397 HP Ford Raptor

26 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

True. The styling and trim is sufficiently in your face while remaining understated. However, the local yokels will be trawling the car accessory shops and it won't be long before a fake plastic grill is stuck on the hood. But first, they'll ditch the totally adequate and appropriate stock treads and classic black rims for something swooshy with Lambo-like bling.

From your last comment, I take it you've never driven a Beemer?

Only a wind-up. I am a proud and happy serial Ranger owner-operator and yes, the Toyota ride versus the Ranger is a chalk-and-cheese affair.

I believe that Thai people think if an accessory is made, it must be good!  There is no such thing as "bad taste" and the concept of "less is more" doesn't exist.

I've had a couple of BMW's but the last one was in the 90's.  What impressed me about them was the Chassis.

11 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

All too slow, why be part of the problem when you can get a BYD Seal Performance that is far faster and cheaper to run with 8 years warranty, 8 years free servicing, 0-100 in 3.8s, 4WD and 530hp.

IMG_20240617_101619.jpg

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

But first, they'll ditch the totally adequate and appropriate stock treads and classic black rims for something swooshy with Lambo-like bling.

Drive nicer on the road with a set of 20" rims and Yokohama rubber.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Too common, everyone has one. 

Pay the extra, Get a used C63.

Yeah, I am always looking for 2nd C63s if I browse for cars. Not many though. But the price is different already, 2mb (C43, 2018-2022 models) vs. 3mb (C63, 2012-2014 models).  But in that case I would go for a CLS53, it just looks so awesome. Anyway, I don't have more than 2,5mb to spend, I love pickups and the HP on the Raptor is just insane so I am totally sold on that one, but I don't even know if DTV will make my wishes become real 😂

Edited by AreYouGerman

4 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

No electrical vehicles! Ever. I don't like to destroy the Earth with those batteries and the stuff they put in there. EV is only for females and feminists.

There is an element of this which concerns me...    I'm not so sure we (the global community) have fully evaluated the 'Battery' conundrum, even with future development, vs carbon capture and hydrogen tech... 

I for one am not convinced batteries are the way forwards - though I do like the torque of an EV.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

All too slow, why be part of the problem when you can get a BYD Seal Performance that is far faster and cheaper to run with 8 years warranty, 8 years free servicing, 0-100 in 3.8s, 4WD and 530hp.

Where...   speed is somewhat irrelevant, as much fun as an EV may be (torque)...   

But.. back to where ?....  in Bangkok, where do you get your BYD serviced each year (or whatever)...    I see a lot of BYD on the road and wonder if any existing service centres are not going to be completely overwhelmed in a few months... 

Thus: honest question - Is your BYD in Chiang Rai (assumption from your username) easy to get serviced ?

• Confused 2

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Where...   speed is somewhat irrelevant, as much fun as an EV may be (torque)...   

But.. back to where ?....  in Bangkok, where do you get your BYD serviced each year (or whatever)...    I see a lot of BYD on the road and wonder if any existing service centres are not going to be completely overwhelmed in a few months... 

Thus: honest question - Is your BYD in Chiang Rai (assumption from your username) easy to get serviced ?

We have 2 BYD Dealers/Service Centers in Chiang Rai, one in the town centre on the strip with all the auto makers and another 1km away near the white temple, again on the superhighway. My car is indeed in Chiang Rai, I use the one in the town centre.

EV's only have 1% of the moving parts of an ICE car so servicing is a doddle and reliability too.  I have had one service, it took 15-20 minutes.  They can afford to give 8 years free servicing because the brake pads will probably last the life of the car (brakes are typically only used to bring the car to a final stop), it needs a HEPA filter for the cabin and the coolant levels checking.

Some facts people misunderstand about EV's, they catch fire between 11 and 130 times less often than ICE cars, the battery is expected to last the life of the car, they don't cost a fortune to insure, they retain their value comparably to ICE cars, Thailand has a superb charging network and if you charge at home you don't need another charging station any nearer than 150km away (250km with a BYD Seal).

They cost about 0.8 baht per km to run and are incredibly fun to drive.  Because they are silent, you get out after 3 or 4 hours driving as fresh as a daisy.

I am on my 2nd pure EV (3rd if you count a few months whilst driving a temporary EV).  I can't imagine ever buying another ICE car.

The power/torque curve on an EV is fairly flat, IMHO for every day driving the hp figure of an EV is equivalent to an ICE plus 33%, so a 530hp EV is equivalent to about a 700hp ICE car.  The car is set up with a slight oversteer bias and if you're so inclined it is set up to drift.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

the battery is expected to last the life of the car,

Really? What is the lifespan of the car? What kind of warranty is given on the battery?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, wimpy said:

Really? What is the lifespan of the car? What kind of warranty is given on the battery?

The battery is warranted more than double the average Internal Combustion Engine warranty.

As for the lifespan of the car? who knows?  I'd be guessing at 20 years.  What is any car worth at 20 years old anyway?

Tesla car batteries are designed to last a long time. According to Elon Musk, they should last between 300,000 and 500,000 miles. Based on average driving distances, this means a new Tesla battery could last anywhere from 22 to 37 years1. Additionally, Tesla’s 2021 impact report suggests that their batteries are intended to last for the life of the vehicle, which is estimated at around 200,000 miles in the U.S2.  https://www.makeuseof.com/tesla-battery-lifespan/

BYD use LiFePO4 batteries which last twice as long as most of Tesla's batteries and all of their earlier batteries until a couple of years ago.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

The battery is warranted more than double the average Internal Combustion Engine warranty.

As for the lifespan of the car? who knows?  I'd be guessing at 20 years.  What is any car worth at 20 years old anyway?

Tesla car batteries are designed to last a long time. According to Elon Musk, they should last between 300,000 and 500,000 miles. Based on average driving distances, this means a new Tesla battery could last anywhere from 22 to 37 years1. Additionally, Tesla’s 2021 impact report suggests that their batteries are intended to last for the life of the vehicle, which is estimated at around 200,000 miles in the U.S2.  https://www.makeuseof.com/tesla-battery-lifespan/

BYD use LiFePO4 batteries which last twice as long as most of Tesla's batteries and all of their earlier batteries until a couple of years ago.

off topic

11 minutes ago, AreYouGerman said:

Yeah, wokeism has to inject itself everywhere, not even the 397 HP Ford Raptor topic is save.

In my case, not wokeism, it's purely the driving experience.

Incidentally, my first EV here was a German model with 680 hp.  I love power and have a lot of respect for this Raptor.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

If that wasn't some double speak I've never seen it.

What I have read is that recent EV's offer an 8 year warranty on the battery. Do you have an 8 year old EV?

What my experience with Chinese companies tells me is that they use to go bust, or change name, when massive warranty claims are filed, and the customer is left holding the bag.

FYI, Warren Buffett is in the news for dumping his BYD shares. Maybe he knows something you don't.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/berkshire-hathaway-sells-39-8-094308237.html

BEIJING/NEW YORK (Reuters) -Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway has trimmed its stake in China's BYD, which surpassed Tesla last year as the world's largest seller of electric vehicles.

Berkshire recently sold 1.3 million Hong Kong-listed BYD shares for HK$310.5 million ($39.8 million), according to a filing on Monday with the Hong Kong stock exchange. That reduced its stake in BYD's issued H-shares to 6.90% from 7.02%.

Buffett's company began investing in Shenzhen-based BYD in 2008, when it paid $230 million for about 225 million shares, then equal to a 10% stake.

17 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

If that wasn't some double speak I've never seen it.

What I have read is that recent EV's offer an 8 year warranty on the battery. Do you have an 8 year old EV?

What my experience with Chinese companies tells me is that they use to go bust, or change name, when massive warranty claims are filed, and the customer is left holding the bag.

FYI, Warren Buffett is in the news for dumping his BYD shares. Maybe he knows something you don't.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/berkshire-hathaway-sells-39-8-094308237.html

BEIJING/NEW YORK (Reuters) -Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway has trimmed its stake in China's BYD, which surpassed Tesla last year as the world's largest seller of electric vehicles.

Berkshire recently sold 1.3 million Hong Kong-listed BYD shares for HK$310.5 million ($39.8 million), according to a filing on Monday with the Hong Kong stock exchange. That reduced its stake in BYD's issued H-shares to 6.90% from 7.02%.

Buffett's company began investing in Shenzhen-based BYD in 2008, when it paid $230 million for about 225 million shares, then equal to a 10% stake.

Berkshire Hathaway sold about 2% of its stake, I wouldn’t read anything into that, they sold more last year.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Berkshire Hathaway sold about 2% of its stake, I wouldn’t read anything into that, they sold more last year.

Now I understand why you think your calculation about EV durability are correct...............

Buffett sold more than 30% of hi stake in BYD so far.

That reduced its stake in BYD's issued H-shares to 6.90% from 7.02%.

33 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

27 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

Now I understand why you think your calculation about EV durability are correct...............

Buffett sold more than 30% of hi stake in BYD so far.

That reduced its stake in BYD's issued H-shares to 6.90% from 7.02%.

Read my post again, they sold 2% of their stake, they sold more last year.

Actually they just sold 1.7% of their stake.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Read my post again, they sold 2% of their stake, they sold more last year.

Actually they just sold 1.7% of their stake.

It doesn't matter when they sold ho much.

Buffett is known for his buy and hold forever stakes in companies, and only sells when he smells that something isn't right.

He started with 10% and now holds 6.9%, that is more than a 30% reduction, regardless how you want to wriggle yourself in an attempt to deny FACTS.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, CallumWK said:

It doesn't matter when they sold ho much.

Buffett is known for his buy and hold forever stakes in companies, and only sells when he smells that something isn't right.

He started with 10% and now holds 6.9%, that is more than a 30% reduction, regardless how you want to wriggle yourself in an attempt to deny FACTS.

I watched an interview with Warren Buffet when he sold last year, you're reading it all wrong.  

You're jumping to an incorrect conclusion because he just sold 1.7% of his holding, it's peanuts and inline with what he said he would do last year.

The only wriggler is you, when your sensationalist 30% became 1.7%

• Thumbs Up 1

People should expect EV insurance might  increase in 2025

due to number of water in battery claims

OIC orders 23 companies to submit risk management plans "EV guarantee

In the past, the OIC has been concerned about flooding threats to EV vehicles. That is not only damage to the car. But it brings damage to other points, whether it's the battery, software, but it has been proven that many cases are affected by flooding. The damage was not as severe as expected. Still at an acceptable level

“OIC warns all companies to be careful of flooding. Which areas are insured and flooding occurs frequently? Let each company quote EV insurance premiums to reflect the actual risk. https://www.prachachat.net/finance/news-1569337

14 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

The only wriggler is you, when your sensationalist 30% became 1.7%

Yep just 1.7%. We aren't talking about the other day only, Buffett is selling BYD for a long time already, because he knows something isn't right, as with most Chinese companies.

But of course, as a hardened EV fanboy it is difficult for you to face the truth, so deflection and denying the facts are your only resorts.

https://www.asiafinancial.com/buffett-sells-25-8-million-more-byd-shares-stake-down-by-61

Warren Buffett-owned Berkshire Hathaway sold another $25.78 million worth of BYD shares last week, slashing its total stake in Chinese electric vehicle-maker by more than 61% since 2022.

That’s down from a 20.49% stake Berkshire had in the carmaker’s H shares when it began selling off its holdings since late August 2022.