30,000 Baht Lost Due to Incomplete ATM Deposit in Bangkok

webfact

29 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why do people not take their cards is the bigger question.

Reminds me of the guy who walked into a pub, ordered a pint, paid for it and ran out without drinking it.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, simon43 said:

[quote]

Is it really a crime to find money sitting in an ATM machine? What person would not take it if you saw it sitting there?

[/quote]

Well, that statement tells me all I need to know about you >> a low -life thief in the making!

Yes , take it to bring it to the bank later on to prevent unlawful people from taking the cash when they access the atm.

6 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Will teach him a lesson; Thais always need to take the shortcut, never read an instruction manual and believe, that instructions, rules and regulations are only for all the others ........

Possibly an educational hammer but he will be more careful in the future 😉 

Maybe not a Thai. Ter name sounds foreign ( maybe yunnan myanmar Chinese) as bangkapi area has many tour guides staying there. 

54 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It was obviously left in the cash deposit tray by the customer, it was not any "cash box", and had not been accepted as a deposit because he did not complete the transaction before walking away, it was his money and he left it there for anyone to find and steal.

Like the dilemma when you passed the cash to the bank teller to count for your deposit and at that moment, the bank robber struck. The cash is in the teller’s 

hand but the machine had not printed the deposit in time. Whose cash is it then ? 
the bank’s or the customer’s. I can Imagine the pantomime of both sides pushing the cash towards each other to get rid of the ownership. 

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

It is the same with withdrawing money from an atm machine, in Europe, before you take the money out of the machine, you have to take out your credit card first, here in LOS it is exactly the other way around, resulting in forgetting to take out the credit card.
People have been complaining about this for years but they don't change it.
Why not, is the big question.

"before you take the money out of the machine, you have to take out your credit card first, here in LOS it is exactly the other way around, resulting in forgetting to take out the credit card."

Then, would it not be vise versa?

You take the card and forget the money?

15 hours ago, digger70 said:

30,000 Baht Lost Due to Incomplete ATM Deposit in Bangkok. 

The bank is Wrong .

It's there ATM thus their responsibility that that ATM Works 100%

If the ATM 's  Sensor Failed   to stop Other Costumers from Taking  money out off the Storage bin  than that is the Banks responsibility to rectify that  to protect costumers from losing their money.

Own up Bank , Pay up for your mistake /Non maintenance.

So it wasn't his fault for not completing the transaction? Was it the first time he had ever deposited cash at the bank? 

• Agree 1

You need to use a CDM to deposit money. Or an ATM/CDM but the writer doesn’t either seem to know that or think it’s important to write an accurate article. 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, BangkokHank said:

That's what the machine is for, but I would never deposit money into a machine. Too much could go wrong, as we saw in this case.

Too much could go wrong?   Huh?  This is one incidence out of, probably millions, since the CDM service was introduced, the chance of anything going wrong is minimal and, in this case, it was the fault of the customer for not completing his transaction, if he had done so there would have been no problem as shown by the customer who followed him.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

On 6/13/2024 at 7:24 AM, bunnydrops said:

I am not sure how this machine works, but It should return the money before he gets his card back and if there is money still in the machine, it should have locked access to it until the original card is reinserted. If the machine returned his money before he got his card back, how did he miss it.

On 6/13/2024 at 8:03 AM, Peterphuket said:

It is the same with withdrawing money from an atm machine, in Europe, before you take the money out of the machine, you have to take out your credit card first, here in LOS it is exactly the other way around, resulting in forgetting to take out the credit card.

Money deposit van be done without card.

On 6/13/2024 at 7:35 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

The bank is right, it is the customer's responsibility to ensure that he completes the transaction and does not leave B30k cash in the tray and walk away.

My opinion is that the safety of the costumer is very imported , meaning that ones the money is put into the ATM tray the sensor should've prevented  Anyone from taking the cash out even when the transaction isn't Finished.

Ones the money is In one Can't take that Out.  

• Agree 1

On 6/13/2024 at 8:03 AM, Peterphuket said:

Interesting how you assume Thai/Asian banks are wrong here. Why don't the Euro banks change their procedure? Or better yet remove head from anus before leaving the ATM and pay attention 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/12/2024 at 3:59 PM, thesetat2013 said:

What person would not take it if you saw it sitting there? True a police report for theft could be made. But to get the police to actually find and prosecute someone is a different story. 

In the UK, a theft occurs when there is a dishonest appropriation of property belonging to another with the intention to permanently deprive.[4] This definition can therefore include property that is found, whether abandoned or incorrectly delivered, where the finder does not take appropriate steps to return it to the lawful owner. Commonly it was accepted in the UK that property is handed in to a Police Station for repatriation, unless the finder can locate the owner directly - such as returning a credit-card to a branch of the issuing bank, or sending a driving-licence back to the DVLA. However, due to limited resource police forces in the United Kingdom no longer handle lost property and direct finders to private web sites and organisations, with a few explicitly stated exceptions relating to illegal materials, significant amounts of cash, high value items or items with significant personally identifying information.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theft_by_finding#:~:text=Theft by finding occurs when,before taking it for themselves.

So the ATM counted the cash and waited for confirmation before swallowing it ? Sounds a bit logical ? If , for example he put in  29 000 baht. And tipped in 30 000 , the ATM checks before accepting it I suppose ? I’ve never used one myself.  On the other hand shouldn’t that be recorded somewhere? 

14 hours ago, geisha said:

So the ATM counted the cash and waited for confirmation before swallowing it ? Sounds a bit logical ? If , for example he put in  29 000 baht. And tipped in 30 000 , the ATM checks before accepting it I suppose ? I’ve never used one myself.  On the other hand shouldn’t that be recorded somewhere? 

Am not sure about a record being kept until the transaction is completed and confirmed.

The money is put in the machine and counted. If accurate it asks if you are done or if wanting to add more money to it. Then he would need to confirm it and the machine would keep the money. If not confirmed the door would open so they could take the money back out. Unless he confirmed it. The money would just be sitting there in the machine waiting for someone to take it out.

Why would they record useless information to sort through with money that is put in but never confirmed? Seems like that would make sorting through completed deposits a little more difficult? 

• Agree 1

On 6/13/2024 at 8:55 PM, ravip said:

"before you take the money out of the machine, you have to take out your credit card first, here in LOS it is exactly the other way around, resulting in forgetting to take out the credit card."

Then, would it not be vise versa?

You take the card and forget the money?

No because users are greedy for money. Makes them forget the plastic.

Few will walk away without the money.

Standard in many European countries.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2024 at 7:56 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

What's that got to do with the OP?

She was the mother of the couple who stole from the ATM 🙂

On 6/13/2024 at 4:29 AM, thesetat2013 said:

The only way the bank could help would be if the people who took the money from the machine actually used an ATM debit card there. How could the bank help without some identifier telling them who it is or a worker there that knew the couple?

I once walked away from an ATM leaving my phone on the machine. The bank reviewed transactions there at the time and informed the police which customer used the ATM after me. I was told they only keep video footage for a week from their cameras.  

Also, the man failed to confirm the deposit. How does anyone know if he actually put 30k in the machine? So why would the bank offer to give him the money? 

Is it really a crime to find money sitting in an ATM machine? What person would not take it if you saw it sitting there? True a police report for theft could be made. But to get the police to actually find and prosecute someone is a different story. 

Is it really a crime to find money sitting in an ATM machine?

I don't know about the legal complexities about that. But, ethically its wrong. For the finder, it might be a 'lottery' or easy money. If you think a bit, imagine the state of the loser... sometimes, that would have been his/her life's savings which was needed for some urgent matter (sickness?). Losing a tidy sum of your hard earned wealth, if a dreadful feeling.

Anyway, taking advantage of another's folly, is not the best of habits, IMHO.

2 minutes ago, ravip said:

I don't know about the legal complexities about that. But, ethically its wrong. For the finder, it might be a 'lottery' or easy money. If you think a bit, imagine the state of the loser... sometimes, that would have been his/her life's savings which was needed for some urgent matter (sickness?). Losing a tidy sum of your hard earned wealth, if a dreadful feeling.

Anyway, taking advantage of another's folly, is not the best of habits, IMHO.

You cannot legally find things .

Taking money which isn't yours is theft .

They took money which doesn't belong to them .

No different to taking money from a till 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ravip said:

I don't know about the legal complexities about that.

The complexities are simple...finding it is not a crime, keeping it is the crime.

• Agree 1

On 6/13/2024 at 5:59 AM, thesetat2013 said:

The only way the bank could help would be if the people who took the money from the machine actually used an ATM debit card there. How could the bank help without some identifier telling them who it is or a worker there that knew the couple?

I once walked away from an ATM leaving my phone on the machine. The bank reviewed transactions there at the time and informed the police which customer used the ATM after me. I was told they only keep video footage for a week from their cameras.  

Also, the man failed to confirm the deposit. How does anyone know if he actually put 30k in the machine? So why would the bank offer to give him the money? 

Is it really a crime to find money sitting in an ATM machine? What person would not take it if you saw it sitting there? True a police report for theft could be made. But to get the police to actually find and prosecute someone is a different story. 

Re your comment regarding is finding the money a crime, I don't if it is in Thailand but in Australia there used to be an offence of "theft by finding" and I think something similar in the UK. 

I think it's a moral issue as well