5 year multiple entry DTV visa (Destination Thailand) from 2024-xx-xx

19 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Already posted in my previous reply.

And I have already pointed out the flaws in your interpretation. There was nothing clear about it at all.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Looks good, might be an alternative to a retirement VISA/extension.

Stay 180 days, extend once (assuming 1,900bht), border hop, rinse and repeat.

I don't think so but you never know.

The way I have heard it described is it is a multi entry visa meaning two entries over a 5 year duration of visa validity. So that is only one year in country over five years duration.

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

This would basically make the ELITE VISA completely useless.........if its just 100,000 baht to have it for 5 years......vs 900,000

Would They really allow that? Whats the catch?

Maybe it is only for one year only?

11 minutes ago, george said:

180 days/year is how I see it.

I agree with your view of how it will wash out. Because 180 days means that Thailand won't have to deal with the tax residence issue. Japan's newly released digital nomad visa had a similar condition. 180 days in the country a year, you can reapply each year, but stopped DN being a headache to the revenue office. If you did extend it once and stayed for 360 days, you would firmly then be in tax resident status for that year, and all your income earned whilst performing your remote work is Thai sourced, even though it's paid by an overseas entity. Will be interesting to see if there is anything said about that and tax/work permissions.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, CHdiver said:

If they don't ask for the 500k baht to be in Thailand, I would go for this visa..

$14-15K USD seems a reasonable amount for a reserve to insure Thailand isn't stuck with a hospital bill should anything go wrong.  At the end of the term, the 500K would still belong to me.  That's a lot more palatable to me than requiring health insurance, which is money that's gone.  And for a lot of us with pre-existing conditions, it's money that's wasted since coverage would be denied on that basis for the issues most likely to send us to hospital.

My guess is that anyone who isn't able and willing to stash 500K in a Thai bank isn't in their target demographic anyway.  That's not a judgment of personal virtue.  Just pragmatism.

Edit:  To anyone who thinks their big nestegg in a back home bank should suffice, here's a thought experiment...  Imagine how you'd access that money laying unconscious (or worse) in a hospital bed.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

It aint that good really....

You can only stay here for up to 180 days, then extend for another 180 days... That is only 360 days.

There are 365 days in a year, so it means you have to leave the country for 5 days every year.

You will also have to pay 1900 every extension. So with the 10K fee that doubles the cost over 5 years.

I may as well just keep on my 12 month extended non-imm O visa, it requires just 1 immigration visit per year and is half the price.

Edited by Brewster67
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Example, you entered Thailand 1st Jan on the DTV, permitted to stay until 30th June.

Depart March, re-enter April, permitted to stay until 30th June.

Same as an extension of stay with re-entry permit.

It clearly states you can only stay 180 days within a year, with the option of using that one time 180 day extension.

No. Not 180 days within 1 year.

It's 180 days for the five year validity period, that can be extended once for another 10k.

That's how I read it. 

So for long time stayers it will be a one time affair for 360 days and 20k THB. After this need to look for another alternative visa. 

And knowing Thai immigration, they'll be very suspicious if you show up after this 360 days period (taken all at once) and trying to enter on visa exempt...

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

They say the DTV costs 10,000 baht but people need to take into account the horrendous exchange rates each embassy uses.

A Tourist Visa is supposed to cost 1000 baht but Thai Embassy in Australia charges A$60 (non-imm O is 2000 baht but costs A$120). So a DTV at 10,000 baht means they'll charge A$600 which is really 14,500 baht at the actual echange rate

Edited by Pattaya57

7 hours ago, CHdiver said:

If they don't ask for the 500k baht to be in Thailand, I would go for this visa..

They will, prop up the Thai banking system

3 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Example, you entered Thailand 1st Jan on the DTV, permitted to stay until 30th June.

Depart March, re-enter April, permitted to stay until 30th June.

Same as an extension of stay with re-entry permit.

It clearly states you can only stay 180 days within a year, with the option of using that one time 180 day extension.

It's 180 days for the five year validity period, that can be extended once for another 10k.

That's how I read it. 

So for long time stayers it will be a one time affair for 360 days and 20k THB. After this need to look for another alternative visa. 

And knowing Thai immigration, they'll be very suspicious if you show up after this 360 days period (taken all at once) and trying to enter on visa exempt...

• Confused 3

No mention of taxes yet which is considering the visa is made exactly so you become a tax resident. Once you stay the 180 days they may ask for your tax bill on your money they know you earned in Thailand. It's a trap! 🙂

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, Jack1988 said:

So it's only 10k fee for 5 years or you have to pay every year ? Plus the extension at immigration if you want 

I am not sure about the 5-year visa bit as it allows two stays only of 180 days which is equal more or less to two Thai tax resident period and this is allowed in a 5-year period.  Does it mean that you could extend for 360 days the first year and then could not come again unless under a different visa? for each of the next 4 years or could you just apply for another 5-year (1 year of 180+180 days) again?  Just wondering

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JayClay said:

But 180 + 180 is 360. This means you would only need to spend 5 days out of Thailand per year. I think most people would be fine with that.

In other areas of the Thai media, it's claimed we've all got it wrong.

They claim the DTV will permit a total stay of 180 days over the 5 year validity of the visa, with a further single extension of 180 days = 20,000BHT for 360 days over 5 years.  🤪

The DTV won't be available until June 2025.

See Thai examiner and Pattaya News.

Edited by Liquorice

Don't hold your breathe, the government said it will be open in June 2025. Many things can happen during that time.

Regarding the 500k bahts, I guess it will be something similar to the METV when you needed to show bank statements showing $5000 sitting there. 

26 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

No mention of taxes yet which is considering the visa is made exactly so you become a tax resident. Once you stay the 180 days they may ask for your tax bill on your money they know you earned in Thailand. It's a trap! 🙂

most people (i believe) are OK to contribute by paying taxes to the country that welcome them. It seems strange to me to look for any type of "resident" or long term visa and in the meantime trying to evade taxes from this country... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, CLW said:

That is how other Thai media outlets are also viewing it.

Best to wait for further details than speculate.

Let's not forget the new DTV is aimed at digital nomads, remote workers, freelancers, as well as those interested in learning Muay Thai and Thai cuisine," 

If you're retired or have Thai spouse/family, it changes nothing.

Get this visa and you will automatically be exempt from lodging a tax return in Thailand as it is only valid for 180 days per year......I can see digital nomads jumping on this visa.

Will it allow visa holders to open a Thai bank account ?

6 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

This DTV makes no sense as multiple sources say it costs 10k baht to get the one-time 180 day extension, so 20k baht to stay 1 year and then visa is used. So why have a 5 year validity? That only makes sense if you could get 180 days every time you entered within the 5 year validity period?

Compare two options for 180 days

(1) DTV - 10,000 baht

- enter and stay 180 days

- maintain 500k baht in bank

- plus cost of Thai course; or

- apply as remote worker (tax?)

(2) Visa exempt method - 7300 baht - no Thai course, work or bank funds needed

- Enter visa exempt 60 days - free

- get 30 day extension - 1900 baht

- do border run - approx 3500 baht

You've misunderstood

It's the - I'm (young) and desperate for the soft living in Thailand and own a big roll bag visa.

*My understanding is also it renews once over five years. I seriously doubt you can save the renewal for some time in future. You enter Thailand, it is active. So, if you are bumping around Asia and want a final week in BKK plus flights cheaper - the extension will activate - or be forfeited. 555

2 hours ago, Brewster67 said:

It aint that good really....

You can only stay here for up to 180 days, then extend for another 180 days... That is only 360 days.

There are 365 days in a year, so it means you have to leave the country for 5 days every year.

You will also have to pay 1900 every extension. So with the 10K fee that doubles the cost over 5 years.

I may as well just keep on my 12 month extended non-imm O visa, it requires just 1 immigration visit per year and is half the price.

Yes, but no work allowed. But question... Does the dtv require some sort of work permit? Are diginoms not required to have one? What work does digital nomadism allow you to do? Isn't that the catch? Why not just carry on regardless?

2 minutes ago, QPRFC said:

Will it allow visa holders to open a Thai bank account ?

Who knows, but I will bet against that. Any takers? Its just a longer visa which may under certain terms be extended another 179 days.

6 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

This DTV makes no sense as multiple sources say it costs 10k baht to get the one-time 180 day extension, so 20k baht to stay 1 year and then visa is used. So why have a 5 year validity? That only makes sense if you could get 180 days every time you entered within the 5 year validity period?

Compare two options for 180 days

(1) DTV - 10,000 baht

- enter and stay 180 days

- maintain 500k baht in bank

- plus cost of Thai course; or

- apply as remote worker (tax?)

(2) Visa exempt method - 7300 baht - no Thai course, work or bank funds needed

- do border run - approx 3500 baht

You forgot onward flight ticket within initial 60 exempt entry, without it you ain't getting on the plane in the first place