Best visa for me to live here?

2 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Lots of good advice regarding Visa Banking etc. so I will stick to my advice about the relationship.

Do not move up country and build a house and live there UNTIL you have lived with her in a rented property for 12 months.

Then you will know if you two are truly compatible people - and only until then. 

Far too many Expats get taken up country straight away and spend too much of their money and then things go wrong.

Take your time mate - make sure she is for you, and that you for her - you have all the time in the world.

Has someone mentioend income taxes? You should read up - there is a thread on it. Some good advice some not - but be aware.

Stay out of Thailand this year for less than 180 days in total - then it is not an issue - until 2025 tax year (Jan to Dec).

Thanks for the tips, but I have known her for five years now and we talked everyday video on Line. Best woman I have ever met.

i heard you if married can send the money from England tax free and you just say it is a gift for your wife. 2 million per year.

All my money is an inheritance so I think that is exempt from the tax also.

i am meeting the agent later, he will probably know.

I think after living in London all my life that living up country in Thailand will be like being reborn. I want to fish farm, have chickens, grow vegetables and some rice, eat all organic natural stuff and slim down a lot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ravip said:

Bangkok bank cannot issue a 12 month bank statement?

Oh... Never knew that, and I have a BB account.

Funny!  I have had more than one account at Bangkok Bank for 20+ years...latest was 5 years ago as I had to have a self only acct for immigration and I get a 12-month statement issued by the main office as my acct is in CM.  Never had a problem with that!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NoshowJones said:

See an agent. Do not bother with those who say it is illegal, it is not, if it was all the agents would have been shut down years ago, and just ignore any "saddo" emo's this answer will probably get.

Thanks for the advice.

i am 100% certain now I will do the Retirement visa on an O type.

And use an agent to make it easier as you say. I didn’t even know that some people thought they were illegal.

You sure hear a lot of contradicting opinions about stuff here.

This forum is so helpful.

• Thanks 1

Universal Health Care Coverage: Impacts of the 30-Baht Health-Care Scheme on the Poor in Thailand

Sept. 2006

https://tdri.or.th/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/t5s2006001.pdf

PM Srettha Launches Healthcare “30-baht Treatment Anywhere” By Khaosod English - Jan. 7, 2024

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2024/01/07/pm-srettha-launches-healthcare-30-baht-treatment-anywhere/

Understanding the Healthcare System in Thailand

https://www.internationalinsurance.com/health/systems/thailand.php

There are other baht healthcare schemes. Baht schemes relate to government hospitals.

Thailand Hospital – Government vs Private Hospitals

https://www.lumahealth.com/health-insurance/thailand/government-private-hospital/

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

That is why I thought a Educational visa might be a good one.

They teach you Thai and give you a visa. 

I was speaking to a guy yesterday who has been here over 15 years and never bothered to learn Thai. It will make life a lot easier for me I think. 

I really like Thai people.

Just wait until you start riding a motorbike or driving a car. Yes, the Thai people in the vast majority of cases are honest and decent, just a pity about that, as I said, vast majorities road behaviour. 

20 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

I sold his house so I am now ready to retire in Thailand

Was that a UK taxable event, ie., a capital gains tax? Sale in 2024?

You make no mention of source of funds to live (ie., 180 days minimum per year) in Thailand. Thailand has passed new tax laws that can affect foreign residents living in Thailand.

What is Tax Free Retirement in Thailand?

https://www.franco-media.com/en/what-is-tax-free-retirement-in-thailand/

Will You Be Impacted by Thailand's Revised Tax Code?

https://btisolutions.co/will-you-be-impacted-by-thailands-revised-tax-code/

20 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Her mother has given us some land up north where we build a house. They are very generous and sharing people. I offered to pay for it but her mother refused.

Something of note:

The Risks of Owning Property in Thailand - The Risks of Owning Property in Thailand Under Your Thai Spouse’s Name. Protecting Your Assets

https://isaanlawyers.com/the-risks-of-owning-property-in-thailand/

A common practice among expat couples in Thailand is to register property under the Thai spouse’s name to circumvent laws restricting foreign ownership of land. Expats may have invested significant funds in purchasing the property, either through direct contributions or financial support during the marriage. If the property remains under the Thai spouse’s name, the expat has no legal protection for their financial investment.

There are Protective Measures to Safeguard Your Property Interests, ie., Usufruct.

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

It takes years to learn the language. I studied it intensively for 9.5 years before moving here. The idea you can move to some rural village and "immerse" yourself in the language is a total myth. The only way that could even happen would be if your domestic partner and you only spoke Thai at home, which is clearly not the case. 99% of the guys I've ever met in rural Thailand who speak English with their spouse never get out of the starting blocks in terms of learning Thai. Chances are you're going to be very socially isolated, no matter how much you like Thai people. 

"Chances are you're going to be very socially isolated,"

That can be very true. When I first arrived here to stay 18 years ago I made lots of friends and aquaintances, now they have all died or moved away and I am on my own. The good thing is I have a happy marriage and family life.

Also, apart from the very odd two or three, there are a lot of posters here on AN who will be very helpful to you with any problems you might encounter.

16 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Was that a UK taxable event, ie., a capital gains tax? Sale in 2024?

You make no mention of source of funds to live (ie., 180 days minimum per year) in Thailand. Thailand has passed new tax laws that can affect foreign residents living in Thailand.

What is Tax Free Retirement in Thailand?

https://www.franco-media.com/en/what-is-tax-free-retirement-in-thailand/

Will You Be Impacted by Thailand's Revised Tax Code?

https://btisolutions.co/will-you-be-impacted-by-thailands-revised-tax-code/

My father’s accountant and lawyer sorted all that out. 

I don’t mind paying tax in Thailand, only seems fair if I am living here.

i am not going to work ever again. I am runnin free.

10 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Something of note:

The Risks of Owning Property in Thailand - The Risks of Owning Property in Thailand Under Your Thai Spouse’s Name. Protecting Your Assets

https://isaanlawyers.com/the-risks-of-owning-property-in-thailand/

A common practice among expat couples in Thailand is to register property under the Thai spouse’s name to circumvent laws restricting foreign ownership of land. Expats may have invested significant funds in purchasing the property, either through direct contributions or financial support during the marriage. If the property remains under the Thai spouse’s name, the expat has no legal protection for their financial investment.

There are Protective Measures to Safeguard Your Property Interests, ie., Usufruct.

The way I see it is she (her mother) is giving us the land and I will be paying for the building. So in for half each. So IF, and it is a big if, we divorce I am happy to sell it and give er half of it anyway.

seems a lot fairer than in England from a man’s prospective 

18 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

It has got worse the last ten years.

I don’t care if I never go back ever. Which is why I sold up and moved here.

If there is a better country to live I would be open to it if I could take my girlfriend.

If you take away some ridiculous immigration issues Thailand is still much better than the UK ie no council tax, no TV license, in most cases, no authorities to worry about if you want to improve or add to your property, power bills very cheap compared to the UK etc.

5 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

is giving us the land and I will be paying for the building

Owner of the land will be your wife, not you.

Who paid for the house construction will be irrelevant , in case things get ugly , later down the road

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

"Her mother has given us some land up north where we build a house."

She has given her some land, foreigners can't own land.

"Retirement visa? I think might be good? Any pitfalls? Can you get it if you are married? My girlfriend is only 46, does that affect it?"

Put 800K thb in a Thai bank account. Her age has nothing to do with it.

"Marriage visa? I heard that I can do before we get married if we are engaged and it is cheaper? Do I have to adopt her kid? Is that possible?"

400K thb in a Thai bank account, Need to married, can't get it earlier. Youngest kid becomes your responsibility too when married, don't have to take any action. 

"ED visa? Someone yesterday told me I don’t have to attend classes, can do it online."

Need to take classes and limited duration. 

The classes are online indeed, many in the south do that with a university south of hang dong, chiang mai. They only have to visit here once in 3-6 months. It's around 60-70K per year and can be done many years. They do actually have a 1-2 hour lesson and some homework too but can be remote.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

4 hours ago, uksmdh said:

For info.  You can now get up to one year PDF statement via email on the Bangkok Bank App, takes a few minutes.  Used it this year to obtain my Credit Advice Notes and for Immigration.

Thanks very much for that. I just looked and found it. Very helpful. Now, if they'll just not disable my bank app because the sim is in my wife's name

11 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Thanks very much for that. I just looked and found it. Very helpful. Now, if they'll just not disable my bank app because the sim is in my wife's name

Be aware some immigration offices will not accept bank statements that you print out from app.

Required bank certification 

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Be aware some immigration offices will not accept bank statements that you print out from app.

Required bank certification 

So far, I've not needed a statement from Chaenwattana, but I usually take one along from Bangkok Bank just in case. In the past, that meant ordering one at the branch office, getting a receipt, and having the statement emailed to me. The above poster did say that this is similar. It takes 1-2 days to receive a pdf from the bank. I don't know how immigration would receive this elsewhere obviously. Just hope I never actually need it at Chaengwattana.

Just now, John Drake said:

Just hope I never actually need it at Chaengwattana

The reason I was refused is that as I use a dedicated bank account and there was a month with no transactions. Feel this is ridiculous.

Can understand the consolidated transactions reason for required statements.

Had a chat with the head chick L32 rear and got the impression that statements may be required in future. 

• Agree 1

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Had a chat with the head chick L32 rear and got the impression that statements may be required in future. 

That's why I always go prepared for the eventuality, along with two sets of photocopies for the material supporting the extension, extra photos, copies of my lease with the landlord's ID, two copies of bank book activity over the past year. I remember when I was surprised with the latter requirement one year when up to that time I had only been required to include the page from the bank book showing that day's activity.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

And you don’t get married at the district office either.

Your girlfriend's information is incorrect,  I was married at the amphur (district office), at Bang Rak in Bangkok where they gave me a Marriage Certificate.  Our divorce was also conducted there, where they provided the Divorce Certificate.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

The way I see it is she (her mother) is giving us the land and I will be paying for the building. So in for half each. So IF, and it is a big if, we divorce I am happy to sell it and give er half of it anyway.

As the property will be in her name, you won't be selling anything.  She'll be the one doing the selling and you have to hope that she will be happy to give you half.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

See an agent. Do not bother with those who say it is illegal, it is not, if it was all the agents would have been shut down years ago, and just ignore any "saddo" emo's this answer will probably get.

I have used the same agent for 10 years.

If you can afford an agent, it is recommended.

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

As the property will be in her name, you won't be selling anything.  She'll be the one doing the selling and you have to hope that she will be happy to give you half.

Divorced eh?

can’t imagine why.

23 minutes ago, timendres said:

I have used the same agent for 10 years.

If you can afford an agent, it is recommended.

Just met with one.

we are doing the bank accounts tomorrow at Kaskorn.

Once again, thanks to everyone for advice.

Will update as we go. 

I agree with the advice in regard to a retirement visa but if you can meet the qualifications of a wealthy pensioner ($80K passive income and health insurance (not necessarily Thai insurance)) then a 10-year LTR visa would be a better choice.  No bank account required, 90-day reporting is changed to report once a year and if you want to open a bank account it's easy with and LTR visa (and yes, I know that for a fact because myself and a friend received our LTR's at the same time and he walked into a Kasikorn Bank in Bangkok the next day and had a savings account 30 minutes later.  He was staying in a hotel at the time and no certificate of residence).  If you don't meet the LTR requirements, then I would stick to an "O" visa (it's what I was going to change my "OA" too before I discovered the LTR).

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Thanks for the advice.

i am 100% certain now I will do the Retirement visa on an O type.

And use an agent to make it easier as you say. I didn’t even know that some people thought they were illegal.

You sure hear a lot of contradicting opinions about stuff here.

This forum is so helpful.

IF you can meet the requirements of the LTR visa it is a much better option.  If you can't meet the requirements, you are on the right track with the "O".

On 5/29/2024 at 8:48 AM, MalcolmB said:

Hello, I think I have my head around it, but need some advice from people who are actually doing it.

I am 53.

My father passed away and I sold his house so I am now ready to retire in Thailand.

I have holidayed here before in Pattaya once a long time ago, and Phuket once. Really enjoy the people, weather, cheap beer.

During Covid in London I met a lovely Thai lady in a “massage” place and we spent a lot of time together when she could not work and will marry in the future. She speaks very good English. 

We are in Phuket now for a holiday. It is wonderful. I am living my dream. Beautiful resort will a pool.
Her mother has given us some land up north where we build a house. They are very generous and sharing people. I offered to pay for it but her mother refused.

She has two kids, one is 20+ and lives somewhere else, the youngest will live with us.

My holiday visa runs out in 2 weeks. 

What is the best visa for my situation?

Retirement visa? I think might be good? Any pitfalls? Can you get it if you are married? My girlfriend is only 46, does that affect it?

Marriage visa? I heard that I can do before we get married if we are engaged and it is cheaper? Do I have to adopt her kid? Is that possible?

ED visa? Someone yesterday told me I don’t have to attend classes, can do it online. That way I will speak Thai which will be handy. I have already learned some words. Spy Tee My

Elites visa? It seems good but expensive and they might change the rules?

Do I have to leave Thailand to get a visa? 
Everyone seems to tell me different things. 

Thanks in advance for advice.

A non-immigrant O-visa (called "non-O") as retiree and extension of stay based on retirement might be the best for you. This is the easiest paperwork and you are not dependant of being married to a Thai.

A retirement extension requires that you have 800,000 baht in a Thai bank deposit or not less than 65,000 baht in monthly transfers into Thailand.

You might be able to apply for a non-O visa domestically, but you'll need a Thai bank account in your name with 800,000 baht (monthly transfer cannot be used here). It might be easier to get a non-O visa abroad and enter on that, it will give you 90 days of stay and with a long stay-visa it might be easier to open a Thai bank account, which you shall do immediately after entering Thailand. Your deposit needs to mature for two month before you can apply for extension of stay based on retirement – or you need two monthly transfers of not less than 65,000 baht each – which you preferably shall do two weeks before the end of the 90-days stay.

I'm using the retirement extension-method and 800,000 baht bank deposit, it's the easiest way to stay in Thailand.

8 minutes ago, khunPer said:

You might be able to apply for a non-O visa domestically, but you'll need a Thai bank account in your name with 800,000 baht (monthly transfer cannot be used here). It might be easier to get a non-O visa abroad and enter on that,

OP, has clearly stated currently in Thailand and does not want to return to UK.

Has organized a agent for bank account tomorrow.

Going to Vietnam and when returns visa exempt will have plenty of time to obtain non O retirement at local immigration office..

This topic seems to have run its course. The OP has been given extensive information by many members to fully answer his questions.

:mfr_closed1:

• Thumbs Up 1