New Chinese BYD Model Can Travel 2000 km On A Single Charge!

A new model of BYD EV has a "hybrid powertrain capable of traveling more than 2,000 kilometers (1,250 miles) without recharging or refueling", allowing it to travel from Signapore to Bangkok on a single charge.  The new EV will retail for approximately $13,800 (500K THB) making it a highly affordable EV and one that even I'd consider purchasing (and I'm not an EV sort of guy - but once they start having ranges like this - I can change my mind)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-05-28/byd-shows-off-new-hybrid-powertrain-capable-of-ultra-long-drive?sref=6uww027M

China haters
:angry: "All Chinese cars a junk!!!  Junk I say!!!  Grrrrr  Mom, Apple Pie and 3M THB Ford Truck EVs!!!"

Smart consumers
:biggrin: "Where can I buy one!"

Well, don't need one yet as my Celerio still gives me plenty of love with 50+ mpg.  But BYD will be high on my list if I need another car in the future

• Like 1

13 hours ago, connda said:

A new model of BYD EV has a "hybrid powertrain capable of traveling more than 2,000 kilometers (1,250 miles) without recharging or refueling", allowing it to travel from Signapore to Bangkok on a single charge.  The new EV will retail for approximately $13,800 (500K THB) making it a highly affordable EV and one that even I'd consider purchasing (and I'm not an EV sort of guy - but once they start having ranges like this - I can change my mind)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-05-28/byd-shows-off-new-hybrid-powertrain-capable-of-ultra-long-drive?sref=6uww027M

China haters
:angry: "All Chinese cars a junk!!!  Junk I say!!!  Grrrrr  Mom, Apple Pie and 3M THB Ford Truck EVs!!!"

Smart consumers
:biggrin: "Where can I buy one!"

Well, don't need one yet as my Celerio still gives me plenty of love with 50+ mpg.  But BYD will be high on my list if I need another car in the future

Pity that link did not show much ... 500K thb and 2000km range ...?

Sounds too good to be true ....

• Agree 2

I'm waiting for the byd seal u to arrive here and check it out . Looks pretty good and is a decent size for my needs.

If it's not as good as it looks I may consider the mid model seal car .

All reviews I have read of these all say they are very good apart from a few small niggles to start with .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Pity that link did not show much ... 500K thb and 2000km range ...?

Sounds too good to be true ....

This why the US (and potentially EU as well - although there are different considerations involved there) are considering tariffs on Chinese autos. They are dumping over production just like with steel ... China has some interesting economic conundrums to get to grips with.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Tailwagsdog said:

Never support the commo-fascist dictatorship that locks up people for religious & political  beliefs and seeks to invade and occupy other people's territory. Don't buy their products.

Fell better now you have that weight off your shoulders ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, newnative said:

Spouse and I are waiting for the Seal U hybrid to arrive.

It has arrived months ago. Was offered next day delivery if I bought one a few months ago when they were showcasing their cats at EmSphere

5 hours ago, Unclernie said:

It has arrived months ago. Was offered next day delivery if I bought one a few months ago when they were showcasing their cats at EmSphere

Was it the SUV model or the sedan?  We want the SUV.  Thanks.

21 hours ago, connda said:

No - they are producing products at competitive prices that Western nations can not match.
Therefore, the US and other Western nations complain that China is "dumping over-production" when in fact they are economically out-competing the West - and the US and the G7 are crying like babies and threatening China with sanctions, tariff, and outright war.  Which is basically the bell-weather of the fall of Western economic dominance. The West can not longer competed in a a free-market.  😭

Shame we all aren't willing to join the race to the bottom in terms of wages and conditions, as well as welcome with open arms the social control, censorship, suppression of dissent and credit/debit accounts for behavior. Life would be so much better if we did.

Not.

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2024 at 4:48 PM, connda said:

If a company in the West can manufacture products at a lower price which then benefits consumer's pocketbooks - it's called Free Market Capitalism.

If companies in China manufacture products at a lower price which then benefits consumer's pocketbooks - it's called a "commo-fascist dictatorship" by Western ideologues.

Blinken said it, Yellen said it, the Biden Administration says it, even Orange-Man-Bad says it.
Must be true, 'eh.  "Sanction China!" and if that doesn't work, "Nuke them!!!"  That's where it's going.

But in my book?  The U.S. can no longer compete in the game of Free Market Capitalism because during the last few decades, all of the most greedy U.S. corporations off-shored all of their manufacturing to "errrr" 🤔... China ... and literally gutted the U.S. manufacturing base.  Now that a McDonald's employee can command $20/hour flipping burgers in California, and the cost of living is so inflated that U.S. citizens who have jobs still end up living on the street (while illegal "migrant" get hotel rooms to help offset the slave labor wages they are paid under the table to do "jobs that no U.S. citizen will do" <because U.S. citizens are already broke and don't get free housing>) - trust me - manufacturing (other than bombs, missiles and weapons of mass-destruction) isn't coming back to the U.S. because they simply can not compete given the cost of labor as well as inflated cost of raw materials produced in the U.S.. 

:angry: "China bad - China over-product!!!"
:biggrin: "Horse-pucky.  They have beaten Western capitalists at their own game and now they cry to the U.S. government to hurt China any way that they can - because Western capitalists can't compete in the Global Free Market any longer.

Hey kids.  Do wake up - it's an new world and it ain't your grandma's and grandpa's world any longer.  It's the world of economically developing BRICS-based nations led by the billion-plus citizens of China and the billion-plus citizens of India who will be manufacturing affordable products for the other 7 billion people on the planet who are not part of "The West."
If "The West" can't compete and doesn't want to play?  <shrug> :thumbsup:  Then they can just continue to create more misery and suffering for their own impoverish citizens as the U.S. middle-class is decimated by inflation and unable to enjoy the benefits of inexpensive BRICS manufactured products due to duties and tariff. 

:angry: "Never support the commo-fascist dictatorship that locks up people for religious & political  beliefs" (Like Julian Assange? Like pro-live protestors praying in front of abortion clinics) and seeks to invade and occupy other people's territory (like Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Granada, Yugoslavia, Iraq, Syria, Libya, Yeman, Somolia, Sudan, Afghanistan....). Don't buy their products. (Feel free to buy expensive products for the West).  :wink:

I made a really good amount in BYD stock, glad it was not TESLA 😄 would have lost half.

It's true, the USA is really bad at mass-manufacturing products that can be competitive with China even after shipping. 

But this is old news... this is the past and both countries are not not so worried about that. What they are both worried and competing very heavily and discreetly is the AI and Chip WAR. 

1. In AI software development and applications, both US and China are the biggest players by far without any serious competition, the likes of Google, MSFT, BABA, JD.com, Baidu, and others are the examples.

2. Chip manufacturing: there is a lot happening, It's really tight for China now, that they are making new orders for outdated Chip designs (ARM) because the quota to purchase newest high end chips from TSMC from Qualmcom design is very limited and blocked by the BIDEN administration.

3. Biden is dumping a load of money on the CHIP Acts, to bring manufacturing to the US.  This wont happen anytime soon. Chip manufacturing is staying in Taiwan for a very long time 😄

27 minutes ago, WhatMeWorry said:

I do not care if it would get a million miles on one charge, I would never drive this piece of junk.

What amazing insight. And what have you based that enlightened opinion on? 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, brfsa2 said:

I made a really good amount in BYD stock, glad it was not TESLA 😄 would have lost half.

It's true, the USA is really bad at mass-manufacturing products that can be competitive with China even after shipping. 

But this is old news... this is the past and both countries are not not so worried about that. What they are both worried and competing very heavily and discreetly is the AI and Chip WAR. 

1. In AI software development and applications, both US and China are the biggest players by far without any serious competition, the likes of Google, MSFT, BABA, JD.com, Baidu, and others are the examples.

2. Chip manufacturing: there is a lot happening, It's really tight for China now, that they are making new orders for outdated Chip designs (ARM) because the quota to purchase newest high end chips from TSMC from Qualmcom design is very limited and blocked by the BIDEN administration.

3. Biden is dumping a load of money on the CHIP Acts, to bring manufacturing to the US.  This wont happen anytime soon. Chip manufacturing is staying in Taiwan for a very long time 😄

Maybe  . The money Biden is dumping into the CHIP act is subsidizing two TSMC factories in the US.

Once they are up and running US interest in shielding Taiwan from a Chinese takeover might just fade once the Taiwanese TSCM site is mysteriously damaged beyond viability.