Postal Vote. UK General Election Quickest method of returning ballot paper.

I have registered as a postal voter for the forthcoming UK General Election as I'm guessing have many on this forum.

I expect to receive my ballot paper in the next few days. I'll return it in the same day as receipt but what is the quickest assured way for a letter to be received in the UK from Thailand?

(please no facetious suggestions - pigeon post, take it oneself, what's the point? etc etc}

I sent mine back by snail mail, and I even considered that as 60 baht too much. I took a picture of the envelope with the postal stamp attached as evidence, because sure it will not arrive in time, but that's the least of my worries.

Why they need to send me the ballot papers only 7 days before the election date is a mystery to me.

2 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

I sent mine back by snail mail, and I even considered that as 60 baht too much. I took a picture of the envelope with the postal stamp attached as evidence, because sure it will not arrive in time, but that's the least of my worries.

Why they need to send me the ballot papers only 7 days before the election date is a mystery to me.

Election is on July 4th and I believe ballot papers were sent out from most electoral areas around June 12th so you got yours very quickly.By the way that means the ballot papers were sent out 22 days before the election, not 7.

2 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Election is on July 4th and I believe ballot papers were sent out from most electoral areas around June 12th so you got yours very quickly.By the way that means the ballot papers were sent out 22 days before the election, not 7.

I'm not a Brit, LOL, our election was June 9. BTW I believe that my ballots were sent by the Embassy since it had a Thai postal stamp on it.

Edited by CallumWK

The Official Monster Raving Loony Party is campaigning on the motto "The only wasted vote is one that isn't used".

Their manifesto is:

We are fighting this Election on the basis of CHANGE.. 

LOOSE CHANGE as this is all we’ll have left under a Labour/Conservative Government

The Loony Party will build 5 million new homes, fill up 5 million potholes, employ 80,00 teachers, policemen and NHS staff and reduce taxes to 5%……….yeah right…lol

MP’s will have to sit in stocks during their surgeries, while their constituents throw custard pies at them. This will help them judge their popularity with in the community. Companies would also be encouraged to design new versions of stocks to trade at the Stock Exchange.

RwandaWe will send all MPs who misbehave to Rwanda.

V.A.T….We will get rid of VAT as it adds no value.

Fly Tipping..We will ban all tipping of flys, insects, and zips of any kind..

Immigration..We will replace employees of the Border Force with GP receptionists. This will dramatically reduce the number of people getting in.

Cost of Living…To help with the cost of Living and to raise money for the Treasury we will Convert Numbers 10 and 11 Downing Street into a Hair salon, Which we will call ‘Government CutZ’.

Levelling up….Along with the existing Government policy for levelling up the North with the South, we will provide free Spirit Levels to all.

M.O.T….The MOT is an annual test to ensure that your car is roadworthy. We will introduce a ROT, an annual test to make sure all roads are car worthy.

Elections….After the next General Election, we will introduce a ‘cooling-off period’ of about 3 years in case voters wish to change their minds.

NHS…In an effort to reduce the problems faced by the NHS , it is proposed to reduce pregnancy from nine to seven months.

NHS…We will reduce hospital waiting lists by using a smaller font.

Legal System…To make things fairer we will introduce a Court of Human Lefts.

Foreign Policy…Once in Government, we will replace the Foreign Secretary with a British one!

Stamp Duty….We will abolish stamp duty. Stamps are expensive enough as it is without having to pay any duty on them!

Migration of Nets…..We will reduce net migration by making sure that any nets are secured more firmly to the ground.

NHS…We propose to reduce the alphabet to 23 letters starting with the letters N.H.and S

Greener Cars……Once in Government we promise to have more green cars on our roads. Politicians will have fluorescent green cars so that everyone can see them coming.

Self-Serving….. Anyone using a self-service till in a supermarket will be given a 10% discount off their shopping.

Socially smart….. All Social Media sites will be taken down for one day a week for a “Remember when we used to talk” day.

Please vote MRLP wherever you can.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

I'm not a Brit, LOL, our election was June 9. BTW I believe that my ballots were sent by the Embassy since it had a Thai postal stamp on it.

OK my bad.But interesting the Embassy sent out the ballot papers.Something the Brits could learn from - but of course they won't.

A French friend advises me that his compatriots resident in Thailand can cast votes electronically at the French Embassy in Bangkok.Unlike the Brits no need to mess around with postal and proxy votes (though that's an option for the French as well). However conscientious British voters are there's a good chance our completed ballot paper will be too late to count.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/16/2024 at 5:03 PM, chickenslegs said:

The Official Monster Raving Loony Party is campaigning on the motto "The only wasted vote is one that isn't used".

Their manifesto is:

We are fighting this Election on the basis of CHANGE.. 

LOOSE CHANGE as this is all we’ll have left under a Labour/Conservative Government

The Loony Party will build 5 million new homes, fill up 5 million potholes, employ 80,00 teachers, policemen and NHS staff and reduce taxes to 5%……….yeah right…lol

MP’s will have to sit in stocks during their surgeries, while their constituents throw custard pies at them. This will help them judge their popularity with in the community. Companies would also be encouraged to design new versions of stocks to trade at the Stock Exchange.

RwandaWe will send all MPs who misbehave to Rwanda.

V.A.T….We will get rid of VAT as it adds no value.

Fly Tipping..We will ban all tipping of flys, insects, and zips of any kind..

Immigration..We will replace employees of the Border Force with GP receptionists. This will dramatically reduce the number of people getting in.

Cost of Living…To help with the cost of Living and to raise money for the Treasury we will Convert Numbers 10 and 11 Downing Street into a Hair salon, Which we will call ‘Government CutZ’.

Levelling up….Along with the existing Government policy for levelling up the North with the South, we will provide free Spirit Levels to all.

M.O.T….The MOT is an annual test to ensure that your car is roadworthy. We will introduce a ROT, an annual test to make sure all roads are car worthy.

Elections….After the next General Election, we will introduce a ‘cooling-off period’ of about 3 years in case voters wish to change their minds.

NHS…In an effort to reduce the problems faced by the NHS , it is proposed to reduce pregnancy from nine to seven months.

NHS…We will reduce hospital waiting lists by using a smaller font.

Legal System…To make things fairer we will introduce a Court of Human Lefts.

Foreign Policy…Once in Government, we will replace the Foreign Secretary with a British one!

Stamp Duty….We will abolish stamp duty. Stamps are expensive enough as it is without having to pay any duty on them!

Migration of Nets…..We will reduce net migration by making sure that any nets are secured more firmly to the ground.

NHS…We propose to reduce the alphabet to 23 letters starting with the letters N.H.and S

Greener Cars……Once in Government we promise to have more green cars on our roads. Politicians will have fluorescent green cars so that everyone can see them coming.

Self-Serving….. Anyone using a self-service till in a supermarket will be given a 10% discount off their shopping.

Socially smart….. All Social Media sites will be taken down for one day a week for a “Remember when we used to talk” day.

Please vote MRLP wherever you can.

I'm afraid that I will not support the MRLP until they reinstate their 1980's manifesto commitment to improve the British climate. This was to be achieved by relocating the island of Great Britain geographically to somewhere close to the Canary Isles. 

(The thorny issue of what happens to N.Ireland wasn't made clear).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I was pleasantly surprised to receive my UK postal vote paper today.  I filled it in, and posted it off with a tracking number.  (and that's getting expensive now).  I'll report back when it's signed for.

17 minutes ago, lungbing said:

I was pleasantly surprised to receive my UK postal vote paper today.  I filled it in, and posted it off with a tracking number.  (and that's getting expensive now).  I'll report back when it's signed for.

Interesting, they told me they'd post mines on the 26th

On 6/16/2024 at 10:05 PM, jayboy said:

OK my bad.But interesting the Embassy sent out the ballot papers.Something the Brits could learn from - but of course they won't.

Are you registered with the British Embassy here?