Best visa for me to live here?

9 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

I hope you are joking.

There are no visas by those names.

Even Thai immigration refers incorrectly to retirement visa and marriage visa.

What you are planning on doing is obtain a non O visa based on retirement. That provides a 90 day permission of stay (permit) you then extend your permission of stay each year by 12 months. 

Edit: OP, are you happy to close thread. Seems most of your visa, banking etc covered. 

Thread going into bickering

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Hello, I think I have my head around it, but need some advice from people who are actually doing it.

I am 53.

My father passed away and I sold his house so I am now ready to retire in Thailand.

I have holidayed here before in Pattaya once a long time ago, and Phuket once. Really enjoy the people, weather, cheap beer.

During Covid in London I met a lovely Thai lady in a “massage” place and we spent a lot of time together when she could not work and will marry in the future. She speaks very good English. 

We are in Phuket now for a holiday. It is wonderful. I am living my dream. Beautiful resort will a pool.
Her mother has given us some land up north where we build a house. They are very generous and sharing people. I offered to pay for it but her mother refused.

She has two kids, one is 20+ and lives somewhere else, the youngest will live with us.

My holiday visa runs out in 2 weeks. 

What is the best visa for my situation?

Retirement visa? I think might be good? Any pitfalls? Can you get it if you are married? My girlfriend is only 46, does that affect it?

Marriage visa? I heard that I can do before we get married if we are engaged and it is cheaper? Do I have to adopt her kid? Is that possible?

ED visa? Someone yesterday told me I don’t have to attend classes, can do it online. That way I will speak Thai which will be handy. I have already learned some words. Spy Tee My

Elites visa? It seems good but expensive and they might change the rules?

Do I have to leave Thailand to get a visa? 
Everyone seems to tell me different things. 

Thanks in advance for advice.

Have you googled the Board of Investment Long Term Visa?  there are 4 categories - I retired here 20 years ago on a Retirement O and did the yearly extension of stay, 90-day reports etc...but then I read about the LTR, I qualified for the wealthy pensioner and the qualifications and benefits seem to fit me perfectly.  It is much cheaper than the elite visa, it exempts monies earned overseas and remitted to Thailand.  If one still wants to work the BOI will help one get a work visa and the taxes earned in Thailand will be lower than normal.  Check out this visa - I did mine in 3 weeks.

1 hour ago, ArnieP said:

Otherwise he’s a complete fantasist. Ludicrous questions by the dozen (well, not yet).

I can not see any ludicrous questions from me?

Strange forum this one?

Meanwhile the other happier half answered solved my visa issues within two hours after I have spent the last two weeks in confusion as everyone I spoke to had a different story. I can not thank you enough.

Simply 

1) I must go to an agent tomorrow which I have already googled.

2)He will open my bank account and sort the visa paperwork.

3)I must go to Saigon to the Thai embassy to get an O visa 

4) Take O visa to Thailand embassy (not in Phuket but in girlfriends hometown) and swap it over for a retirement visa.

5) no need to change visas when I get married.

800,000 THBin the Kasikorn bank. Agent 5,000 THB 

Too easy.

One more question. Do I need to go to the British Embassy also in Saigon or do the Thais do it all for you?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

: OP, are you happy to close thread. Seems most of your visa, banking etc covered. 

Thread going into bickering

No please keep it open until I get my visa.

Really helpful.

Thank you very much.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

Too easy.

One more question. Do I need to go to the British Embassy also in Saigon or do the Thais do it all for you?

No just Thai consulate.

Think you are making easy difficult

If you are going to have agent open bank account. All good.

Then go on your trip to Vietnam as mini break.

Return to Thailand visa exempt and (seems) you will receive 60 day stamp.

In that time apply for non O retirement at local immigration office.

Preferably where you plan to live. 

The non O will provide 90 day stamp. After funds in bank for 2 months then apply for 12 month extension..

WISE is good option for fund transfer. Both Bangkok bank and Kasikorn can do Thai in one transfer. 

Here is thread outlines process of visa exempt entry to non O retirement.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1311886-visa-exempt-to-retirement-extension-process-and-cost/

Edit: some of your post I cut. Stick to topic. 

6 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

...That is why I thought a Educational visa might be a good one.

They teach you Thai and give you a visa...

You don't need an ED visa (education visa) to study Thai. Stay with the plan of the non-O visa (non-immigrant visa) for retirement. Once you have your Thai bank account with at least 800k Baht in it, you can apply at your local immigration office for it. This will give you permission to stay for 90 days and then you can apply for one-year extensions of stay.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Cop Coon Ca

Suggestion: don't attempt to write Thai words and expressions you hear using your own invented version of romanisation. It comes across as incomprehensible gibberish.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Marriage visa? I heard that I can do before we get married if we are engaged and it is cheaper?

You have to be legally married in order to apply for a Non-O visa based on marriage to a Thai national. 

16 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

During Covid in London I met a lovely Thai lady in a “massage” place and we spent a lot of time together when she could not work and will marry in the future. She speaks very good English

So during COVID she couldn't work yet she met you in a " massage " place 🤔

16 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You should use one of 3 banks imo as they allow transfers of over 50k per day using WISE

I would choose Kasikorn as they can provide 12 month bank statement on the spot. Bangkok bank cannot.

No offense but you seem to know very little about Thailand.

Opening a bank account is a process in itself. 

Some banks will require a "certificate of residence" 

Much more difficult than years gone by. 

What is your current location? 

For info.  You can now get up to one year PDF statement via email on the Bangkok Bank App, takes a few minutes.  Used it this year to obtain my Credit Advice Notes and for Immigration.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Presnock said:

Have you googled the Board of Investment Long Term Visa?  there are 4 categories - I retired here 20 years ago on a Retirement O and did the yearly extension of stay, 90-day reports etc...but then I read about the LTR, I qualified for the wealthy pensioner and the qualifications and benefits seem to fit me perfectly.  It is much cheaper than the elite visa, it exempts monies earned overseas and remitted to Thailand.  If one still wants to work the BOI will help one get a work visa and the taxes earned in Thailand will be lower than normal.  Check out this visa - I did mine in 3 weeks.

Thanks for the suggestion but I think I will go with retirement O visa.

1 hour ago, uksmdh said:

For info.  You can now get up to one year PDF statement via email on the Bangkok Bank App, takes a few minutes.  Used it this year to obtain my Credit Advice Notes and for Immigration.

It is a bit confusing. You say Bangkok Bank, Dr Jack says they are not good and Kaskorn is better.

The agent will know.

i hope. 

16 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If you go the marriage route, make sure that you get married at a local district office (amphur), not just the temple!

Your  information is wrong.

Girlfriend and others tell me you don’t get married at temples. 

And you don’t get married at the district office either. You just have to send them the forms at that office to get the certificate when you are married.

You have a lot to learn. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

It is a bit confusing. You say Bangkok Bank, Dr Jack says they are not good and Kaskorn is better.

The agent will know.

i hope. 

Nothing wrong with Bangkok bank.

I just suggested Kasikorn because they can provide 12 month bank statement on the spot. 200b.

Bangkok Bank cannot. Takes 5-7 days.

WISE allows up to 2 million baht per transfer to both those banks.

You most likely find most agents prefer to use Bangkok Bank

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Nothing wrong with Bangkok bank.

I just suggested Kasikorn because they can provide 12 month bank statement on the spot. 200b.

Bangkok Bank cannot. Takes 5-7 days.

WISE allows up to 2 million baht per transfer to both those banks.

You most likely find most agents prefer to use Bangkok Bank

ok. Thank you.

i am meeting the agent today. I will ask if he can do Kaskorn. I might open one of each, just to be on the safe side.

18 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You should use one of 3 banks imo as they allow transfers of over 50k per day using WISE

I would choose Kasikorn as they can provide 12 month bank statement on the spot. Bangkok bank cannot.

No offense but you seem to know very little about Thailand.

Opening a bank account is a process in itself. 

Some banks will require a "certificate of residence" 

Much more difficult than years gone by. 

What is your current location? 

Bangkok bank cannot issue a 12 month bank statement?

Oh... Never knew that, and I have a BB account.

• Agree 1

Just now, MalcolmB said:

ok. Thank you.

i am meeting the agent today. I will ask if he can do Kaskorn. I might open one of each, just to be on the safe side.

You don't need to open two.

Let the agent open a bank account either one.

Down the track when you have the non O and extension you will find it possible to open an account without using agent.

Having 2 bank accounts is not foolish.

Many folk have a dedicated bank account for immigration purposes and another for day to day banking

9 hours ago, Maestro said:

Suggestion: don't attempt to write Thai words and expressions you hear using your own invented version of romanisation. It comes across as incomprehensible gibberish.

thank you.....good for OP to try and learn some Thai but better to get a good book etc and practice a bit before you try to demonstrate your knowledge and end up looking silly...Thai is not an easy language and you have a long long long way to go.

3 minutes ago, ravip said:

Bangkok bank cannot issue a 12 month bank statement?

Oh... Never knew that, and I have a BB account.

Personally I do my extensions retirement money in bank method.

CW in recent 2 extensions have insisted on 12 month bank statement.

Folk using Bangkok Bank simply need to organize their statements week early. That is acceptable to immigration 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Many folk have a dedicated bank account for immigration purposes and another for day to day banking

Ok. 
maybe pay the agent to open one at Kaskorn.

Then I could open a second one at Kaskorn without an agent because they already know me.

Three would be best for me I think, one for living, one for building the house and one for immigration. Depends on the fees I guess.

2 minutes ago, pomchop said:

thank you.....good for OP to try and learn some Thai but better to get a good book etc and practice a bit before you try to demonstrate your knowledge and end up looking silly...Thai is not an easy language and you have a long long long way to go.

Yes I will need to speak Thai when I live up country.

Wife says most can not speak English up there, but I heard that they learn English at schools, so not really sure until I get there.

Just now, MalcolmB said:

Yes I will need to speak Thai when I live up country.

Wife says most can not speak English up there, but I heard that they learn English at schools, so not really sure until I get there.

As a former teacher "up there" i can assure you that most of the kids will not speak much if any english....they may well be able to read and write some but speaking and understanding spoken english is not all that common as many of the thai english teachers teach reading and writing but very little in way of speaking...in fact a lot of the thai teachers barely speak english themselves.

The first thing you should do is buy a good english thai phrase book and spend a LOT of time with it to get the basics down.  There are many many farangs who have lived in thailand for decades that dont know more than a few words....some don't care and many make a feeble attempt then give up.

Get a small notebook and try and write down words/phrases as you learn them and go over the list a LOT and yes by all means try it out on some thais but also be aware that many will sort ofact like they understand you and many will understand a few very basic words but most may well just stare at you and have no clue what you are trying to say.

It would also be a very good idea to try and find a good english speaking thai person and take some classes.

Best of luck.  It is not easy and most give up.....but if if if you really try and give it time it will ultimately be worth your effort to at least know the basics like greetings, directions, numbers, polite words, how to phrase questions, etc....do not however expect it to be quick or easy in spite of all the absurd promises of speak thai in 3 days type BS.

7 minutes ago, pomchop said:

Best of luck.  It is not easy and most give up.....but if if if you really try and give it time it will ultimately be worth your effort to at least know the basics like greetings, directions, numbers, polite words, how to phrase questions, etc....do not however expect it to be quick or easy in spite of all the absurd promises of speak thai in 3 days type BS.

Failure is not an option.

I met a New Zealander the other day who has lived here for six years who speaks fluent Thai. He did it during Covid.

He was adamant that the best way is to learn the Thai alphabet and learn that way.

The romanization way he said doesn’t work. I tend to believe him. He was excellent.

Last night I  learned the chicken.

today the egg.

Tomorrow is the bottle. 

Will take about a month. 

19 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I would choose Kasikorn

KB has a great mobile phone app, KPlus that provides for QR Code payments and Thai account bank transfers. KB has many ATM's.

Lots of good advice regarding Visa Banking etc. so I will stick to my advice about the relationship.

Do not move up country and build a house and live there UNTIL you have lived with her in a rented property for 12 months.

Then you will know if you two are truly compatible people - and only until then. 

Far too many Expats get taken up country straight away and spend too much of their money and then things go wrong.

Take your time mate - make sure she is for you, and that you for her - you have all the time in the world.

Has someone mentioend income taxes? You should read up - there is a thread on it. Some good advice some not - but be aware.

Stay out of Thailand this year for less than 180 days in total - then it is not an issue - until 2025 tax year (Jan to Dec).

20 hours ago, timendres said:

I recommend the retirement visa.

Avoid the marriage visa, unless you cannot afford the 800K deposit for the retirement visa.

See an agent. Do not bother with those who say it is illegal, it is not, if it was all the agents would have been shut down years ago, and just ignore any "saddo" emo's this answer will probably get.