Thai lifeguards nab American phone thief at Kata Beach

webfact

8 minutes ago, expat_4_life said:

Many petty crimes are resolved in this manner in Thailand, fines and release.

He did not try to flee the scene, rather he cooperated with the police.

It is also possible that the victim did not want to file a criminal complaint.

As you said, she got her phone back, he made a dumb mistake, a fine and all's well.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

What fine? They didn´t charge him! In the article, they just mention what the fine could be.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The American man was subsequently taken to Karon Police Station for questioning. The authorities determined that he appeared to be under the influence of alcohol.

Consequently, he was charged under Section 378 of the Criminal Law for causing disturbance in public while intoxicated, which carries a penalty of a fine up to 5,000 baht.

He got charged alright, and the charge carries a fine.  Perhaps he was able to avoid the fine, but doubtful.

Edited by expat_4_life

4 hours ago, webfact said:

567000004811705.webp

In a dramatic turn of events at Kata Beach, Phuket, Thai lifeguards assisted a foreign woman in apprehending an American man who had stolen her mobile phone. The incident occurred on Saturday, June 1, when the woman left her phone on the beach while she was swimming, giving the thief an opportunity to strike.

The scene quickly gained attention on Thai social media platforms, with a video showing the foreign woman in a pink swimsuit confronting the American man. The woman dearly attempted to reclaim her phone, shouting and pulling at his shorts where the phone was hidden. 

“He stole from me! You stole my telephone!” she exclaimed, as the man attempted to walk away, denying the theft.

Witnesses noticed the escalating situation and called on nearby Thai lifeguards for assistance. The lifeguards intervened, managing to retrieve the phone from the man’s pocket. They asked the thief to remain at the scene until the police arrived, and he complied without making any attempt to flee.

2012-2024-06-04T164631.webp

Picture courtesy: MGR online

The popular local news page, Phuket Hotnews, reported that the American man was subsequently taken to Karon Police Station for questioning. The authorities determined that he appeared to be under the influence of alcohol.

Consequently, he was charged under Section 378 of the Criminal Law for causing disturbance in public while intoxicated, which carries a penalty of a fine up to 5,000 baht.

Interestingly, the police did not press any charges related to the theft itself, as the victim had her phone returned to her. This incident highlights the vigilant efforts of local lifeguards and the swift actions of Thai authorities, ensuring that a peaceful day at the beach was restored despite the initial disturbance.

TOP Picture courtesy: MGR online

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-05

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

567000004811704.webp

Picture courtesy: MGR online

A rather dark individual in the yellow t-shirt-thai ?

• Confused 6
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, spermwhale said:

WHy cover the man's mug up with emojis? Police didn't charge him because they got the phone back? He still stole it. The guy needs to be arrested and then deported. 

Not sure why they are so soft on the criminal. 

It might be law to hide the face before formal conviction. I know it is in other countries anyway. And it does in fact make sense if you think about it. At least if the country operates under “innocent until proven guilty” which I have no idea if Thailand does

1 hour ago, Sig said:

"The woman dearly attempted to reclaim her phone... pulling at his shorts..."
That was some kind of affection being exercised so "dearly"...

I don't know how one could come up with this kind of writing, even using a dictionary!? How on earth can that word possibly work in this scenario!?
:wacko:

”Dearly beloved,let he who is without sin cast the first phone ”...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

You sure this is the only “dumb mistake” he’s made?

Personally, I doubt it. He may well know people who can unlock phones and has provided a steady supply of them in the past. Just as likely a scenario as it being a one off.

weird thing is, if he had just given the phone back immediately , there would have been no disturbance and he would have faced no charges whatsoever! No such thing as attempted theft in Thailand presumably.

The post failed to say if the lady wanted to make a report or press charges against him, without that the police will do very little.

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, watchcat said:

A rather dark individual in the yellow t-shirt-thai ?

Thais tan up nicely if out on the beach all day helping tourists. He is a lifeguard.

Especially in southern Thailand 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

It might be law to hide the face before formal conviction. I know it is in other countries anyway. And it does in fact make sense if you think about it. At least if the country operates under “innocent until proven guilty” which I have no idea if Thailand does

In Thailand and a person of influence you can be guilty and proved innocent. It will cost you though.😉

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, spermwhale said:

WHy cover the man's mug up with emojis? Police didn't charge him because they got the phone back? He still stole it. The guy needs to be arrested and then deported. 

Not sure why they are so soft on the criminal. 

IMO they arrested him as soon as they placed a hand on him and cuffed him.

At phi phi island the monkeys lived on the high cliffs near the beach and were experts watching til tourists went for a swim then run down grab their bag and up the cliff they would scamper...i have no doubt that some thai guys prob climbed up the very high cliffs there once a week or so to collect some wallets phones etc...monkeys wanted food as far as i know weren't making phone calls.  Probably still same same decades later.

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

The lifeguards should have given the thief a good kicking - physical punishment is remembered more than a financial penalty.  (I hate thieves...)

He probably knew that, which is why he didn't try to flee. If he had, he'd have suffered a Thai five on one beating.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1