Engineer's Heartwarming Dowry: 120 Baht of Gold to Match Bride’s Weight

webfact

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's almost funny when lots of farangs, who decided to live in Thailand, tell us all what Thais should do and not do.

Do you think Thais will listen? Thanks, farang, for you great advise. Thanks that you teach us how to live. Really?

And then there are of course those foreigners who want to live in our home countries. Bastards! They just don't listen. And some have this attitude that they coitizes the way we live and our tradition. Throw them all out! Scum of the earth. How dare they do that.

Now, do you notice a little discrepancy? 

One thing Thais do, is look at western countries for advice on most anything, including electronics, mechanical training, roads and how to maintain them. Music is copied, listened to and loved, foods from other countries are also loved by millions here daily. Medical training and  ideas, and many other things that are copied by locals because they are done better in other countries. Very few things originated here and have origins in many other countries.

This isn't an excuse to try and tell locals how to live but since we are used to better ways in almost every facet of life, we would like to see those things done here, because to put it plainly, there is a right way and a wrong way of doing things, and that means anywhere. They look at us for trade, as do all other countries, because each country has things that are better there than other places, and worldwide people take advantage of that, because some places just do things better. The problem arises when locals look at us just for what we can give them, and greed doesn't help anyone but those who benefit by it.

When Thais go to the US, they fit in, because the US isn't a country of one race but all races. When we come here, we are outsiders, and that will stay until those with outdated , prejudiced thinking are let go and people are voted in that look at us as equals that belong here, because we are spending most or all of our money here, and taking care of many of their women and children.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Just a warning to those who intend to marry a Thai. You have to remember she's more than likely damaged goods and that negates Sin Sot.

That's true, but all of that is thrown out the window when a man has to choose between paying something or just finding someone else that isn't greedy. Falling in love with someone makes one lose sense.

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

One thing Thais do, is look at western countries for advice on most anything, including electronics, mechanical training, roads and how to maintain them. Music is copied, listened to and loved, foods from other countries are also loved by millions here daily. Medical training and  ideas, and many other things that are copied by locals because they are done better in other countries. Very few things originated here and have origins in many other countries.

This isn't an excuse to try and tell locals how to live but since we are used to better ways in almost every facet of life, we would like to see those things done here, because to put it plainly, there is a right way and a wrong way of doing things, and that means anywhere. They look at us for trade, as do all other countries, because each country has things that are better there than other places, and worldwide people take advantage of that, because some places just do things better. The problem arises when locals look at us just for what we can give them, and greed doesn't help anyone but those who benefit by it.

When Thais go to the US, they fit in, because the US isn't a country of one race but all races. When we come here, we are outsiders, and that will stay until those with outdated , prejudiced thinking are let go and people are voted in that look at us as equals that belong here, because we are spending most or all of our money here, and taking care of many of their women and children.

There is a huge difference if people adapt to new things and copy things or if someone else tells them what to do. I.e. some Thais now also eat burgers from time to time. But mostly they still eat Thai food, and often very spicy.

Looking at the USA, they are sure different. Personally, I love living in Thailand and I don't think I will ever go to the USA. They are just too different - at least what I see in the news. 

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There is a huge difference if people adapt to new things and copy things or if someone else tells them what to do. I.e. some Thais now also eat burgers from time to time. But mostly they still eat Thai food, and often very spicy.

Looking at the USA, they are sure different. Personally, I love living in Thailand and I don't think I will ever go to the USA. They are just too different - at least what I see in the news. 

The only way you can see what a country has to offer is to spend time there. Listening to videos or word of mouth is just a tiny representation of what another country has to offer. Even visiting yearly for a couple of weeks only scratches the surface. The US has everything any place on earth has, and every food on earth. As far as Thais liking western food, the main reason the obesity rate climbed from very little to almost 48% of overweight and obesity is western food and sugar laden drinks.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

The only way you can see what a country has to offer is to spend time there. Listening to videos or word of mouth is just a tiny representation of what another country has to offer. Even visiting yearly for a couple of weeks only scratches the surface. The US has everything any place on earth has, and every food on earth. As far as Thais liking western food, the main reason the obesity rate climbed from very little to almost 48% of overweight and obesity is western food and sugar laden drinks.

And don't forget that the USA is full of Americans. Just looking at what they think are the best possible choices to run their country tells us a lot about them. About 70,000,000 are mental, and many others are also not much better. No, thank you, not that one. 

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And don't forget that the USA is full of Americans. Just looking at what they think are the best possible choices to run their country tells us a lot about them. About 70,000,000 are mental, and many others are also not much better. No, thank you, not that one. 

People have but a few choices to vote in a president, and history has proven the choices could have been better, just like here, with the exception being that here those who are voted in, aren't in. I think you're forgetting one important point. There are no true Americans. Everyone has relatives that are from somewhere else, meaning your native country too. As far as 70,000,000 being "mental??? What exactly does that mean, because the US is more advanced in many ways than all other countries, with those Americans again being from everywhere else, at least as far as their ancestry is concerned?. I've  known thousands of people, and the only ones I would consider as "mental" are two of my ex wives and a few ex girlfriends, along with a select few other acquaintances. The rest are regular, garden variety "normal" people. How would you know who is mental if you've never met any Americans besides maybe a few here? Remember, you can't go by others opinions, because they mean nothing, and videos only show a tad of what goes on there, and are usually posted because they are outrageous or show violence, because people thrive on both things.

10 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Happily married for 20 years with three teenage children. And when they marry I won't be asking for Sin Sot. It's outdated.

PS. I was asked for a dowery but I refused to pay.

Sin sot is more like an insurance asset that the parents keep for the well being of their daughter to live on in case their daughter got divorced. It is never meant to be spent .

Thailand do not have social security in welfare in divorce cases so the ladies are on their own after divorce. So I have been told. 

53 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

Sin sot is more like an insurance asset that the parents keep for the well being of their daughter to live on in case their daughter got divorced. It is never meant to be spent .

I just asked my wife and she says the bold sentence is tosh.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Are they talking 120 lbs or kg?!? 120kg would make her enormous, even 120 lbs would be heavier than what I usually date. Either way a dowry is something I would never ever agree to do, if I even agree to get married again - which is highly unlikely.

• Agree 1

There is absolutely no connection whatsoever between the amount of dowry a man pays and the amount of steadfast devotion he feels towards his newlywed woman. This is just pure social hyperbole and meant to drum up some sort of twisted headline. 

But it sure says a lot about contemporary society, doesn't it? Money, money, money. A form of hypnosis, combined with a sort of bankruptcy of the soul. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Total stupidity. Time this nonsense was legally stopped. Hopefully just for show, and the money and gold will be given back to the newly weds.  Close on 4.5 million baht, which will give them a good step on the housing ladder.

Why are you complaining?

Did he ask you for any money?

It was their choice to do it, and if they are happy enough to do, it is up to them and nobody else.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Same in OZ we have so many races living here you never know who a foreigner is.

It's almost funny when lots of farangs, who decided to live in Thailand, tell us all what Thais should do and not do.

Do you think Thais will listen? Thanks, farang, for you great advise. Thanks that you teach us how to live. Really?

And then there are of course those foreigners who want to live in our home countries. Bastards! They just don't listen. And some have this attitude that they coitizes the way we live and our tradition. Throw them all out! Scum of the earth. How dare they do that.

"I try to sound smart by making up imaginary statements from nonexistent people and utterly destroying the imaginary statements that I just made up."  Come on, man.  We all win the arguments that we make up in our heads.  Why don't you try arguing with a real person. 

In the words of boxing, "You should see how he hits the heavy bag."  "Yeah, but the heavy bag doesn't hit back."

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, billd766 said:

Why are you complaining?

Did he ask you for any money?

It was their choice to do it, and if they are happy enough to do, it is up to them and nobody else.

It just sets a pattern for everyone else.. Its the daughters and their parents that will lose out in the long run. 

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I just asked my wife and she says the bold sentence is tosh.

The money is not usually "spent"  It is invariably used to pay off some of the debt the parents have often incurred through laziness to work and gambling. Once the honeymoon is over the hands will be out again for more help for the parents.  ONly occasionally in my area is it ever given back to the happy couple.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

It just sets a pattern for everyone else.. Its the daughters and their parents that will lose out in the long run. 

NO it doesn't.

It is HIS money to do with as HE wishes and not yours.

If he bought a car, would you complain about that?

If he bought a house, would you complain about that?

If your answer is no, then why are you complaining, if he wants to give away to his future wife's family or to anybody else he wishes.

It has no effect on you whatsoever.

2 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

The money is not usually "spent"  It is invariably used to pay off some of the debt the parents have often incurred through laziness to work and gambling. Once the honeymoon is over the hands will be out again for more help for the parents.  ONly occasionally in my area is it ever given back to the happy couple.

More generalisations.

I would think that he knows far better than anybody else what will happen to the money, and he didn't have to give it. He did give it, and it is HIS money to do what HE wishes with.

On 5/28/2024 at 5:19 AM, stoner said:

no it doesn't. being a good man does. 

I agree, but in Thai culture money=love.  Or, perhaps, money replaces love?  Not sure if love exist in Thailand as it does in the West.

8 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I agree, but in Thai culture money=love.  Or, perhaps, money replaces love?  Not sure if love exist in Thailand as it does in the West.

they love money. 

2 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I think they love their parents as well.  But I'm not sure if they love their romantic partners.

mine is different. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/28/2024 at 9:43 AM, brianthainess said:

if she was to marry a falang especially under 50 he will need that to stay here on a marriage extension.

You must think that marriage visas are the only way for foreigners to stay in Thailand legally!

• Sad 1

On 5/28/2024 at 1:50 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

One wonders how a "young" engineer was able to amass such a fortune, when the average monthly wage not so long ago was about 9,000 baht.

One only wonders that if one assumes that everyone is on less than the minimum daily wage in Thailand...a ridiculous assumption.

• Sad 1