A deadly accident on Sukhumvit Road resulting from reckless U-turn

snoop1130

Screenshot_2-1.jpg

A 13-year-old boy lost his life in a tragic accident early today caused by a reckless U-turn from a pickup truck on Sukhumvit Road near Aum Rak Animal Hospital in Samet, Mueang District, Chon Buri. Police and emergency services were called to the scene around 7:30 a.m., where they discovered the severely injured body of Thanakorn, a middle school student.

The boy suffered multiple injuries, including a broken neck, ribs, arms and legs, with tire marks suggesting he'd been run over. Close to the scene, a damaged black Isuzu D-Max pickup truck with Bangkok plates was found. A white Mitsubishi Triton pickup truck, also having Bangkok plates, was found similarly damaged. The boy’s Yamaha motorcycle, registered in Prachinburi, lay in the middle of the road, smashed into a pile of metal.

Eyewitnesses stated that the black Isuzu D-Max was driving from Sukhumvit Road towards Ang Sila, with the boy travelling the same route on his motorcycle. As the truck made an illegal U-turn, it hit the motorcycle, throwing the boy into the opposite lane where the white Mitsubishi Triton struck him.

Local residents pointed out that the site of the accident is not a regulated U-turn spot and has resulted in numerous accidents before. They are urging drivers to respect traffic rules and only make U-turns at marked points to avoid accidents.

The precise cause of the crash is yet to be determined by the police. They will question both pickup truck drivers and review CCTV footage as part of the ongoing investigation.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-11

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

RIP to the boy, and throw everything at the reckless and stupid pick-up driver. However, 13 year old again on motorbike in traffic. When are parents going to take their responsibility. All accidents and deaths stemming from such things should automatically put both parents in jail for 3 months. Maybe they would learn something.

It would be very harsh to jail a grieving parent.

Fines and campaigns would do it (especially fines).

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

Same old story - enforcement.  If there was proper enforcement there would be no 13 year old kids riding motorbikes and car/pick up drivers would drive to a better standard.

In most countries, a few tragedys would spur some form of action.  In Thailand all that happens is some talk about new laws, road safety campaigns bla bla bla......... but that's all that happens, talk. Two weeks later, all is forgotten until the next time. Never mind, fill out this accident report sir.

Meanwhile the police sit in their offices eating Som Tam.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, rattlesnake said:

It would be very harsh to jail a grieving parent.

Fines and campaigns would do it (especially fines).

Yeah, and it was also very harsh of the parents to let a 13 year old out in traffic on a motorbike.

• Agree 1

There are much younger boys riding motorbikes away from the main roads in the small streets and alleys 

of housing areas with no police in sight, so no wonder that such an accident happens when they venture

out to the main roads.. what can be done? nothing, this is the way of life in many Thai communities...

• Agree 1

Saw the video. Did the man drive dangerously? Yes. Did the boy (RIP) ride dangerously? Yes.

I don't know how much to blame either party. Almost killed a woman on a motorbike once. She swerved into my lane (right, fast) to make a James Bond style u-turn. Slammed the brakes and just missed hitting her bike.

• Agree 1

There are an average of about 60 people dying on the roads in Thailand EVERY DAY.  I don't know what makes some deaths newsworthy than others, because this was a very typical accident - it involved an underaged rider on a motorcycle, a combination that is statistically over-represented in traffic fatalities.  

Will fall on deaf ears, even the RTP abuse traffic laws here, and will enforce none of them. This is Thailand, the land of selfish people, who care nothing for safety (theirs or anyone else's).

Local residents pointed out that the site of the accident is not a regulated U-turn spot and has resulted in numerous accidents before. They are urging drivers to respect traffic rules and only make U-turns at marked points to avoid accidents.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Yeah, and it was also very harsh of the parents to let a 13 year old out in traffic on a motorbike.

Two working parents with limited income in a nation that has no social safety net, has easy finance on motorbikes and a police force that doesn't enforce the law, may not have the luxury of being able to drive their kids to school.

I know I can't.

4 hours ago, jonclark said:

No - dear god - no roundabouts. In the west of Thailand (Kanchanaburi, Uthaithani, Tak) you find many more roundabouts - probably due to British influence in the Burmese road system tbh. And using them is a total nightmare as no-one seems to have a clue as to how to use indicators or how to go around them or get off them - people stop randomly to let other onto the roundabout. and once I have seen motorcycles go the wrong way around the dam things - no. Thailand and roundabouts do not mix. 

+1

Back when I was living in Phuket, there was a roundabout in Chalong which was (and probably still is) notoriously one of the most dangerous intersections on the island.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Two working parents with limited income in a nation that has no social safety net, has easy finance on motorbikes and a police force that doesn't enforce the law, may not have the luxury of being able to drive their kids to school.

I know I can't.

First, it usually costs more in gasoline per month to drive motorbike to school to school than a monthly fee. The cheaper solution is to use public transport or special songtaews or wans that collect and drive kids to school. Almost all schools that have kids who do not have walking distance to school have such services.

After all that, I must congratulate you on, as a foreigner, staying in Thailand with kids and no have time or money to drive them to school. Amazing!

51 minutes ago, Peabody said:

He should (black pickup) be charged with manslaughter. Illegal U-turn from the left lane, for pete's sake.

The vid seems to have been deleted  but I didn't see the black pickup doing a uturn from the left lane  he was in the right hand lane  and  13 year old kid tries to overtake   with not much room  just as  black pickup makes the turn   13 year old kid and bike bounces off the black pickup  right into the path of white pickup  coming in the opposite direction  no time to avoid a collision, ran straight over the kid.

• Agree 1