5 year multiple entry DTV visa (Destination Thailand) from 2024-xx-xx

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

speaking of misinformation, that youtuber whose video I posted also has a video called "Why Thailand is a horrible country". clearly has some agenda against thailand, but you can't control people from posting their crap on social media. 

What is "crap" and what isn't is open to interpretation and political influence.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, save the frogs said:

Well, this guy's interpretation of the DTV is that you cannot stay in thailand permanently for 5 years.

After 180 days, you need to leave thailand for "a couple of months" , but maybe he's just pulling it out of his butt. 

Then he describes the Elite/Privilege visa as the world's most over-priced tourist visa and looks like he's holding himself back from laughter at people who are willing to pay for it. 

Why post this rubbish on here. Who cares what some random 'Youtuber' thinks?

(Well obviously you do)

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Agree 2

On 7/19/2024 at 6:20 PM, Rob Browder said:

Note that we can NOT apply in a neighboring country for the METV (Multiple Entry Tourist Visa) - only "in your home country" - and I agree that flying 1/2 way around the world to submit paperwork is stupid.

That's not true. You definitely can if you're a foreign resident (work permit/resident permit) of the country you apply from. So it might be the same for the DTV.

I have seen some people say you need to be in your home country to apply for DTV. I am flying into HongKong soon and will be applying for DTV through the E-Visa website while there. I have a Dutch passport. I have tried the first steps in the application and it seems to work, did anyone try this already? Malaysia and Singapore do not work, I have tried. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

So Its 100% a multi entry 5 year visa for 180 day stays with one local extension at a cost of 1900 baht for a further 180 days.?

For a total of 5 years visa validity you can remain in country, but with 6 monthly border runs, for a visa cost of 10 k baht.

If living in Thailand with a current retirement visa extension coming up for renewal, is there any way of applying for the DTV without a return to your home country? Can the Thai consulates in Laos issue the DTV?

Edited by sapson
  • Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Mark987 said:

I have seen some people say you need to be in your home country to apply for DTV. I am flying into HongKong soon and will be applying for DTV through the E-Visa website while there. I have a Dutch passport. I have tried the first steps in the application and it seems to work, did anyone try this already? Malaysia and Singapore do not work, I have tried. 

The answer seems to be in the post above yours. 

57 minutes ago, Lorry said:

The answer seems to be in the post above yours. 

Not really... Lot's of uncertainty around it, hoping someone can confirm. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, RedReding said:

That's not true. You definitely can if you're a foreign resident (work permit/resident permit) of the country you apply from. So it might be the same for the DTV.

Yes, if you have "residency" in a country, you can apply for the METV Visa using a Thai consulate in that country.  That makes it ones "home" country, though - even if not one's passport/citizenship country.

3 hours ago, Mark987 said:

I have seen some people say you need to be in your home country to apply for DTV.

This is not stated on - for example - the website for the Laos Thai consulates.  But until someone does it successfully, we don't really know for sure, because consulate-websites are not always correct / complete.

3 hours ago, Mark987 said:

I am flying into HongKong soon and will be applying for DTV through the E-Visa website while there. I have a Dutch passport. I have tried the first steps in the application and it seems to work, did anyone try this already? Malaysia and Singapore do not work, I have tried.

For Malaysia and Singapore - I would be interested in how it did not work, specifically - what the error message was - what locations you used / I assume you applied as if you were in those countries - as you would go there before applying? - etc.

Good luck in Hong Kong, if you go that route.  Let us know how it goes.

3 hours ago, sapson said:

So Its 100% a multi entry 5 year visa for 180 day stays with one local extension at a cost of 1900 baht for a further 180 days.?

It is either 1900 or 10K Baht for the extension - not clear yet.  In theory, one could border-bounce instead of the extension - some debate on that, but the wording in the official Gazette seems to indicate this.  I have a feeling we will not know for sure 100% until someone tries it.

3 hours ago, sapson said:

If living in Thailand with a current retirement visa extension coming up for renewal, is there any way of applying for the DTV without a return to your home country? Can the Thai consulates in Laos issue the DTV?

We don't know yet - until someone reports doing it successfully.  Currently, nothing is stated in consulate websites saying you cannot apply in a nearby country w/o being a resident there - but those are not always complete / accurate.

5 hours ago, Mark987 said:

I emailed (email removed) the Thai consulate in Hong Kong last week asking if a US citizen staying in Hong Kong under the 90 day visa free could apply for the DTV visa on the official Thai e-visa website. They said YES. Please keep us updated as I'll be attempting the same in a few weeks. Good luck!

Edited by ElwoodP
remove email
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/22/2024 at 3:31 PM, LivinLOS said:

No my passport expires in 26 and my visa runs to 29

Interesting, I previously had an Elite visa attached at the airport on arrival, it lasted for about 2 years which took me up until the passport expiry date, this was back in late 2019.

When I got the new passport I had to go to Chaeng Wattana and have another visa sticker inserted which lasted for the remainder of my 5 years - about 3 years.

I'm still using this visa in my 'new' passport which is now a couple of years old and will get another sticker when I return to Thailand around the end of the year.

I'm told by them that a new visa can be inserted on arrival or in Chaeng Wattana during the last 6 months of its validity.

Note - above is with TE visa, but previously I believe all visas expired on the same date as your passport so this is a change in policy which is welcome, especially if you can continue to use the visa in the old passport while holding a new passport - but that remains to be seen as visas tend to have the passport number linked to them.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rob Browder said:

Just saw this report - someone called and asked ... was told "yes," can apply w/o being a resident. 

Thanks for the information and just to get clarity as you seem well informed, its a five year visa with the proviso of maximum stay 180 days leave come straight back rinse and repeat if required for a whole five years with one local immigration extension at 1900 baht or 10k to be confirmed.

Are the official qualifying requirements and documents needed for a consulate application listed anywhere? or still too early.

7 hours ago, sapson said:

Thanks for the information and just to get clarity as you seem well informed, its a five year visa with the proviso of maximum stay 180 days leave come straight back rinse and repeat if required for a whole five years with one local immigration extension at 1900 baht or 10k to be confirmed.

Are the official qualifying requirements and documents needed for a consulate application listed anywhere? or still too early.

They are on some consulate websites, already.  See this link for success-stories / what they submitted:

5 hours ago, Rob Browder said:

They are on some consulate websites, already.  See this link for success-stories / what they submitted:

Hi Rob - As I'm collecting those required documentations for a DTV application, could you please advise which overseas consulate you would personally recommend?  Laos or Cambodia?  I haven't been to either of these countries before.  I saw someone is planning to apply at Thai Consulate in Hong Kong, but figured Laos and Cambodia are both geographically closer to Thailand.   Any other options I'm not aware of?  Thanks!

Edited by jack343

Good morning 

Pertaining the DTV validity 5 years, what happens if my passport has a remaining validity of only 4 years would receive a 5 year validity sticker?

Wbr

Roobaa01

50 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

Good morning 

Pertaining the DTV validity 5 years, what happens if my passport has a remaining validity of only 4 years would receive a 5 year validity sticker?

Wbr

Roobaa01

Suggest you go back 1 page & read the discussion on this point.

In a nutshell you will be given a 5 year eVisa, it's unknown at this time whether they will put a sticker/stamp in your passport up to the date of expiry (They certainly won't put a stamp later than this) & then you'll get the remainder added to your new passport OR whether you'll need to carry the 5 year eVisa with you on every entry (& presumably your old passport as that's the passport the eVisa is tied to). 

Edited by Mike Teavee

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

In a nutshell you will be given a 5 year eVisa, it's unknown at this time whether they will put a sticker/stamp in your passport up to the date of expiry (They certainly won't put a stamp later than this) & then you'll get the remainder added to your new passport OR whether you'll need to carry the 5 year eVisa with you on every entry (& presumably your old passport as that's the passport the eVisa is tied to). 

This is one of these occasions where it's extremely important to understand the difference between a valid visa, and the 'permits' of stays issued by Thai Immigration.

Only the periods of stay are limited to a passport expiry date.

The validity of a visa is not affected by passport expiry date ........... simply carry both old and new passports if entering the Country.

After obtaining a new passport, simply have the stamps transferred to the new passport at Immigration to obtain the 180-day extensions.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

This is one of these occasions where it's extremely important to understand the difference between a valid visa, and the 'permits' of stays issued by Thai Immigration.

Only the periods of stay are limited to a passport expiry date.

The validity of a visa is not affected by passport expiry date ........... simply carry both old and new passports if entering the Country.

After obtaining a new passport, simply have the stamps transferred to the new passport at Immigration to obtain the 180-day extensions.

This is where it's important to differentiate between a Visa that's a Sticker/Stamp in your passport & an "eVisa" that may be your Visa or may get you the Sticker/Stamp in your passport.

The former are only ever valid until your passport expires however the letter of approval for your Visa will get you a new Sticker/Stamp that's valid until  the end of the "Visa". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/19/2024 at 3:05 PM, BillyBobzTeeth said:

What does this part mean? - " or having a guarantor of not less than 500,000 baht according to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. "

So someone can use family or friends as a gurantor for the financial requirements for the visa?

...or an agent?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jack343 said:

Hi Rob - As I'm collecting those required documentations for a DTV application, could you please advise which overseas consulate you would personally recommend?  Laos or Cambodia?  I haven't been to either of these countries before.  I saw someone is planning to apply at Thai Consulate in Hong Kong, but figured Laos and Cambodia are both geographically closer to Thailand.   Any other options I'm not aware of?  Thanks!

In general, the Laos consulates have been more "friendly," in recent years.  If I had to try one or the other, without any "success reports" here to use for reference (yet), I would try Laos.  

The Cambodian Thai consulate does have "agent" partners, who may be able to provide information on the DTV soon.

1 hour ago, Rob Browder said:

In general, the Laos consulates have been more "friendly," in recent years.  If I had to try one or the other, without any "success reports" here to use for reference (yet), I would try Laos.  

The Cambodian Thai consulate does have "agent" partners, who may be able to provide information on the DTV soon.

Okay Rob...  so besides a copy of my formal signed work contract, are there any additional documentations required for proof of remote status?  

2 hours ago, jack343 said:

Okay Rob...  so besides a copy of my formal signed work contract, are there any additional documentations required for proof of remote status?  

Google the Thai Embassy/Consulates in Lao and Cambodia and look at the document requirements yourself.

Anyone know what the "letter of confirmation to attend activity" should look like?

I'm headed to a Muay Thai gym but want to help the gym owner out with making the letter..

I looked around online for examples from the ED Muay Thai visa but cant find anything really

I guess just a signed letter saying "Mr. x has enrolled in 3 months of Muay Thai training at x gym" ?

Or just a receipt?

2 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Google the Thai Embassy/Consulates in Lao and Cambodia and look at the document requirements yourself.

I've read through their website already.  I was just wondering, from a practical standpoint, will the consulate request additional documentations other than an employment offer/contract?  

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, jack343 said:

I only know what is printed on their website:
https://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/en/page/destination-thailand-visa-dtv
We don't have any reports yet on a successful DTV from there, with a list of what documents they submitted.

• Thumbs Up 1