Thailand to tax residents’ foreign income irrespective of remittance

2 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

Of course it does.

It does not, however, mean that a remittance of a government pension results in assessable income for Thai tax purposes.

(Check your home country's DTA to see if government pensions are covered.)

So we are still not clear on whether government pensions are included as taxable or not - mine is taxed in the UK already, of course.

8 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

So we are still not clear on whether government pensions are included as taxable or not - mine is taxed in the UK already, of course.

Government pensions are covered in the UK/Thailand DTA.

Here is a list of Government/Non Government pensions according to HM Gov.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/international-manual/intm343040

You will notice that National Insurance pensions (which I assume means State Pension) is, oddly, not a Government pension.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Government pensions are covered in the UK/Thailand DTA.

Here is a list of Government/Non Government pensions according to HM Gov.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/international-manual/intm343040

You will notice that National Insurance pensions (which I assume means State Pension) is, oddly, not a Government pension.

And the NHS pension - I don't understand that - how can the state pension and NHS pension be non-government?

23 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Many are not taxed and other pensions do not add up to the  just over 12.5k pounds approx personal allowance but folks do not forget that one can get 560K  Baht on personal allowances and the forms are not out for 2024 yet and yes Mike is right we sit tight and the only one seen is the 120 or 200k but not seen any form with the allowances listed.

8 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Excuse me, did you read the posts?  State and NHS pensions are non-government?  did YOU read the DTA?

State is not a governments pension, most nhs are. You appear to be using government and state to be the same, they are not

Edited by Mike Lister
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

State is not a governments pension, most nhs are.

Mike, please. I respect your knowledge, but you are incorrect on this one. NHS are NON-government, as clearly laid out in the DTA. 

I receive an NHSBSA pension (NHS) I have now found out it is classed as NG. I am due for a state pension in a few months, and I now find out this also is NG. It seems utterly bizarre. 

2 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Mike, please. I respect your knowledge, but you are incorrect on this one. NHS are NON-government, as clearly laid out in the DTA. 

I receive an NHSBSA pension (NHS) I have now found out it is classed as NG. I am due for a state pension in a few months, and I now find out this also is NG. It seems utterly bizarre. 

That has always been the case with state, a common misperception. I will need to look back at NHS pensions again, I am certain it was clarified in the early days that most NHS are classed as government 

43 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

The Pattaya tax advisor.

LoL. This sounds like every Thai tax advisor’s wet dream. Endless sheep voluntarily running to the slaughterhouse.

First of all, I'll wait until, whichever tax office in the world, officially writes to me and provides me with the relevant infos and forms.

In my case the timeline wouldn't work at all. And my local DTA also speaks against it. For example: My profits/income from rentals in 2024 in my home country. There I have time until the end of 2025 to declare my income to the local tax office. I will receive the tax assessment for 2024 perhaps in February 2026. Sorry Thailand, it is impossible for me to declare my 2024 profits and income at the end of March 2025.

Yep this form has loads of guys who can wait to pay loads of taxes...Heck they will be happy to pay a so called tax expert to make sure they pay even more taxes....lol......

While I bet the the Chinese,Russians and Thais dont pay jack...

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

So the correct answer is that some NHS are and some are not, which is what I said.

There is only one NHS Mike—ONE. Minor local healthcare providers might exist, but the NHSBSA will pay 99%. Got it now?  

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

There is only one NHS Mike—ONE. Minor local healthcare providers might exist, but the NHSBSA will pay 99%. Got it now?  

I'm happy for you that you've got things clear in your own mind and that it's clear that State pension is not a government pension, as per below.  You'll forgive me for not having the same in depth understanding of the structure and payment mechanism's of the National Health Service, in a country I have barely ever lived in, as that of an ex NHS employee. 

"So how will Uk government state pensions be affected?  I'm due to collect mine in a few months".

Edited by Mike Lister
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mike Lister said:

I'm happy for you that you've got things clear in your own mind and that it's clear that State pension is not a government pension.  You'll forgive me for not having the same in depth understanding of the structure and payment mechanism's of the National Health Service, in a country I have barely ever lived in, as that of an ex NHS employee. 

Understood - I wasn't trying to score points, and I appreciate your posts very much.

Just so everyone is clear, this is the NHS pension body for the UK. I am still not clear about whether I will have to pay double tax or not.

Screenshot (199).png

19 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Understood - I wasn't trying to score points, and I appreciate your posts very much.

Just so everyone is clear, this is the NHS pension body for the UK. I am still not clear about whether I will have to pay double tax or not.

Screenshot (199).png

Bob. Just my thoughts.

Did you work for the NHS and get paid by the local authority, or did you work for NHSBSA - providing services for the NHS?

If you were paid by the local authority during your career and NHSBSA are just the people administering your pension, then I'd think you have a Government pension.

If you worked for NHSBSA, maybe it's non government.

Would be a good idea to write to your pension provider asking for clarity.

6 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Bob. Just my thoughts.

Did you work for the NHS and get paid by the local authority, or did you work for NHSBSA - providing services for the NHS?

If you were paid by the local authority during your career and NHSBSA are just the people administering your pension, then I'd think you have a Government pension.

If you worked for NHSBSA, maybe it's non government.

Would be a good idea to write to your pension provider asking for clarity.

Hi - I was a hospital manager. Worked for the NHS itself - pension is paid by the NHS BSA as millions are.  The NHSBSA is just the arm of the NHS which pays us the pension.

57 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

What if you determine that you'll owe no tax and just don't get a number and don't file.

At the end of the day, UNLESS immigration starts to demand tax stuff for extensions, that's what most not working in Thailand expats are going to do anyway.

The TRD Code states that a Thai tax resident must obtain a Thai TIN, within 60 days of exceeding the minimum threshold (60k, 120k or 220k) regardless of whether tax is payable or not.