Staffer pays the price for dine-and-dash at Phuket cafe

snoop1130

Screenshot-2024-05-29-115220.jpg

A staffer at the Cafe Dim Sum Phuket took to social media to warn fellow service workers about a crafty scam that left her out of pocket. The alarming incident occurred on May 23 at the bustling eatery near the iconic Clocktower Circle in Phuket Town.

Nong Lin, an employee at the popular restaurant, recounted her experience with a group of diners who executed a clever ruse to evade payment. The group arrived around 11am, enjoyed a swift meal for about 20 minutes, and then made a hasty exit, leaving one woman behind to settle the bill.

The woman, appearing flustered and preoccupied with a phone call, requested to pay the bill via a QR code. She scanned the code but, in her rush, failed to confirm the transaction before leaving the premises. By the time the staff realised the payment had not gone through, the group had already vanished.

Speaking to reporters on May 27, Nong Lin shared that this was her first encounter with such a scam. Shockingly, she was held responsible for the 285 baht shortfall, deducted from her day’s wages. Her online post about the incident quickly went viral, attracting significant attention and sparking heated discussions among locals.

The management of Cafe Dim Sum Phuket is now reviewing its payment procedures to prevent similar occurrences in the future, reported Phuket News.

Meanwhile, Nong Lin’s cautionary tale serves as a stark reminder to all service staff to double-check mobile payments before allowing customers to leave.

By Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Photo courtesy of Eakkapop Thongtub via Phuket News

Source: The Thaiger 2024-05-29

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 3
  • Love It 1

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

I really disagree with this policy which seems to be all over Thailand. Individual employees should not be held responsible for a shortfall.

The amount of times I've heard this sob story it must happen around 100,000 times a day at every restaurant in the country. 😉

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The alarming incident occurred on May 23 at the bustling eatery near the iconic Clocktower Circle in Phuket Town.

Bustling eatery?  2 cars and a couple of bikes!

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

A lot of this going on, my wife was caught for 460 baht when the customer showed her a confirmation if payment, but it was a screen shot of a previous transaction if the same amount

1 hour ago, Almer said:

A lot of this going on, my wife was caught for 460 baht when the customer showed her a confirmation if payment, but it was a screen shot of a previous transaction if the same amount

seems to me just a matter of time when you mix digital payment and cash.......just like crypto scams....cash is king for me

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Surely the group of diners eating for only 285 is not right. 

I'm unable to eat alone for that little money 

i eat one meal and less than 100 bt a day....watermelon+4 pack yogurt+2 boiled eggs

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

be hard pressed to find ANY thai place without security cameras all about...if they can get a pic Id be posting the culprits all over FB and to give them the change to right the wrong....name n shame is a powerful tool and is forever

• Agree 1

Just now, SAFETY FIRST said:

Oh dear, not enough nutrition, you'll be dead in a couple of years.

we will all be dead in a couple of years the way things are going and has nothing to do with my diet!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

Our daughter worked in the US on a travel and work programme visa during university summer break. She indicated there, any breakages, dropped meals etc had to be paid for by the employee. I was stunned that happened in the US. I'm assuming it would be the same for dine and dash incidents.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, ukrules said:

Surely this is illegal, as a business operator you can't offload all your liability onto the staff.

What if there was an armed robbery? Make the staff pay?

No, its not illegal in Thailand. Often It is Part of the Contract with the Emploje.

• Sad 2

How does this work in other countries?

I remember long time ago in my home country I asked a waitress about this, and she told me if she does not collect the correct amount of money that is her fault, and she has to pay the difference.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

She failed to verify that the QR method of payment had been confirmed as received, this is part of her job description.

I don't like bosses holding staff accountable for losses but in this instance the staffer stuffed up.

Maybe. Still no reason to let the staff pay for it 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

In a Popular Mostly Thai Pattaya Bar/Resturant I can confirm 

The Employee is made to pay an unpaid bill the customer does not pay.

Girlfriends son was working for only 10 days and went to get some food for another table

he said it took only about 3 minutes.  Only about 400 baht but that is what he earned for working in one night.

This Same Popular Bar/Resturant All the employees were scheduled to work this week.

Manager notified All employees Monday when scheduled to Work, they will be Renovating the place and they are Closed for 5 days.

Unfortunately it seems some Thai Businesses should improve on How they view and treat their employees.

The employees are a key part of the success of your business and there is little benefit in treating them poorly.

On 5/29/2024 at 11:58 PM, ukrules said:

Surely this is illegal, as a business operator you can't offload all your liability onto the staff.

What if there was an armed robbery? Make the staff pay?

It was the waitress fault as she didn't watch the payment complete.

Up in CM if you pay with QR, the waitress takes a photo of the payment screen as confirmation.

This event was negligence on the waitress part.

16 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

and those too lazy to pay cash or say they dont want cash stolen or lost then i;; just pickpocket your phone--+your banking app..thanks in advance

Can they also pickpocket your fingerprint and PIN?

16 hours ago, BusyB said:

It's really disgusting and exploitative - especially given already exploitative wage levels and conditions.

Jesus if you can't give your staff a 285 baht one-off break under those circumstances you are an utter scum-bag. 

This is reality. It happens everywhere, in one way or another.

Yes, it's really disgusting and exploitative.

• Thumbs Up 1