Trump found guilty of 34 counts of falsifying business records

webfact

1 hour ago, HappyExpat57 said:

When women were asked why they voted for Bill Clinton, a large number replied they thought he was cute.

The electorate rarely votes on facts, they vote from their often ill-informed gut. All they will know now is 45 is a convicted felon, a loser. They couldn't care less about the details, they will just imagine him in a jumpsuit that matches his fake tan.

True. That's also why they vote on the price of milk and gasoline rather than other measures of economic prosperity. And on the cost of their mortgage/rent vs. 5 years ago.

We shall see. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

A brief note to my die hard Trump supporters on this forum.

This is me keeping my promise to accept the Jury’s Verdict without reservation.

Now.

Lock Him Up!

Most likely Trump won't be locked up. I think it will be probation, six months or so.

Why? First time offender (yes, I know, ridiculous), white and wealthy, and of course the inevitable deference, servility, to a former president.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Trolls don't really care about the clarity of the message, they just want to stir the pot. They are low-info, sloped forehead reprobates.

You are also referring to the Trump electioneering strategy?

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, jvs said:

No just long over due,from time to time laws need to be amended.

Nobody has foreseen a thing like this would ever happen but it has to be dealt with,just to keep up with the times.

Don't you agree?

No I don't agree that the laws should be changed to exclude people with a criminal conviction a day after Trump is convicted of all 34 out of 34 charges in less than 12 hours.

That's the type of thing that happens in banana republics. Despite recent events, I'd like to think America is still above that type of thing.  

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

No I don't agree that the laws should be changed to exclude people with a criminal conviction a day after Trump is convicted of all 34 out of 34 charges in less than 12 hours.

That's the type of thing that happens in banana republics. Despite recent events, I'd like to think America is still above that type of thing.  

There are many jobs that convicted felons can't hold, but civil service is not one of them.

Having said that, the matter of obtaining and retaining a SECURITY CLEARANCE is a whole other matter. There is no way on this earth that anyone with this convicted felon's record could EVER EVER EVER get a security clearance the office of the president requires.

Edited by HappyExpat57
grammar
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Presto said:

Personally I'd like to see the rule of law at last take it's course, and Trump face the consequences, like anyone else.

That last bit seems to be the problem with the American legal system. Trump has gotten away with so much his whole life, it boggles the mind.

I have mixed feelings.

Trump as a "man"  obviously deserved to be locked up decades ago.

But he was president.

I know other countries imprison their presidents but I think that putting any president (ex-president) in prison might not be worth the damage to the presidency.

I really like the poetic justice of the fake populist traitorous fascist America Firster exiling himself to an enemy. That might be more about damaging his own legacy than the presidency. Yeah I get to the maga cultists, he'll always be their dear leader regardless.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, paddypower said:

You're wrong. Let's get some facts into this discussion: 1. Trump can stay on the ballot. 2. he can be elected POTUS. 3. he can vote (not in NY)  but felons are allowed to vote in Florida. end of story. How come so few know so little about the American electoral system? Jeez, I'm European and half of what is written here is misguided opinions.

We know more than you... 

He's legally allowed to be on the ballot.  But the RNC convention is 3 days after sentencing.  He's not on the ballot, so he can't "stay on the ballot". He's just the presumptive candidate at this point.  You figure he'll still be the candidate if the judge sends him to jail pending appeal?  Or puts him under house arrest with an ankle monitor and a gag order so he can't travel the country to campaign?  He may not even be allowed to go to the RNC Convention.

On a related note, do you also figure the first move by Dems after he's inaugurated wouldn't be to impeach him, again and again and again?

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

We know more then you... 

He's legally allowed to stay on the ballot.  But the RNC convention is 3 days after sentencing.  He's not on the ballot, so he can't "stay on the ballot". He's just the presumptive candidate at this point.  You figure he'll still be the candidate if the judge sends him to jail pending appeal?  Or puts him under house arrest with an ankle monitor so he can't travel the country to campaign?  He may not even be allowed to go to the RNC Convention.

On a related note, do you also figure the first move by Dems after he's inaugurated wouldn't be to impeach him, again and again and again?

This convicted felon (LOVE it now that we can post that) was only impeached for serious reasons. It's the red side of the aisle that keeps drumming up nonsense attempts of impeachment that fall flat cuz they're all based on lies.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I have mixed feelings.

Trump as a "man"  obviously deserved to be locked up decades ago.

But he was president.

I know other countries imprison their presidents but I think that putting any president (ex-president) in prison might not be worth the damage to the presidency.

I really like the poetic justice of the fake populist traitorous fascist America Firster exiling himself to an enemy. That might be more about damaging his own legacy than the presidency. Yeah I get to the maga cultists, he'll always be their dear leader regardless.

I'm looking at this as a non-American. I think far too much grandeur and prestige has been offered to the presidency than rationally is necessary. It's like Americans are/were longing for a monarch.

I compare it but probably mostly wrongly, to the 'imperial presidency' of Francois Mitterrand. I believe the French have redressed that, and putting a convicted former president behind bars would be a step in the right direction for America. Just my opinion.

By the way, I'm convinced that Biden, if still president when the serious federal cases result in convictions and jail time, will pardon Trump.

Edited by Presto
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

There are many jobs that convicted felons can't hold, but civil service is not one of them.

Having said that, the matter of obtaining and retaining a SECURITY CLEARANCE is a whole other matter. There is no way on this earth that anyone with this convicted felon's record could EVER EVER EVER get a security clearance the office of the president requires.

So if Trump would be elected how would that play out?

He would not have clearance to drive a school bus but he could be president with severe restrictions?

Clearly some laws need to be changed,should have been changed a long time ago?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

No, I did not miss that. Deservedly convicted.

If your IQ is as superior as I have seen you claim, surely you know it's a lot easier for a rich white guy to get off than a Black man.

It seems your IQ is not really made for Mensa.

Trump is a white guy who was convicted.

And somehow you want to make this an argument for what? That a black guy would also be convicted? Maybe 68 times and not only 34 times? Or what's your point.

I suggest think again, and next time a black guy will be convicted then you can tell us all how racist this world is that that could happen.

• Confused 3

5 minutes ago, jvs said:

He would not have clearance to drive a school bus but he could be president with severe restrictions?

If he's elected president, any restrictions including if he's in prison, vanish. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, jvs said:

My understanding is that a POTUS is automatically granted the highest levels of security clearance.  It comes with the job.  But if he were incarcerated....not sure how that would work. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, impulse said:

Rachel Kleinfeld...  A social entrepreneur, former founding organizational CEO, and author of three books, she is also the mother of two fierce and wonderful daughters, wife of a sculptor, lover of street food, and aficionado of bleak, unforgiving landscapes from Afghanistan to Morocco.

Publishing a hit piece in the NYT... That bastion of fair and balanced reporting.  That makes it definitive.

https://rachelkleinfeld.com/

I could link to dozens of actual lawyers and legal scholars that say it's a sham trial.  But I'm not into dueling links...

Hit piece? It's a fact. And one reiterated by many. Again, a Trump supporter with TDS.

We'll wait for your links....

• Agree 1