"  :lock:

• Confused 3

43 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

namely family members

Watch them make and exception to the exception: "Except for foreign men married to Thai women - no exception for you farang."  Wait for it!

8 minutes ago, connda said:

Watch them make and exception to the exception: "Except for foreign men married to Thai women - no exception for you farang."  Wait for it!

Post a link to your claims, or is it just more of your Thai bashing?

The difference between me and you, is I post real facts with credible links and you just post nonsense.

Dont let your arrogance get away of your ignorance.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, connda said:

"By dialling 179 followed by their ID card number and pressing call, users can quickly verify whether their mobile banking name matches their SIM card registration."

"Solly farang - not for you foreign scum!"  :lock:

Angela Rayner phone operator.........?  :huh:

• Agree 2