Big Thailand visa changes from June 1

57 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

It's odd to put a 5 year validity on a visa that is only good for 180 days. Most people don't need a 5 year window to plan a 6 month visit.

Well - this is Thailand ... and things can get lost in translation.

57 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

That's why many people are thinking it's good for 180 days each year for 5 years.

I think that would be nice for many, but I suspect that assessment may be too optimistic. 

While I am not affected - like many I am curious - and I guess with time we will learn the actual interpretation by immigration.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thailand’s new visa rules from June 1 break fresh ground

Nationals from 93 countries – including Brits, EU citizens, Americans, Australians – will now receive a no-charge, 60 days visa-exempt stamp on entering as opposed to the current 30 days.

There are also implications for Thai Revenue’s policy “clarification” 🙃to tax the overseas income of tax residents – namely anyone staying in the country more than 180 days in a calendar year. Using a combination of the new 60 days rule, plus a couple of border runs, it would easily be possible for individuals to clock up more than six month residence without having any visa at all. Thus the idea that Thai Revenue can identify potential tax residents by the type of visa they have is faulty. Enforcement of the new Revenue regulations is still unclear🙃 to say the leas

In a separate development from September 1, the minimum medical insurance rule for “0/A” visa retirees – those who initially obtained that visa from a Thai embassy – will return to 400,000 baht inpatient and 40,000 baht outpatient cover to replace the current 3 million baht plus or US$100,000. There is no indication that a cash substitute for insurance will be permitted,🙃 nor any sign yet that the current insurance exemption for retirees extending an “0” visa will end.🙃 Overall, the new visa policy according to the Cabinet is to raise sorely-needed revenue from tourists and expats 🙃by making life easier for the end users. The aim is to welcome 80 million overseas visitors by 2027, more than double the current total.

Source:

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/thailands-new-visa-rules-from-june-1-break-fresh-ground-461766

If I understand it is clear that the "subsitute" of paid tourists or non tourists visas will be medical mafia the hidden shadow untaxed "economy" and black money of already medics bubble.

Foreign Embassies and Consultans in collaboration with current Thai seven party coallition government ought to publish available medical facilities for foreigners with low cost (accidents) treatments before they depart at their home countries.

Those who wants to stay for longer expensive medical treatments to pay higher "premiums" and "minimum" rates.

I have traveled to Thailand since 2010 year every year for periods between 3 months until 6 months for both purposes tourism and jobs and thanks God I had no illness or accidents.

If I had paid mandatory private medical insurance in your hidden shadow medical untaxed "economy" I would had given thousands of euros for useless things of the already medics bubble.

Your insured / unisured civilians pay the same medical bills for medical service?

Please try to make foreigners Thai friends and not "clients" in your already bubbly hidden shadow "economy" of medics.

Corona period taught all of us first to be human beings and not 'tools" in our already "bubbly paper economy"!

Edited by Paris333
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, humbug said:

That article is a mess, in fact that news site has always been a mess to read on most articles

Integrity legal from a pattaya mail article in my mind hit the nail on their youtube on dtv

180 days then one more 180 days then the 5 year visa is void

they also suspect many limitations to deposits and bonds just for basically 2x 180 day extensions within a 5 year period

and repeat that everything is subject to change

So many on here went with unlimited extensions of 180 days, then 180 days every 12 months, to the reality of maybe only 2x 180 days then the 5 year visa is used

Now it maybe delayed for another 3 months, 6 months or 12 months

This topic will end up wasting most peoples time, as for any long term visa stayers, will never use or want this new dtv

Not this article is a mess, the "LaLa-Land" fairytale announcements, are a mess. The name “Destination Thailand Visa” alone, is a joke for itself.
Usually, "Examiner" articles are much better researched, as many of the AI spoiled clickbait articles, of known other Farang-“news”-agencies.
Examiner just can reflect on the information, what's being given in the “announcement”. Until now, a rough frame of thoughts.
The only facts, so far, is the price, and the money you've to bring with you (subject to change).

To be not too harsh, the creative guys seem not to have a glance about the already existing mountains of bureaucrat garbage created in multiple decades. Considering different visa types, and all these engaged agencies in the processing. Plus the discretionary modified rules on local levels.

To sort that out, the only way would be to cancel most of the current schemes, and restart right from scratch.
But this is not gonna happen, if you just consider the tens of thousands paper-shovelling employees, in need to be engaged.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, JimTripper said:

It's odd to put a 5 year validity on a visa that is only good for 180 days. Most people don't need a 5 year window to plan a 6 month visit.

That's why many people are thinking it's good for 180 days each year for 5 years.

India has a 10 year visa , max stay is 6 months with 2 months between each entry
why cant Thailand EVER make things simple???  55555

My take of the 60 day free visa exempt>
Embassy's/ consulates will lose a fortune in visa fees>
as will immigration in Country on the 1,900 baht 30 day extension

I'd be willing to bet, 90% of tourists dont need more than 1 month -2 months  

Edited by zzzzz

12 hours ago, humbug said:

That article is a mess, in fact that news site has always been a mess to read on most articles

Integrity legal from a pattaya mail article in my mind hit the nail on their youtube on dtv

180 days then one more 180 days then the 5 year visa is void

What you say might turn out to be true. But why does it say the visa is multiple-entry then?!

22 hours ago, jacob29 said:

Visa durations begin from when you get stamped in.

Visa validity is the period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand. 

On entry your granted a period of stay subject to the type of entry.

The stamp is a permit notifying your permitted period of stay.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, John8 said:

Does the visa-free 60 days also mean 60 days extension at the immigrations office?

No. 30-days extension as we are aware of as per today.

On 5/28/2024 at 8:57 PM, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Assuming that's the actual (and only) criteria, it remains to be seen how they define "proof of financial support" - proof of income above a certain level, or what? showing 500k is easy if you have it - anyway I trust Thai government to come out with ways to "filter out" broke "digital nomads" while making it difficult even for those who do have money.

I make more than the $80k they want for LTR, and I work for a NASDAQ 100 company - which should make me eligible for LTR - but because I am legally employed at a private subsidiary rather than directly by the NASDAQ company, I'm ineligible. They're that strict and petty about it.

I was reading about that recently and for a private employer they need a revenue of $150 million or something like that. Basically, you need to work for a big company. Which sucks for me because i make a lot of money as an owner but my company isn't THAT big. Fingers crossed for the rules on this new one to not have that specific requirement.

Posted (edited)
On 5/28/2024 at 9:28 PM, humbug said:

It seems strange, seems the 5 year is really 180 days + another 180 days within a 5 year period, how they confirm other details is also going to be strange, as it will need a lot of correct information to pass an application, maybe they will put it with the LTR group of visas under BOI, seems a lot of miss translation or few details at the moment

It's a visa valid for 5 years, 180 days for one stay extendable another 180 days from my understanding.

Edited by BrianStar
wrong info

On 5/28/2024 at 6:05 PM, Robert Paulson said:

Sounds like they want the tax money. So can we just say we’re digital nomads. Someone explain to me why a digital nomad is going to get 180 days while a married expat has to jump through all kinds of hoops and report every90

Maybe because they don't complain incessantly.

What hoops?  Takes me a couple hours in total every year to comply with all the reporting and annual  visa application which is always accepted.  Assume you live in Pattaya where it can be more challenging but still quite easy.

On 5/28/2024 at 11:31 PM, JoeyMac said:

Whilst the visa length may be welcome by some, you have to think about whether Thailand will still look the same after the huge volume of people that are now going to be let in. 

This is not the good news people think. 

You will end up interacting with people that are dicks much more often, especially Thai's. Just the language barrier day in and day out at a popular restaurant is enough to make most people snap eventually. I'm seeing it all the time in Pattaya.

10 hours ago, Maitdjai said:

Not this article is a mess, the "LaLa-Land" fairytale announcements, are a mess. The name “Destination Thailand Visa” alone, is a joke for itself.
Usually, "Examiner" articles are much better researched, as many of the AI spoiled clickbait articles, of known other Farang-“news”-agencies.
Examiner just can reflect on the information, what's being given in the “announcement”. Until now, a rough frame of thoughts.
The only facts, so far, is the price, and the money you've to bring with you (subject to change).

To be not too harsh, the creative guys seem not to have a glance about the already existing mountains of bureaucrat garbage created in multiple decades. Considering different visa types, and all these engaged agencies in the processing. Plus the discretionary modified rules on local levels.

To sort that out, the only way would be to cancel most of the current schemes, and restart right from scratch.
But this is not gonna happen, if you just consider the tens of thousands paper-shovelling employees, in need to be engaged.

I think that news site, rehashes news articles by translating or using chatgpt, then adding the articles together, just feels like that, when reading some of their ling articles

14 minutes ago, BrianStar said:

It's a visa valid for 5 years, 180 days for one stay extendable another 180 days from my understanding.

It says validity of 5 years, where you get one 180 days and one more 180 day extension, then the visa is 'used' thats according to integrity legal videos on tbe subject, and like everyone else, everything can be subject to change, and unless its officially in use, nobody will know the truth

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, mstevens said:

What you say might turn out to be true. But why does it say the visa is multiple-entry then?!

Using the visa two times for extension is kinda multi-entry, it's not difficult for immigration to stamp 'used' once you have gained the 2nd extension of 180 days, within a validity of a 5 year visa

2 minutes ago, humbug said:

Using the visa two times for extension is kinda multi-entry, it's not difficult for immigration to stamp 'used' once you have gained the 2nd extension of 180 days, within a validity of a 5 year visa

It's confusing because some articles describe it as multi entry and others talk about the entry and an extension with the same cost as the visa. Best to wait for the official system to come out so it's more clear. I'll be happy not having to leave every 60 days.

29 minutes ago, BrianStar said:

It's confusing because some articles describe it as multi entry and others talk about the entry and an extension with the same cost as the visa. Best to wait for the official system to come out so it's more clear. I'll be happy not having to leave every 60 days.

Its a wait and see, but the target audience for the visa, cooking, sports, nomads, seminars, medical, won't be long term usage, unless they seperate the nomads into their own visa, so maybe people are confusing looking at long term stays of 12 months each time from the new visa, when its target audience is mostly short term usage

57 minutes ago, humbug said:

I think that news site, rehashes news articles by translating or using chatgpt, then adding the articles together, just feels like that, when reading some of their ling articles

"Thai Exeminer" exists ways longer, as the most of this average Joe, AI crap. 

If they use it, they know how to use the software. That's the point. Obviously, they're rechecking the articles, before they get published.

I don't like their videos, though.

That's AI for sure.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, atpeace said:

Maybe because they don't complain incessantly.

What hoops?  Takes me a couple hours in total every year to comply with all the reporting and annual  visa application which is always accepted.  Assume you live in Pattaya where it can be more challenging but still quite easy.

I had people come to my house to do one of those. And they come every time not just an unlucky show up. And then that wasn’t even the end. They asked my mil to come in and she lives quite far. She was working and I had to ask her to take a day off work. It was a complete fiasco. And I have no idea what you’re talking about on 2 hours. The stuff we did before that was well over 2 hours. More like days. 

7 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

I had people come to my house to do one of those. And they come every time not just an unlucky show up. And then that wasn’t even the end. They asked my mil to come in and she lives quite far. She was working and I had to ask her to take a day off work. It was a complete fiasco. And I have no idea what you’re talking about on 2 hours. The stuff we did before that was well over 2 hours. More like days. 

You mean officers? Why don't you just not answer the door and pretend you are not home?

Just now, JimTripper said:

You mean officers? Why don't you just not answer the door and pretend you are not home?

The only reason you’re not going through the same hoops, and yes that’s what they are, is because you live in an area there’s too much volume and they don’t have the manpower to do the home visits. From what I could gather the way they do things where I live is by the book. It’s a nightmare believe me. I will never do it again. Ever. 

On 5/31/2024 at 5:53 AM, BusNo8 said:

This is also vague. Perhaps just poor writing

Appears students studying IN Thailand. So that's Chinese PRC and a few Koreans

It does not appear to be gap year holiday for foreigners.

It said foreigner students studying in Thailand. And the last time I checked, Chinese and Koreans and anybody else not Thai are foreigners. Where is this vagueness you refer to? Perhaps just poor comprehension...

3 hours ago, JimTripper said:

You will end up interacting with people that are dicks much more often, especially Thai's. Just the language barrier day in and day out at a popular restaurant is enough to make most people snap eventually. I'm seeing it all the time in Pattaya.

Maybe they should try learning the language. 

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, JimTripper said:

That is what it sounds like, and only a one-time extension allowed.

Edited by shdmn