Big Thailand visa changes from June 1

30 minutes ago, nakhonandy said:

I suppose you could arrive and get 60 days, do a border bounce for another 60 and then extend at immigration for a further 30. Total 150 days.

How many times immigration would let you do that is another story!

And the 180+180 days visa...

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

The unconfirmed list, from Thai media reports, of the new countries being added to the visa exempt list, but the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has yet to release the official list:

Thank you! Unfortunately, I did not find my country in the center of Europe on this list (it seems that the citizens of Papua New Guinea and Tonga are more important for Thailand). Maybe you have a new list of countries for visas on arrival?

2 minutes ago, Farangus said:

Thank you! Unfortunately, I did not find my country in the center of Europe on this list (it seems that the citizens of Papua New Guinea and Tonga are more important for Thailand). Maybe you have a new list of countries for visas on arrival?

We are waiting for both lists from MFA. Not yet arrived.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bvor said:

depends on what limits are applied to multiple visa exempts. eg if the limit is say 2 per year then a 60 day tourist visa would come into play for next entry same year.

no change to number of visa exempts mentioned

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, george said:

Adjust the criteria and conditions for receiving a Long Stay visa for the elderly who wish to spend their final years in Thailand.

"Final years" sounds like people on death's doorstep. I wonder if this could indicate they are increasing the age of eligibility for the retirement visa/extension? Remember all the commotion over the biker gangs on retirement? Maybe they want a more sedate class of "elderly."

Edited by John Drake
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, John Drake said:

"Final years" sounds like people on death's doorstep. I wonder if this could indicate they are increasing the age of eligibility for the retirement visa/extension? Remember all the commotion over the biker gangs on retirement? Maybe they want a more sedate class of "elderly."

"Final years" have always been Thai Immigration/MFA description for "retirement". If you look at your "retirement" extension stamp, that's the vocabulary in Thai script used on that stamp.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, george said:

"Final years" have always been Thai Immigration/MFA description for "retirement". If you look at your "retirement" extension stamp, that's the vocabulary in Thai script used on that stamp.

Well, good answer. But I have always wondered why the retirement/visa's eligibility age seemed so relatively young, at 50, when the Thai government retirement age itself is 60. I've always thought they might tighten things up to bring the retirement visa in alignment with their own concept of retirement age. 

8 hours ago, mania said:

Funny when I read that I had the opposite thought that hopefully they were going to ease it as every other thing they mentioned was easier than previously. I guess we will know soon enough 😉 

The mood music looks positive, however, it's been around 15 years since there was a variation in financial qualification. It would be surprising if they reduced the level as that doesn't suit the recent policy announcements of trying to attract a "better" quality of long term stayer. The realistic best most people can hope for is no change. 

• Agree 2

24 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

no change to number of visa exempts mentioned

number of air visa exempts never been stated before hence previous uncertainty.

60 day visa exempts need more clarity.

48 minutes ago, Farangus said:

If you had 30 days Visa exempts / Visa free before you will have 60 days in future.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, JoeyMac said:

I have news for you - it's going to spoil things on massive level. 

A simple perspective, even countries that reply heavily on tourism and overseas investment have visas in place for Indian and Chinese visitors. Very few countries in the world allow complete visa free access for these countries for this amount of time. It's basically an open door policy. 

I fully support Thailand needing to do something to reinvigorate their economy, but a mass open door policy is wrong - not just on a conservation level, but locals will suffer too. Go see Europeans now fighting back against leaders with masses of tourism that are blighting their towns. 

But hey, let's celebrate because you save a bit of paperwork. 

Unfortunately that is a Thai classic to count a lot on tourism to improve the economy. 

The problem with the 51% of Thai ownership for local companies is it makes Thailand absolutely unattractive for foreign investors. I totally understand the 51% ownership for condos and the exclusivity of land ownership for locals but for companies it doesn't make any sense. So they can only boost what is working already and managed by Thai people.

And let's face it and be honest with ourselves, China is the new superpower and India is the next one, so there won't be any coming back in our lifetime, although they will probably make new laws in the next few years a usual.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Farangus said:

Sorry this was just an unconfirmed report on Thai media, as stated above, maybe best to wait for the official lists, but be interesting to how close that list is.

Is your country not on the list of the 57 countries that already get visa exempt?

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Sad 1

Just now, Polaky said:

It will no doubt still have to be with a thai insurer and premiums will remain the same, so absolutely useless.

I had an OA a few years ago, cheapest Premiums for the 40/400 coverage were 6000 ( up to 60 yr old ) and 7,700 baht (over 60), when the 3M coverage came about the cheapest over 60 coverage went up to 26,700 baht.

Can’t see any reason why the premiums shouldn’t reduce ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, UWEB said:

If you had 30 days Visa exempts / Visa free before you will have 60 days in future.

No, I always applied for a 60-day visa. There was an option with a visa on arrival more than 10 years ago, but it was later cancelled.

10 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I had an OA a few years ago, cheapest Premiums for the 40/400 coverage were 6000 ( up to 60 yr old ) and 7,700 baht (over 60), when the 3M coverage came about the cheapest over 60 coverage went up to 26,700 baht.

Can’t see any reason why the premiums shouldn’t reduce ?

Please discuss OA insurance in a separate visa thread or in the Insurance subforum. This topic is for new visa regulations only. Feel free to open a new topic discussing OA insurance issues. Thanks!

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, smedly said:

desperate for foreign income

So, is it wise to add another twenty or whatever, third-world nations visa free? 

You'll only likely to get the crooks and fraudsters...

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Farangus said:

No, I always applied for a 60-day visa. There was an option with a visa on arrival more than 10 years ago, but it was later cancelled.

Than you are not from a Country in Center of Europe, that would be a EU Member Country or Switzerland.

Edited by UWEB

8 minutes ago, george said:

Please discuss OA insurance in a separate visa thread or in the Insurance subforum. This topic is for new visa regulations only. Feel free to open a new topic discussing OA insurance issues. Thanks!

Only commenting on something that’s clearly mentioned in the OP 

“ 

In other visa-related changes, tourists aged 50 years and above seeking long-stay visas are now only required to have health insurance coverage of 440,000 baht, down from the previous 3 million baht. This reduction will be effective for long-stay applicants from September to December, according to Mr Chai.“

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Confuding since Cambodia and Laos already have visa free entry albeit gorr a shorter dtay (14 days). Are they really going to give them 60 days now? 

Laos 🇱🇦  not for me as a Brit! Btw I pay double what the Chinese pay! In fairness it was always around the $39-40 for me. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Farangus said:

So I'm assuming you are from Belarus? They gave Russia 60 day visa exempt so why not you?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, UWEB said:

Than you are not from a Country in Center of Europe, that would be a EU Member State or Switzerland.

I did not mean the center of the European Union, but the Geographical Center of Europe (as parts of the world from Portugal to the Ural Mountains in Russia). (in fact, several countries claim to be the center of Europe and my country is only one of them).

In fact, getting a Thai visa here is not very difficult (there is an Honorary Consulate), but one of the requirements is very stupid: confirmation of PAID accommodation for each day of stay in Thailand (between the date of arrival and departure according to the air ticket). For a person who arrives for 2-3 months and likes to travel a lot around the country depending on the weather and mood (without an exact schedule), this is very unpleasant. So I crossed my fingers that I could at least get a visa on arrival...

Center.JPG

Edited by Farangus
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

So I'm assuming you are from Belarus? They gave Russia 60 day visa exempt so why not you?

Because this Belarus is not Russia (although now we are under political occupation of Russia thanks to our dictator) 🥺

Edited by Farangus
  • Thumbs Up 2

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Farangus said:

In fact, getting a Thai visa here is not very difficult (there is an Honorary Consulate), but one of the requirements is very stupid: confirmation of PAID accommodation for each day of stay in Thailand (between the date of arrival and departure according to the air ticket). For a person who arrives for 2-3 months and likes to travel a lot around the country depending on the weather and mood (without an exact schedule), this is very unpleasant. So I crossed my fingers that I could at least get a visa on arrival...

I agree it is a stupid requirement to demand pre-booking of months of holiday accommodation, however I just had a look at what a Thai has to do to go to Belarus. There is no visa exempt and to get a visa they need to show proof of flight and all accommodation. So same same 😉

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/28/2024 at 5:44 PM, dinsdale said:

All very 'valuable' to Thai society. Teachers 12 months.

Or people on business visas having lived in the country for many years and working legally and paying taxes or people on marriage visas supporting their Thai families. I can understand that their are fake marriages but after a set amount of years they should be able to apply for longer visas

• Like 1