Two bikers killed in tragic Phetchaburi accident

image.jpeg

A tragic accident involving a group of big bike riders on a trip to Phetchaburi resulted in the deaths of two people. The incident occurred when a young woman, riding a pillion, fell off the motorcycle, and a subsequent attempt to avoid her by another bike led to a fatal collision with a truck.

The accident took place at 8.10am today. Narathip Sri-aj, an officer at Khao Yoi Police Station, received a report of the incident where a person fell off a motorcycle and was subsequently run over by a truck at a petrol station in Bang Khem, Khao Yoi District, Phetchaburi. The officer, along with medical personnel from Khao Yoi Hospital and rescue volunteers from Sawang Sanphet Thammasathan Foundation, rushed to the scene.

At the scene on Petchkasem Road (southbound) in front of the petrol station in Huai Rong, Khao Yoi District, authorities found two deceased individuals. Rachata and Suphattra, both 22 years old, were identified as the victims. Their bodies were severely mangled with brain matter scattered around, indicating the severity of the accident.

The group of big bike riders had set off on a trip to Phetchaburi. While on the way, Suphattra, who was riding a pillion on a Yamaha big bike, lost her balance and fell off the motorcycle. A truck following closely behind was unable to brake in time, running over her and causing fatal injuries.

by  Nattapong Westwood

Picture courtesy of KhaoSod

Source: The Thaiger 2024-06-10

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 7

21 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Riding slicks in the rain season 

Falling off the bike

Sounds safety first was top priority 

There is no mention if rain so the slick tyre is irrelevant.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The report yesterday stated that the group of bikers were going as fast as...which they always do when in these groups....overtaking and undertaking.....

Falling off and then get squashed under a truck, is bad 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

The report yesterday stated that the group of bikers were going as fast as...which they always do when in these groups....overtaking and undertaking.....

Falling off and then get squashed under a truck, is bad 

Yeah, I read the same thing, can't find it now.....the original article had a witness stating the bikes were speeding and weaving in and out of traffic before colliding with each other just before being run over.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

While on the way, Suphattra, who was riding a pillion on a Yamaha big bike, lost her balance and fell off the motorcycle.

I have no assumption as to why she fell off, though it’s possible she fell asleep. On long trips I make sure my wife keeps her arms tight around me so I know she hasn’t dozed off.

37 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

Yeah, I read the same thing, can't find it now.....the original article had a witness stating the bikes were speeding and weaving in and out of traffic before colliding with each other just before being run over.

Found it, the article is on Bangkok Post, its still has the witness's statement in it, which makes more sense than the explanation in the TheThaiger article.

Edited by lordgrinz
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

which makes more sense than the explanation in the TheThaiger article.

TheThaiger is notorious for getting it wrong 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

Witnesses stated they (large motorcycle group) were spread across 3 lanes of traffic riding at highspeed, and overtaking other vehicles from the left and the right before the two bikes hit each other and fell over. They were then run over by a lorry. 

Play stupid games on a motorcycle, don't be surprised by the outcome.....just a dumb move, especially in Thailand.

Yeah, I didn´t read the article in the link. However, that´s just playing with your life. So, the result of stupid once again. 

52 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Why are you saying that? Seems to me this is the bikers fault. First they are not driving safe enough and too quick so one fall off. Another one is attempting a sudden quick break or manoeuvre. Probably driving quicker, but if that happens an a truck only drives in 60-70km/h it will be very hard to stop in time even with 30 meter space between them.

Agreed the first bike/pillion were at fault but a following truck must have been very close not to avoid the girl.

Second bike must have also been too close because they had to "swerve" to miss the first girl.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Agreed the first bike/pillion were at fault but a following truck must have been very close not to avoid the girl.

Second bike must have also been too close because they had to "swerve" to miss the first girl.

Yeah, you chose to say too close, and I chose to say too quick. Same same, at the end result! 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I picture two bikes weaving in and out of traffic at highspeed and colliding in front an unsuspecting lorry driver. 

Edited by lordgrinz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

Why are you saying that? Seems to me this is the bikers fault. First they are not driving safe enough and too quick so one fall off. Another one is attempting a sudden quick break or manoeuvre. Probably driving quicker, but if that happens an a truck only drives in 60-70km/h it will be very hard to stop in time even with 30 meter space between them.

Firstly dealing with this comment...   any following vehicle should be following within their 'stopping distance'... 

If the vehicle cannot stop in time it is too close for the speed it is traveling.

However, going by other reports and info - if the bikes were swerving and weaving in and out of lanes and one bike collided with another causing the woman to fall off, she may have fell into the path of the truck (presumably on the inside / left most lane) leaving the truck no time to stop, with the ensuing tragic consequences. 

Finally, just to head off a few comments - plenty of members always accuse those of us who discuss such incidences as being 'wannabe armchair detectives' - but discussing these events helps us understand how they may have occurred so we can avoid similar circumstances either as riding, or when driving and giving vehicle behaving similarly more space etc... 

• Love It 1

Riding in convoy is generally safer for all riders, however all riders still need to be aware of their abilities/capabilities. 

Stick to the road rules and ride safely. 

Personally I dislike riders that swerve in and out of traffic as if they are on a race track.  That increases risk to all.  

From the reports mentioned, it appears they were hooning and going well outside their capabilities. Also endangering other road users. 

These 2 have paid the ultimate price by being a pillion passenger behind stupid riders.  Will the riders in charge of the bikes learn anything from this?  One hopes they do. 

23 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Firstly dealing with this comment...   any following vehicle should be following within their 'stopping distance'... 

If the vehicle cannot stop in time it is too close for the speed it is traveling.

However, going by other reports and info - if the bikes were swerving and weaving in and out of lanes and one bike collided with another causing the woman to fall off, she may have fell into the path of the truck (presumably on the inside / left most lane) leaving the truck no time to stop, with the ensuing tragic consequences. 

Finally, just to head off a few comments - plenty of members always accuse those of us who discuss such incidences as being 'wannabe armchair detectives' - but discussing these events helps us understand how they may have occurred so we can avoid similar circumstances either as riding, or when driving and giving vehicle behaving similarly more space etc... 

So, now you came and corrected many of us. We are so lucky that you have all the superior knowledge to always walk in and do that. Thanks Richard! Really, from the bottom of my heart.

First you are dealing with my comment as it is wrong, and after that agree to that it might have been circumstances that would leave the truck no time to stop. Yes, that was about what I posted, but not in the same fancy way like you did it, right?

After that, you are assuming it will come a lot of comments regarding armchair detectives? Really? Had a nice party yesterday? Still partying?

Edited by Gottfrid

1 minute ago, Gottfrid said:

So, now you came and corrected many of us. We are so lucky that you have all the superior knowledge to always walk in and do that. Thanks Richard! Really, from the bottom of my heart.

First you are dealing with my comment as it is wrong, and after that agree to that it might have been circumstances that would leave the truck no time to stop. Yes, that was about what I posted, but not in the same fancy way like you did it, right?

Take a chill pill...  or what it is to pull yourself back from the edge of wanting to jump into an argument - there is no argument here.

I wasn't contradicting you, rather, adding to the comments, I was agreeing with you, but could also see how others might read your comments slightly differently and press the issue with some disagreement - as some will argue that any vehicle must follow another with the correct stopping distance. 

I have pointed out how it might have been possible to for one of the motorcyclists to end up on front of the truck without giving the truck time to stop.

1 minute ago, Gottfrid said:

After that, you are assuming it will come a lot of comments regarding armchair detectives? Really? Had a nice party yesterday? Still partying?

Correct - usually in these threads when we discuss events and possible causes, where will be a number of posters who come along and state that we know nothing, are guessing, are making assumptions, we weren't there, are we crash-investigators, we are just armchair-detectives (a favourite)....  the point of that last sentence in my post was to 'pre-empt the pointlessness of such comments... to remove the oxygen they may have... 

Nothing against you - so you can retract the neck a little and relax...  have a cuppa !.. 

2 hours ago, novacova said:

I have no assumption as to why she fell off, though it’s possible she fell asleep. On long trips I make sure my wife keeps her arms tight around me so I know she hasn’t dozed off.

Could be caused by a quick acceleration, which would cause a bit of a wheelie pop, so if not hanging on to the rider off yer go. Holding on to those hand grips just won't cut it.

Just now, lordgrinz said:

Got rid of my Big Bike, mainly because of the idiot motorcyclist I had to share the roads with, not the cars. About 30% don't have a license, almost none of them have any formal training or knowledge of their own road laws/rules, and 90% have no business being on a motorcycle to begin with, and they seem to be completely suicidal. 

Yes, it's incredibly risky, and that's exactly why I'm looking to buy a car now. I'm sure it won't be long before my luck runs out, and God forbid I end up severely injured or dead. Just the other day, I nearly crashed into someone making an illegal U-turn in the middle of the road.

• Thanks 1

How can you fall of a big bike? You are holding the driver I suppose,or were they playing as I see them often do? Speeding, watching eachother, telephone..... Maybe better get some sense, a decent education before riding a bike

• Agree 1

This is why I don't ride in large groups, especially with people I don't know well.

Ego/excitement takes over, people start racing each other and taking silly risks.

• Agree 2