Cost of having a house built?

My Thai wife (of 35 years) Has been offered her uncles house (well more of a large shed really) 60 miles NW of Bangkok, and a large piece of land around it.

Our idea is to demolish the hovel on it and have a medium sized house, mayb 2 or 3 bedrooms, shower etc.

Does anyone have any ideas of Housebuilding prices?

A lot depends on the building materials. I.e. you can buy a toilet for under 2000B or one over 20k. There is a wide range. Same with tiles and many other materials. 

I am sure many people here can give you some ideas. One big question is what your aim is. Do it cheap? Luxury? A couple of nice ACs? What do  you want?

3 hours ago, Hummin said:

It is very hard to know what is included and not, as well quality of materials.

It seems you know what you are talking about. And I have no experience with building a house in Thailand and no experience outside of Bangkok.

My only experience is with renovating a condominium in Bangkok from scratch.

I insisted on a quotation which separates work and materials. And I insisted on exact descriptions of the materials. This tile name from this brand cost x amount for y sqm, etc. Exactly which brand and name of paint, etc.

I think everybody should insist on that. Because otherwise it will be likely the cheapest of the cheapest. Because there is no reason for a builder to buy anything better that the cheapest.

And who wants to live in any building which was made as cheap as possible? And in Thailand as cheap as possible doesn't mean as cheap as possible with certain minimum standards. It really means as cheap as possible.

• Agree 2

17 hours ago, Gottsy said:

a better question might be what can i expect if i pay X?
i mean what is your budget?
you can spend as much as you want here and there is no guarantee of quality simply due to paying more
Hummin gives good advice
we built our house very cheap, but i am still fixing it.
i spent less on house (under 1m) and then added a nice solar system, well, landscaping, efficient aircons etc.

you can also hire a QC foreman to oversee the builder and ensure everything is according to plan (means you also need pay for proper plans)
a foreman is about 30k/month, but they deal with the builder so you do not have to.
image.jpeg.783d22a68e4e2c0751caeee1bf3a6e62.jpeg

Edited by patman30
  • Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

red brick walls.

I appreciate it was 12 years ago but did you consider AAC blocks possibly with a cavity at the time?

My Thai wife (of 35 years) Has been offered her uncles house (well more of a large shed really) 60 miles NW of Bangkok, and a large piece of land around it.

Our idea is to demolish the hovel on it and have a medium sized house, mayb 2 or 3 bedrooms, shower etc.

10 Million, including the pool

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

4 beds, 3 showers, inside kitchen, earthed electrics. red brick walls. Good toilets. 

No problems in 12 years.

2.5 THB, plus air cons etc.

02 Framework.JPG

Our House.jpg

My wife who is a house builder in Thailand recommends that you never build a roof in Thailand that has valleys. Every valley is a source of a leak. Hips are bad enough due to the ridges cracking over time etc. Look at the roof immediately above the entrance steps. You have a huge rainwater runoff from the roof to the left that lands on another roof then flows downward to the left to a solid wall. There looks like some sort of gutter system to catch the runoff. Remember in Thailand rain falls horizontally most times, not vertical so plan your roof accordingly. 

• Agree 2

"knockdown"  700k plus delivery

4 minutes ago, stratocaster said:

My wife who is a house builder in Thailand recommends that you never build a roof in Thailand that has valleys. Every valley is a source of a leak. Hips are bad enough due to the ridges cracking over time etc. Look at the roof immediately above the entrance steps. You have a huge rainwater runoff from the roof to the left that lands on another roof then flows downward to the left to a solid wall. There looks like some sort of gutter system to catch the runoff. Remember in Thailand rain falls horizontally most times, not vertical so plan your roof accordingly. 

Also to save the land house, make proper drainage to lead water away from house. At once it starts soaking under house, you get moist inside coming up from floors and walls. You dont want ponds in your driveway or garden

30 minutes ago, topt said:

I appreciate it was 12 years ago but did you consider AAC blocks possibly with a cavity at the time?

Yes, but it was too late. I was away at the time. It's OK, a bit warm sometimes.

21 minutes ago, stratocaster said:

I appreciate your comments. If I built again, I would have a mono-pitch roof.

I have removed all the guttering, which did not work properly. Just don't go out when it's raining.

An inflammatory and trolling post, against community rules has been removed.

Rule 9 - You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages. You will respect other members and post in a civil manner. Personal attacks, insults or hate speech posted on the forum or sent by private message are not allowed.

• Like 1

How long is a piece of string?  I could say 1.5 - 2 mil for a basic house and 3 - 4 mill for something better quality. However, a lot depends on the fittings you're going to put in it. Depending on what you want, the fittings can cost as much as the shell. I fitted a western kitchen and decent quality uPVC windows and doors - not much change from 600,000 for those alone and mine ain't a big house. Don't fit those c r a p chinese plastic windows.

Whatever you go for I recommend double skin walls with insulation between and don't forget the loft insulation - your house will be much cooler.

If you want a western kitchen, I can thoroughly recommend Kvik Kitchens, Bangkok - nice stuff and their fitters were very professional. They had no problems coming to my place which is 2.5 hours from Bangkok.

Edited by MangoKorat

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

4 beds, 3 showers, inside kitchen, earthed electrics. red brick walls. Good toilets. 

No problems in 12 years.

2.5 THB, plus air cons etc.

Nice place - the 2.5 mil was 12 years ago?

1 minute ago, MangoKorat said:

How long is a piece of string?  I could say 1.5 - 2 mil for a basic house and 3 - 4 mill for something better quality. However, a lot depends on the fittings you're going to put in it. Depending on what you want, the fittings can cost as much as the shell. I fitted a western kitchen and decent quality uPVC windows and doors - not much change from 600,000 for those alone and mine ain't a big house. Don't fit those c r a p chinese plastic windows.

Whatever you go for I recommend double skin walls with insulation between and don't forget the loft insulation - your house will be much cooler.

If you want a western kitchen, I can thoroughly recommend Kvik Kitchens, Bangkok - nice stuff and their fitters were very professional. They had no problems coming to my place which is 2.4 hours from Bangkok.

Problem with insulation in tropical climate, is proper ventilation, and avoiding moisture! Most local construction builders have no experience or knownledge how to build houses with insulation. 

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

Problem with insulation in tropical climate, is proper ventilation, and avoiding moisture! Most local construction builders have no experience or knownledge how to build houses with insulation. 

Not had any problems - mine came in rolls wrapped in plastic foil - not thick but highly efficient.  I fitted it tight back to the outer skin and left a 50mm air gap. The house was built single skin - the inner walls were retro fit.

1 hour ago, MangoKorat said:

Nice place - the 2.5 mil was 12 years ago?

Yes. 240 sq mtrs. That's about Bht 10,000 per.

Insulation under the roof tiles. I fitted on the battens and two whirly birds.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, ezzra said:

Now days, unless you know and trust a builder personally, it's so much the cost of building a house rather

finding good, reliable and honest builder that will do it for you on costs and time, lots of so called cowboys

builders out there that will start the job but will take ages to finish and will be asking for more money all the time...

Correct,if you get the wrong builder (and there are thousands out there)it will drive you to an early grave.

I was a bricklayer for 40 years so to avoid unnecessary stress use a builder that has a portfolio of previous work.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Gottsy said:

Not long since finished a three bed detached...one floor....all en suite .....large kitchen, diner, lounge......1.5 million baht.....plus another 0.5 million for kitchen, aircon, 1000 sq ft outside living space, Thai kitchen, 2m garden wall surrounding 0.5 rai.

Obviously price will vary tremendously re quality of materials, standard of work....but that gives you a rough idea.

• Like 1