"Wai" Recognised as Part of Thai National Identity

webfact

... and then there is the "graab", it has some unique nuances as well...

Wai Kru Day – Sticky Rice

conditioning the kids to conform, obey and accept without question all in the guise of "respect"

• Agree 2

I prefer it than shaking someone’s dirty hand, and find it more comfortable when greeting females that often try to hug and kiss me in the UK.

nice part of Thai culture but of course will be bagged on this forum by the usual muppets that can not bring themselves to say anything positive about Thailand.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

nice part of Thai culture but of course will be bagged on this forum by the usual muppets that can not bring themselves to say anything positive about Thailand.

I will say something positive once I find something postive! 

Do you just say postive things for the sake of it? 

Bob. 

• Thanks 1

They will have to add a second line in the recognition.

I wai made together with the handover of 500 baht, can magically make all your problem disappear.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bob smith said:

I will say something positive once I find something postive! 

Do you just say postive things for the sake of it? 

Bob. 

Quite the opposite. I am just not a snowflake like you moaning about everyone and every little thing like a whinging old mole all the time. You really are not coping well.

I don’t wai farangs but if I met you I would be wary of shaking your filthy hand and would much prefer to wai you from a distance and give you a fake smile to be polite.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

20 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

like a whinging old mole

Would you please elaborate on this one a little bit. I find it very hard visualize.

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

Still don't understand the "wai", respect is earned, not given. There are very few people I have ever met in Thailand that I would even think deserve one.

Not in Thailand. In Thailand respect is given on the basisi of status. If you only respected people who were competent, the country would be in chaos.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Many Thais might be surprised that the wai is not exclusively a Thai thing, but practiced in many parts of Asia.

I think all over the world. many people use it, but more as a type of "thank you"

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Better than shaking some hand that you don't know where it has been.

They're both good to know and should be adopted both ways. Ever shake a Thai persons hand? It's like a wet noodle. 

4 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

Still don't understand the "wai", respect is earned, not given. There are very few people I have ever met in Thailand that I would even think deserve one.

fair enough but it's more about being polite most of the time. I always wai my landlord and various other older people whom I'm friendly with. It's reciprocal and builds social capital because when you're older they do it for you too. I think it's lovely tradition of theirs.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

... and then there is the "graab", it has some unique nuances as well...

Wai Kru Day – Sticky Rice

conditioning the kids to conform, obey and accept without question all in the guise of "respect"

Fox News uses the guise of fear to control its idiot viewers....same same but different...