Trump Hints at Potential Prosecution of Political Opponents if Re-Elected

52 minutes ago, neeray said:

Whatever treatment Trump has received, he brought it all on himself. 

Ditto also his absolutist approach to his trial defense, he hamstrung his attorneys. Self inflicted. 

6 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Nothing wrong with prosecuting those who have committed crimes that can be proven in a court of law as Trump has been. No one is every above the law. 

Maybe a little problem about evidence....

If that is the case, why is Kissinger not in jail for his illegal war on Cambodia?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Having opened the door to prosecuting a former president, the Dems can hardly complain if Biden is investigated and prosecuted if crimes are found.

Perhaps they thought that only they could do so.

Lol! Which crimes? 🤣

8 hours ago, WDSmart said:

I am bracing myself for what will happen after the November elections. Neither side will accept defeat, and I fear no matter who wins, there will be blood in the streets. Of course, I'll be watching it all on CNN from my easy chair, safe in the mountains of northeastern Thailand. I just hope whoever wins, my Social Security benefits will not be affected. 

". I just hope whoever wins, my Social Security benefits will not be affected. "

Amen brother.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Whilst I understand your aim is to be seen as an "honest broker" in the commentary on Mr Trumps legal imbroglios, lately perhaps "your slip has been showing"?

An honourable mention for laying the ground work for a possible "we were robbed" scenario?

• I  voted against Trump twice. And would be happy to see him lose again. I will admit that I would prefer to see him lose based upon the usual criteria and not this felony conviction which might be reversed after he loses the election thus giving him the 'we was robbed' scenario.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, candide said:

What are you talking about? Which president did what I indicated in my post  (with details)? You have nothing.

None other that Trump (which was my point). But try to tell that to his disciples ...

6 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

No. There are 2 William Barrs. BTW I remember your saying the same for Judge Mukasey who said he did not expect any of Trump's 4 criminal trials would take p;lace before the election.

Whatever his opinion, my concern with all this is that declaring Trump as a felon -- deservedly or not -- will help him win the election come NOV 2024. And I would prefer him not be for the next 4 years.

And Mukasey was wrong. And if there are 2 William Barrs speaking on the subject, one must have been cloned recently.

7 hours ago, Tug said:

Now as for trump the CONVICTED FELON twice impeached disgraced ex president is threatening dire retribution

grow up. you saying convicted felon over and over is not helping the cause. in fact its akin to saying deplorables. we already know how that one worked out. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

, you don't have tgi=o agrfee.

7 minutes ago, placeholder said:

And Mukasey was wrong. And if there are 2 William Barrs speaking on the subject, one must have been cloned recently.

Sure but at the time it was the thought that all of them would underway before election. Barr was the former attorney general. but you don't have to agree with him.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Really? It was the general opinion that all the trials would be underway?  I don't ever recall seeing that. It's not a matter of whether I agree with Barr or not. Clearly, he's extremely biased and not above misrepresenting evidence and rejecting evidence that doesn't support his prejudices.

I put up his quote verbatim -- if you want to attack it that's up to you. But I don't have to justify it to your liking.

And the Mukasey quote was AUG 18, 2023:

Michael B. Mukasey, a former U.S. attorney general and longtime Manhattan federal judge, said because of the complex issues raised in all four of Mr. Trump’s cases, “I think the odds are slim to none that any of them gets to trial before the election.”

Edited by jerrymahoney

10 hours ago, stoner said:

he's a criminal and an addict. you forgot that other detail. knowingly lying on a gun permit application is quite serious if you ask me. 

It isn't according to Lindsey Graham.

Graham: ‘Average American’ wouldn’t face Hunter Biden’s gun charges

It's also not considered particularly serious by the law enforcement authories - it's very rare for them to prosecute anyone for this, unless the gun is used in another crime subsequently.

South Texas College of Law Professor Dru Stevenson, who has published research on gun charges against drug users, says it's unusual for such cases to make it to court.

[...]

Of the 7,454 people sentenced for illegal gun possession in 2021, only about 5% of them were charged due to drug use, according to US Sentencing Commission data.

Why a rare gun charge against Hunter Biden could misfire

Professor Stevenson has an interesting opinion on why this particular prosecution is going ahead, when it's so rare for it to happen.

"It's just really rare that they would go after someone and prosecute them for this," Prof Stevenson said.

"But this [Hunter Biden] is a high-profile person and there's been members of Congress demanding he be prosecuted."

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

I put up his quote verbatim -- if you want to attack it that's up to you. But I don't have to justify it to your liking.

And the Mukasey quote was AUG 18, 2023:

Michael B. Mukasey, a former U.S. attorney general and longtime Manhattan federal judge, said because of the complex issues raised in all four of Mr. Trump’s cases, “I think the odds are slim to none that any of them gets to trial before the election.”

Stop raising straw men. You can quote whomeover you like on any subject whatsoever. No one's denying your right to do so.  Just as it's my right to point out that you made a pretty poor choice in the case of Barr.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Just as it's my right to point out that you made a pretty poor choice in the case of Barr.

regardless of how wrong you are i still support your right to say it. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Stop raising straw men. You can quote whomeover you like on any subject whatsoever. No one's denying your right to do so.  Just as it's my right to point out that you made a pretty poor choice in the case of Barr.

I was really interested in the Elie Honig comment but next time I'll be more careful.

Edited by jerrymahoney