I was bored out of my mind in Pattaya

27 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

I would do that. Travel the world. The problem is cost.

doesn't have to be the world, when in Thailand, Philippines wherever travel around, buses, trains, the travel itself can be part of the fun

2 hours ago, susanlea said:

The water quality in Hua Hin in the centre of town near the kite surfers was good. The beaches are actually very long in parts and not that many people. Anywhere from Soi 88 south was good for the beach. The beach at the northern end towards the airport was the worst.

The rain season is not so good, and got stung by jellyfish a few times before I gave up my morning swim. The morning walk on the beach is great, and meet regulars and also managed to get a few dates when I was still single with a few morning birds. 

Hua Hin gets boring after awhile to, but can be a great base not to far from Bangkok, Suan Phueng, Kanchanaburi, and great base to travel south by car. 

Not to forget the train will give great uppertunities at once it is running as planned. 

32 minutes ago, Hummin said:

The rain season is not so good, and got stung by jellyfish a few times before I gave up my morning swim. The morning walk on the beach is great, and meet regulars and also managed to get a few dates when I was still single with a few morning birds. 

Hua Hin gets boring after awhile to, but can be a great base not to far from Bangkok, Suan Phueng, Kanchanaburi, and great base to travel south by car. 

Not to forget the train will give great uppertunities at once it is running as planned. 

It is fine for people who want to relax. If you want nightclubs though it isn't for you. Plenty of small bars but I didn't see any nightclubs.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

doesn't have to be the world, when in Thailand, Philippines wherever travel around, buses, trains, the travel itself can be part of the fun

It helps to see somewhere new.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I've been staying down at Khanom Beach, on the mainland and opposite Samui.  The beach is about 12km long and almost deserted.  Absolutely beautiful! But..... I like quiet places, but Khanom is like a morgue - it is too quiet even for a recluse like me 🙂

I'd go back to teaching in the classroom again, but the word seems to have gone round and no-one will employ me LoL.  Still, I make enough teaching online, but I might look for somewhere a little more populated than Khanom

IMG20240522110822.jpg.50939d422bf1df8933145bf56028fa37.jpg

Edited by simon43
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I've been staying down at Khanom Beach, on the mainland and opposite Samui.  The beach is about 12km long and almost deserted.  Absolutely beautiful! But..... I like quiet places, but Khanom is like a morgue - it is too quiet even for a recluse like me 🙂

I'd go back to teaching in the classroom again, but the word seems to have gone round and no-one will employ me LoL.  Still, I make enough teaching online, but I might look for somewhere a little more populated than Khanom

Set up your computer under the tree and teach whilst eating coconut. Looks really good. I saw a good gym at Khanom.

1 hour ago, susanlea said:

It is fine for people who want to relax. If you want nightclubs though it isn't for you. Plenty of small bars but I didn't see any nightclubs.

Hilton used to have one, but havent been there since 2007. I think it is still there, and aften Binta bab closes, everyone who still up gor party goes the the bars underneath the entrance. Never really understood where it is exactly, due to been so toxicated those two times I have been there. Just remember alot of girls.

52 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Definitely gets you away from the hustle and bustle, but living in Nakhon (Nowhere) Si Thammarat wouldn't be my definition of idyllic. 

Looks like that beach also gets its share of garbage being returned to it from the sea, but I guess that's a problem everywhere in Thailand now once you treat the ocean as a landfill. 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, ChumpChange said:

Looks like that beach also gets its share of garbage being returned to it from the sea, but I guess that's a problem everywhere in Thailand now once you treat the ocean as a landfill. 

I wonder if the plastic waste gets trapped in the gulf like a toilet that won't flush. It pushes ashore with the current then when it rains it washes back in and repeats.

IMG_0554.png

Edited by JimTripper

22 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Maybe, but probably not very common. It's also hard to get one for doing yardwork.

Not so. The Pattaya orphanage has loads of foreign volunteers working for them.

If it's the family or the wife's yard there is no need to get a permit.

21 hours ago, susanlea said:

Are you happy?

If people are honest with themselves, is anyone actually "happy"?

The only time I was ever "happy" was in Antarctica, and not all the time even there- other people are always a problem. It's the only time in my life I felt useful. Leaving it was the biggest downer of my life.

Too many bullies in school, the military and nursing to be "happy".

The best I can say is that parts of my life were OK, like when I was on holiday in LOS,but knowing that it ends in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 day is a drag.

If there was a time I was "content" it was the last year I ever lived in LOS, after I left the monstress from hell ( my wife ) and before I returned to real life in NZ. I did very little, so very little happened to become a problem.

I think I should have been a hermit. Too late now with all the problems of old age decrepitude.

Perhaps my ideal job would have been a lighthouse keeper. If there were any  lighthouse keepers any more that might have been a great job for me. I'd have enjoyed being the sole occupant of a small island in a large ocean tending the light that keeps people safe.

I once upon a time applied to work on Campbell Island but the existing maintenance man changed his mind about leaving so that came to naught.

I think that there is no such thing as a "plan" in life. It's just too chaotic to be sure that it'll work out. I always started a new job with great hopes, but it wasn't too long before the bullying started.

20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

3 weeks in koh chang is 2+ weeks too long, in Pattaya you have lot's of choice what to do, not so in koh Chang 

LOL. The attraction of places like Chang is that there isn't much to do. Bliss.

Perhaps being able to relax is a learned skill that some never learn.

Being able to amuse oneself is so much better than having to be entertained by others.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm happy most of the time since I've been living in SEA. Obviously it's not a 24/7 emotion, I was unhappy for 30 minutes yesterday after my rabbit bit me. I'm happy now browsing the forums, reading a book, lying on the sofa. Weather is perfect, waiting for a pal to call round and we'll go out on our scooters for coffee.

Best not to plan all that much and just enjoy what you have around you.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The only time I was ever "happy" was in Antarctica, and not all the time even there- other people are always a problem. It's the only time in my life I felt useful. Leaving it was the biggest downer of my life.

Too many bullies in school, the military and nursing to be "happy".

The best I can say is that parts of my life were OK, like when I was on holiday in LOS,but knowing that it ends in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 day is a drag.

If there was a time I was "content" it was the last year I ever lived in LOS, after I left the monstress from hell ( my wife ) and before I returned to real life in NZ. I did very little, so very little happened to become a problem.

I think I should have been a hermit. Too late now with all the problems of old age decrepitude.

Perhaps my ideal job would have been a lighthouse keeper. If there were any  lighthouse keepers any more that might have been a great job for me. I'd have enjoyed being the sole occupant of a small island in a large ocean tending the light that keeps people safe.

I once upon a time applied to work on Campbell Island but the existing maintenance man changed his mind about leaving so that came to naught.

I think that there is no such thing as a "plan" in life. It's just too chaotic to be sure that it'll work out. I always started a new job with great hopes, but it wasn't too long before the bullying started.

I see it more as people bouncing problems off each other, not bullying.

Nobody wants a problem or negative energy so they need to transfer it onto someone else. Content people tend to like solitude for that reason.

It's at extremes in prisons. The first thing most inmates will do to someone new they meet is make "their problem, your problem".

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

New Zealand doesn't allow their citizens to get the old age pension overseas ???? 😮

It does with countries that have reciprocal pension agreements. Thailand is not one of them.

1 minute ago, JimTripper said:

I see it more as people bouncing problems off each other, not bullying.

Nobody wants a problem or negative energy so they need to transfer it onto someone else. Content people tend to like solitude for that reason.

You are wrong. The military and nursing are full of management level bullies. Why else is it so hard to get new nurses now? I'd never recommend nursing for anyone.

My school had institutional bullying. That's all gone now, but too late for me.

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm happy most of the time since I've been living in SEA. Obviously it's not a 24/7 emotion, I was unhappy for 30 minutes yesterday after my rabbit bit me. I'm happy now browsing the forums, reading a book, lying on the sofa. Weather is perfect, waiting for a pal to call round and we'll go out on our scooters for coffee.

Assuming your life is as you portray it on here you are one of the lucky ones.

You have enough money to live as you want to.

Try living on a pension in NZ and I guarantee you won't be happy.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You are wrong. The military and nursing are full of management level bullies. Why else is it so hard to get new nurses now? I'd never recommend nursing for anyone.

My school had institutional bullying. That's all gone now, but too late for me.

I did some hospital work early on as a very young man and never fit in. There was always something odd about hospital co-workers. I never could put my finger on what it was and assumed it was just the environment with sick people, etc. I even got fired from a couple places. Not really bullying, but lack of acceptance.

I have also met nurses, mostly male ones, that had that same weird vibe even when they were not at work. One was a gay couple that lived next door that kept coming over onto my property and chopping down my ivy because it was growing on my side of the fence.

Edited by JimTripper

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Assuming your life is as you portray it on here you are one of the lucky ones.

You have enough money to live as you want to.

Try living on a pension in NZ and I guarantee you won't be happy.

Don't think I'd be happy trying to live on a pension in the UK either.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I never got the point of tourists flying to their destination once in LOS. For me the journey by train or bus was part of the holiday experience, not something to be avoided.

What was so great about sitting on a pile of sand that one has to pay large to sit in a metal tube for a while and not see anything as it passes by just to get there a few hours sooner?

I was once quite boggled on the airport train after arriving in Bkk. A young western tourist got on and never once took his face out of his computer to look out of the window. One had to wonder why he bothered paying large to go to LOS if he had no interest in it?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Why do you think it's common in nursing?

Could it be that nurses are absorbing problems and negative energy from sick patients, then projecting it back on healthy staff nearby in the form of bullying?

It's a bit simpler than that. Most bullying is by people that don't work with patients.

Nurse managers are nurses that don't want to be nurses, and in my experience are often not very nice people. The people that like nursing and don't try to become managers are not usually bullies. There are exceptions of course. My last charge nurse in NZ was the loveliest person one could imagine. Sadly she got bullied out of her job by higher management.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I never got the point of tourists flying to their destination once in LOS. For me the journey by train or bus was part of the holiday experience, not something to be avoided.

What was so great about sitting on a pile of sand that one has to pay large to sit in a metal tube for a while and not see anything as it passes by just to get there a few hours sooner?

I was once quite boggled on the airport train after arriving in Bkk. A young western tourist got on and never once took his face out of his computer to look out of the window. One had to wonder why he bothered paying large to go to LOS if he had no interest in it?

i enjoyed constant travel during my year travelling round the world but it was also nice to settle sometimes when the planets aligned

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. The attraction of places like Chang is that there isn't much to do. Bliss.

Perhaps being able to relax is a learned skill that some never learn.

Being able to amuse oneself is so much better than having to be entertained by others.

You can stay in Pattaya and do nothing and relax, the difference is on koh Chang etc there's little choice

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

i enjoyed constant travel during my year travelling round the world but it was also nice to settle sometimes when the planets aligned

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not sure what planet you are from, but travel is tiring and very stressful if it's done constantly. Makes perfect sense that some people want to fly to their destination rather then take a bus or train.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, ChumpChange said:

Within our day you reckon? 😊

I still have good 25 - 30 years I hope if I live as long as my average in my family, so, we will see, but I do not think I will be in  thailand after 80. 

Most of my life I was chasing happiness, and I guess I was happy accomplishing my goals, but not as happy as I am now. Older viser more secured, and hope I can maintain this for years to come. I also believe I require less for my self, and expect less from people these days, do not get as much upset by world news or other people anymore. Maybe most important, I have a wife I feel I can live with for rest of my life, who give me alot more than she knows she do and hope she feels the same way. Mutual respect and chemistry and willing to go the extra mile helps.  Most important Im not so afraid to fail anymore as I was when younger, and thats a game changer, at least for me. 

Being bored is part of a good life, because boredom give inspiration to do something about status Q, as well boredom gives contrasts when you make small changes in the daily life.

Its all about the colour you painting with to brighten up your days. 

Happiness is like a garden, you forget to care for your garden,,,,,,,,, 

Mixing it up can be fun. Fly some place then catch a bus next time. Finding a new gym or trying a different beach. Young people view the world through facebook and miss the actual world.