Bangkok Implements Stricter Regulations for Street Vendors

webfact

f1698b4afdca9dfe610ee5b3c7806c88.webp

In an effort to reorganise public spaces and enhance street cleanliness, Bangkok's Governor Chadchart Sittipunt has announced plans to enforce stricter regulations on street vendors within the city. This initiative underlines the city's commitment to fostering a more orderly and hygienic environment.

Under these new regulations, vendors operating in officially recognised areas will need to comply with income assessments and taxation. Specifically, those earning over 25,000 baht monthly will be mandated to pay taxes. Additionally, all street vendors will be required to register with the national income and tax system to continue trading.

Another critical aspect of the regulations is the strict enforcement of trading within designated zones. Vendors will need to ensure their activities do not obstruct pedestrian pathways and that their areas of operation remain clean. Non-compliance with these stipulations could result in a ban on their vending activities.

While vending will still be allowed in certain areas, this will be conditional on adherence to the new rules. The overarching aim, however, is to phase out street vending progressively. The city envisions transitioning vendors into commercial zones and is seeking partnerships with businesses to offer affordable rental spaces for these vendors.

The proposed changes are slated to go through a public hearing process, allowing community feedback to shape the final regulations. This inclusive approach underscores the city's intention to balance public order with the livelihoods of street vendors. 

As Bangkok takes these significant steps, the city hopes to create a harmonious urban experience that benefits both residents and vendors, leading to a cleaner, more organised public space.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-03

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Under these new regulations, vendors operating in officially recognised areas will need to comply with income assessments and taxation. Specifically, those earning over 25,000 baht monthly will be mandated to pay taxes. Additionally, all street vendors will be required to register with the national income and tax system to continue trading.

No more cash in hand every day but I never make any money excuses.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Big business trying to force people into restaurants.......slowly destroying locals livelihoods. 

Nothing to do with big business. Street food vendors have little to no impact. Go check food courts in malls and then compare to the insignificant street seller.

This is just government trying to upgrade the face of Thailand to a more demanding type of tourist.

Edited by anon7854
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Big business trying to force people into restaurants.......slowly destroying locals livelihoods. 

I think its more to get people to pay rents (more control, rates, fees and taxes) and less govt to clean up around (savings)

It sure is changing the character of Thailand.

Edited by freeworld
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

One man's used cooking oil is another mans fresh cooking oil. 😀

by the looks of some of these dark oil filled woks on the streets i dont disagree...looks like coffee!

• Haha 1

Street food prepared in the polluted filthy streets of Bangkok has sent many tourists to the hospital with food poisoning. Eating filthy street food can cause long lasting severe health issues. It is not worth it to consume this filth to save a few baht.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

Competing with Singapore for few food court tourists, while the rest goes elsewhere?

I do hope all vendors are making more than 25000 monthly. After "costs & paying for the location & services" not much left to tax

3 hours ago, Keep Right said:

Street food prepared in the polluted filthy streets of Bangkok has sent many tourists to the hospital with food poisoning. Eating filthy street food can cause long lasting severe health issues. It is not worth it to consume this filth to save a few baht.

I've had street food in many countries without any health issues including Thailand. 

I was warned never to have seafood in Hong Kong and yet never suffered when I did. 

Maybe I have a cast iron gut? 

Yet my 1st wife got food poisoning from McDonald's in Singapore in the 80s.

Id love to see the statistics of tourists admitted to hospital as a result of eating street food in Bangkok... 

Eating filthy food anywhere can cause problems. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

I miss the old ramshackle ways when nighttime street vendors set up their wares on Sukhumvit road. 

Sure it was a pain if you were trying to go somewhere quick but the ambience was unique to the area. 

Haggling with vendors to get a few baht discount. Watching tourists that had no clue pay top dollar.  

But as they say,  time stands still for no man. 

Yes, me too... They were a pain in the butt sometimes, but I loved looking at everything.  

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, webfact said:

This initiative underlines the city's commitment to fostering a more orderly and hygienic environment.

and then..

12 hours ago, webfact said:

Under these new regulations, vendors operating in officially recognised areas will need to comply with income assessments and taxation.

i'm a little slow so can someone help me make the connection between these 2. 

14 hours ago, khaowong1 said:

Yes, me too... They were a pain in the butt sometimes, but I loved looking at everything.  

I remember them, they were forcing people to walk on the busy Sukhumvit road to the danger of being hit by traffic.

• Like 1