Alternative to Symbicort inhaler.

I use a Symbicort inhaler a couple of times to manage my COPD. It works very well, but it has a nasty side effect in that it makes me very hoarse and my voice croaky. I gargle twice and drink water after use but it doesn't fix the problem. I know that it's the steroid content of the inhaler that does the damage, so I don't really know if there's another option, because these types of inhalers all contain steroids. Anyone else have the same problem or an alternative?

Posted (edited)

Have you tried using one of the old-style Ventolin inhalers? Much cheaper than Symbicort. This said, for what it's worth, I found Ventolin could sometimes dry out my throat whereas Symbicort doesn't. But Ventolin inhalers are so cheap it's worth giving one a go. Note: I use these inhalers for asthma and not COPD.

Edited by mstevens
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, JoeRan said:

Ventolin is a rescue inhaler when experiencing an asthma attack( mild or major). Symbicort is a maintenance inhaler for respiratory issues. Two completely different meds. Speak to a real Dr and don’t take advice from keyboard Dr’s. 

Symbicort can be used as a relief inhaler - as I have for close to 20 years - and it should be noted that Ventolin is also prescribed to ease breathing difficulties due to COPD.

10 minutes ago, 2baht said:

I take Spiolto Respimat for my COPD. Been using it for 5 years, it is available in Thailand but expensive!

So is Symbicort, 1400 baht for 120 doses.

2 minutes ago, mstevens said:

Symbicort can be used as a relief inhaler - as I have for close to 20 years - and it should be noted that Ventolin is also prescribed to ease breathing difficulties due to COPD.

Then how often on average do you use Symbicort? The instructions say to use twice a day.

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

So is Symbicort, 1400 baht for 120 doses.

Spiolto is around 1000 baht for 60 puffs, ie. 2 puffs per day. Please keep us informed if you find an alternative. 

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Then how often on average do you use Symbicort? The instructions say to use twice a day.

2 puffs first thing every morning, lasts 1 month.

37 minutes ago, 2baht said:

2 puffs first thing every morning, lasts 1 month.

There are 120 doses in Symbicort, 2 puffs a day should last 2 months.

• Thumbs Up 1

Try going to your government hospital, I’ve been a COPD sufferer for around 5 years and now struggling badly with my breathing to the extent I ended up in icu for a few weeks and now visit outpatients every 2 months. My last visit just 2 weeks ago I was given 2 months supply of  non generic Spiriva, generic Ventolin for emergency, generic Seritide, generic Berodual plus a couple of other meds and including doctors fee which came to the grand total of just over 2600 baht for 2 months worth of meds. Excellent value. 

• Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I use Symbicort once in the morning and in the cooler months, once before bed.

6 minutes ago, mstevens said:

I use Symbicort once in the morning and in the cooler months, once before bed.

Do you have any problem with hoarseness?

I was prescribed with "Trelegy Ellipta"  for my COPD 2 years ago but it has not improved my breathing whatsoever . Does "Symbicort" provide you with instant success with improved breathing or takes longer to be effective ? My "Trelegy" costs me 1,900 baht for 30 doses, Thanks for yr kind feedback

2 minutes ago, 1948wjm said:

I was prescribed with "Trelegy Ellipta"  for my COPD 2 years ago but it has not improved my breathing whatsoever . Does "Symbicort" provide you with instant success with improved breathing or takes longer to be effective ? My "Trelegy" costs me 1,900 baht for 30 doses, Thanks for yr kind feedback

It works well for me, other than the hoarseness, and is much cheaper than what you are paying at 1400 baht for 120 doses.

• Thumbs Up 1

Seretide works for me, around 700 baht for 60 doses 50/250 diskus.  Also contains a steroid, so I always rinse mouth and throat immediately after use.  Running HEPA air cleaners all the time in my condo helps a lot too, so now I only need one puff of Seretide daily.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Steven Pattaya said:

Seretide works for me, around 700 baht for 60 doses 50/250 diskus.  Also contains a steroid, so I always rinse mouth and throat immediately after use.  Running HEPA air cleaners all the time in my condo helps a lot too, so now I only need one puff of Seretide daily.

Price is pretty much the same as Symbicort. Will try drinking more water after inhaling to stop hoarseness.

Edited by giddyup

5 hours ago, JoeRan said:

Ventolin is a rescue inhaler when experiencing an asthma attack( mild or major). Symbicort is a maintenance inhaler for respiratory issues. Two completely different meds. Speak to a real Dr and don’t take advice from keyboard Dr’s. 

Ventolin and other bronchodilators can be used for COPD and indeed are usual first line of treatment for mild cases.

However steroids are also often needed and may be administered by  inhaler or orally. Oral steroids are usually reserved for acute flare ups and given short term whereas inhaled steroid can be used longterm.

@giddyupChanging brands per se won't make a difference.  The only things that will  are either decressing dosage or weaning off the steroid altogether (must be done gradually).  Neither should be attempted except under doctor advice/supervision.

You did not mention the Symbicort dosage you are on.  It comes in  different strengths so there might be  scope for a decresse but must ask your doctor. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Ventolin and other bronchodilators can be used for COPD and indeed are usual first line of treatment for mild cases.

However steroids are also often needed and may be administered by  inhaler or orally. Oral steroids are usually reserved for acute flare ups and given short term whereas inhaled steroid can be used longterm.

@giddyupChanging brands per se won't make a difference.  The only things that will  are either decressing dosage or weaning off the steroid altogether (must be done gradually).  Neither should be attempted except under doctor advice/supervision.

You did not mention the Symbicort dosage you are on.  It comes in  different strengths so there might be  scope for a decresse but must ask your doctor. 

There is no option of strength when I buy from Fascino, only 60 or 120 doses. There is

nothing marked on inhaler re dose either. I stand corrected, there is a marking of 160 which indicates 160 mcg of budesonide/4.5 mcg of formoterole, but there is an option for 80 mcg, but I have never been asked what dosage I want..

Edited by giddyup

18 minutes ago, giddyup said:

There is no option of strength when I buy from Fascino, only 60 or 120 doses. There is

nothing marked on inhaler re dose either.

A number - either 80 or 160  - appears on both the box and the inhaler bottle. What does yours say?

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

A number - either 80 or 160  - appears on both the box and the inhaler bottle. What does yours say?

I just amended my post, it says 160, but I believe the 80 mcg is only available in 60 doses and works out a lot more expensive. The 120 dose (160 mcg) is around 1400 baht and the 60 dose (80 mcg) is 1100 baht. Go figure, the lesser strength is more expensive. Like low fat milk being more expensive than full fat.

Edited by giddyup

7 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I just amended my post, it says 160, but I believe the 80 mcg is only available in 60 doses and works out a lot more expensive. The 120 dose (160 mcg) is around 1400 baht and the 60 dose (80 mcg) is 1100 baht. Go figure, the lesser strength is more expensive. Like low fat milk being more expensive than full fat.

OK so you are on 160 mcg dose of the steroid. Decreasing to 80mcg might be an option but you must clear that with your doctor first.

While at the doctor, have him/her check your throat just to be sure you don't have a fungal infection in there, sometimes occurs with use of these inhalers.

Correct that the 80mcg dose of Symbicort comes only in 60 dose size.

• Like 1