What visa to stay 175 days a year to avoid 800k deposit in bank?

22 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Just use an agent.

For around 18,000 baht they'll get you a retirement visa and a bank account.   

No they won't. Even in Pattaya where it's cheap it's 25-26k for the non-imm O plus 12 month extension. You'll then have another 4500 for bank account so around 30k

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

I still use retirement option even I will not stay more than 180 days a year. Even if I did not have embassy letter, I would transfer 800 a year to spend when I was there, and refill for every renewal. 

Even you can withdraw less than half after first 3 month's and refill in time up to 800(+) for next extension in case not staying the full year .

just keep the needed money in time to transfer in again in a proper time frame

19 minutes ago, david555 said:

Even you can withdraw less than half after first 3 month's and refill in time up to 800(+) for next extension in case not staying the full year .

just keep the needed money in time to transfer in again in a proper time frame

If you transfor 800k first year, and you spend half of it, then it is only 400 to top up for next visa renewal. I have now renewal at a time I most likely always will be there, and this year I will only spend 4 months in Thailand total, so 800k should not be to difficult to maintain there. Also a good security asset just in case. 

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

No they won't. Even in Pattaya where it's cheap it's 25-26k for the non-imm O plus 12 month extension. You'll then have another 4500 for bank account so around 30k

For the first time,your correct.  Once established it's 18,000.

Certainly different agents charge different prices 

In any event it's the way to go if you're unable to come up with 800,000 baht deposit.

It's a good idea to have an account in any case and well worth the 4,500 or whatever your particular agent charges.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, TimBKK said:

An OA extension in Pattaya is about 16k (Cambo/Inter agency) all in - ext., 800k, health insurance.  

OP is not currently in Thailand and has no visa so I quoted the first time applicant price for non-imm O + 12 month extension.

If you can get an O-A extension including health insurance for 16k then well done. I imagine the insurance is pretty much worthless at that price but ticks the visa box

Edited by Pattaya57

Let me understand, so if you are 50+ you are forced to apply for a retirement visa/extension? It sounds crazy, why can't he just apply for a multiple tourist visa? He is not obliged to do a retirement visa. This country is being too stressful really, because of money system. Before covid, now tax, and then what else?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Jack1988 said:

Let me understand, so if you are 50+ you are forced to apply for a retirement visa/extension? It sounds crazy, why can't he just apply for a multiple tourist visa? He is not obliged to do a retirement visa. This country is being too stressful really, because of money system. Before covid, now tax, and then what else?

You can have whatever visa you want, for me it is easier to continue renewing my retirement visa

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Jack1988 said:

Because OP stated he wanted to do 175 days without ever leaving Thailand. Can't do that on a METV

• Confused 1

To me it doesn't make much sense to stay in thailand less than 6 months with a retirement extension. Too many papers for immigration, 800k to keep in the bank ecc. Much easier to just come with a tourist visa

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

Because OP stated he wanted to do 175 days without ever leaving Thailand. Can't do that on a METV

He also stated the intention was for the whole family to come.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jack1988 said:

To me it doesn't make much sense to stay in thailand less than 6 months with a retirement extension. Too many papers for immigration, 800k to keep in the bank ecc. Much easier to just come with a tourist visa

....Or have an agent do it for you while you sip a martini and have your "shoes" shined.

Excellent if you also wanted to extend your stay a little longer. 

Personally that had always happened to me on my first visits.  Never wanted to leave.

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

....Or have an agent do it for you while you sip a martini and have your "shoes" shined.

OP is married to a Thai and would like to bring the whole family (22 of them) for up to 175 days per annum.

That's a lot of shoes for an agent to shine.

• Haha 2

The new DTV visa might be what you're looking for but we are waiting for concrete details.

So far it looks like it will be a 5-year multiple entry visa, which gives you a stay of 180 days with each entry stamp and costs 10,000 baht.

However, at the moment it looks like there may be a requirement to show or maybe even maintain the equivalent 500,000 baht in a bank account and we don't know much about the other requirements either. We'll have to wait and see.

Concrete information about this new visa hasn't been published yet and until it is I wouldn't make plans based on what I, or any others may have said about it. We may all be wrong.

Hopefully the actual details will be available by the end of the month.

• Agree 1

I will use the 60 day on arrival with two extensions at immigration and one cambodia trip as the easiest way i have found to get 180 days

Yes a bit of hassle to have to leave the country but realistically it is not all that bad....do one of the van companies ( i used champion on soi 13/2) that pick you up and drive you to camboida border where you walk across and then re enter thailand...they handle it all for 3500 tbh...leave abut 5 am...about 4 hours there with a pit stop...maybe 2 hours max around border...4 hours back with a lunch stop and back in pattaya by 3 pm....not all that bad.

Of course u still have to go to immigration at end of first and second 60 days to extend 30 days..

No $$ in bank required and pretty easy to do...i used to do it with 60 day tourist visa but then you had to leave after 90 days and go to a thai consulate somwhere like vientiane and spend a couple of nights waiting for processing...

• Thumbs Up 1

Quite the opposite, change is good and healthy if it's predictable, well thought through and not changing every year. Besides, normally, with obligations come benefits too.

But, I am not leaving for good, just making sure I don't stay beyond 180 days at a time. Best of both worlds.

• Like 1

"buried in paperwork"? It takes me all of 1 hour a year to get my retirement visa. Leave 800k in the bank and that's it. What could be easier as you ger older. This new tax thing is a non event if you live on a pension which is already taxed in your home country.

20 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

have a bank here from past work and bring the cash with me...take it out when i go back home to work....albeit a few baht

Do you still have a Thai debit card?

I got a new card from Bangkok Bank last week. The member of staff when she copied my passport info page and latest visa stamp said, "Oh, you are retired" I wonder if I would have had a problem if I now had just a tourist stamp. 🤔 

I just read about many successfully converting the Retirement O to LTR visa but also just read that the Thai Government is now talking about removing the tax free status of the LTR visa.  Sorry but this is just becoming a joke now, nobody can take them seriously anymore.

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, expatsoon said:

just read that the Thai Government is now talking about removing the tax free status of the LTR visa.  Sorry but this is just becoming a joke now, nobody can take them seriously anymore.

could you give a link for your source?

1 hour ago, bg53 said:

could you give a link for your source?

First off, I meant changing the "17%" flat tax to worldwide income tax.  I will look as I did not save the link, it shouldn't take me too long to find and I will post it tonight or tomorrow.

Posted (edited)
On 6/8/2024 at 11:27 AM, Pattaya57 said:

I was quoted 18,000, by the lady dealing with the TM 30, at an IO office in December '23.

All anyone in Thailand can really do is quote their own experience in whatever part of the kingdom they happen to be at any particular time.

You might want to poke your head out of Pattaya sometime to find that out for yourself......but of course you won't.

Edited by Enoon

Posted (edited)

Those recommending a Non Imm Type O might not have checked recently but now even if applying outside of Thailand & planning to just use the 90 day portion you still need to show the 400/800k in bank

Here is the LA Consulate

Note the type O for even visiting Thai Family which is what we always used for our 90 day trips based on marriage to Thai is now needing 15k USD/400k TBH in account to process

Same for Type O with retirement in mind...It use to be 90 day & just show 1k usd but now show 800k THB before you even go. This is not OA either just plain O visa's which use to be the basic 90 day visa & for some is staying they would then season money 2 months in Thailand & get extension etc

Now it seems if you want just a 90 day the only option (at this time) is a TR visa 60 days & ext 30 days. If you want 90 days

If you want 180 days then of course the multi but yes you need to leave/re-enter

Edited by mania

On 6/9/2024 at 5:54 AM, pomchop said:

Yes a bit of hassle to have to leave the country

For myself and many others a short holiday in Phnom Phen is wonderful.

It's not the same place 10-15 years ago.  It's got great hotels,excellent restaurants,and plenty of gorgeous girls.  

I really enjoy it there.

Great way to extend your visa and have a little change of pace.

• Like 1

What I would do, if I had your concerns:
1) Get a Non-O 90-day visa in Canada based on Marriage to a Thai.

2) Get a 1-year extension in Thailand based on marriage - is a PITA, but only have to do it once.  This only requires 400K in the bank, so less to worry about re taxes for that year.  Your FIRST extension (only) MUST be based on the reason used for the visa you used to enter Thailand.

3) Get subsequent 1-year extensions based on Retirement, after transferring another 400K to Thailand 2+ months before your last extension expires.  I would xfer 3 mo in-advance, and apply 1 month before the existing extension expires, so plenty of time to handle any issue.  

With this plan, you would only xfer 400K bank-money per year, minimizing tax-liability.   And, if your income is from a pre-taxed source or non-taxable in Thailand, even better.  A clear-cut case (state-pensions, etc) will not be "overruled" by whatever local authority. 

On 6/9/2024 at 1:16 AM, wmlc said:

Considering that the 180 day rule has been around for years and just some changes on what income is included were amended this year, I would say you and many others are overreacting about all this tax news.

I mentioned before that 22 of us which includes my family of 4 and some members of the hiking club I belong to would have wanted to retire in Thailand.  I kind of messed things up for them as I told them one story then all these tax changes, proposed tax changes that I didn't see coming are now a reality and keep updating them what is going on.  What I've decided to do is let them all figure it out for themselves and follow this forum which is really good for all the updates and everyone can make their own decision.

I know what you're saying about not to over react and if it was only me I wouldn't think about it at all, but I'm responsible for my family as well and would have wanted some clearer signals from Thailand to be honest.  Even though my wife is Thai, she has often said she'd much rather prefer Vietnam than Thailand and then 6 months in our home country so we don't have to give up anything so that is probably what we will do as well as fly once in the 6 months from Vietnam to Thailand to visit our family there for a couple of weeks.

This must be the most retarded question to ask as well to be replying on knowing the entire visa issue is resolved soon, regardless of global tax outcome.

To not even start that the OP states he has a wife, so he could simply do 2x non-o single or whatever else, aside from border runs, on arrivals + extensions etc etc etc. I mean jeesh, get your life and brain together + working? Must be under a rock for real. Are these posts even real? Or just fake and for traffic?

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1