Russian Tourist Drowns Ignoring Warnings at Surin Beach, Phuket

webfact

I don't advocate swimming under a red flag, but I sure understand the temptation.  Especially if I had flown thousands of miles from the tundra back home on my annual 2 week holiday, and the water looked calm (which is misleading under a rip current). 

That's why red flags are inadequate and there should be live human beings, warning people and explaining why that relatively calm looking water is hazardous.  Seems like a reasonable cost of operating a world class tourist beach destination.

We'll never see an autopsy, but it would also be interesting to know if the guy drowned, or if he vapor locked from a bad heart while exerting himself in the water.  At that age, I suspect either scenario is about as likely.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Thai lifeguards, keeping a vigilant eye on the situation

That´s great! Why not stop him from entering, as is was red flags there? 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Reports indicate that Apostolov may not have noticed or chose to ignore the red flags that caution swimmers against entering the water under such hazardous conditions. Lifeguards did not specify whether attempts were made to warn him directly before he entered the sea.

As they kept a "vigilant eye" on the situation, it looks like they just let him go on. Besides that, not see or ignore red flags? Yeah, I can only say red flags are there for a reason. Apostolov choosed to ignore that, which slightly changed his name. Now he is a apostle for others trying to be same stupid.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Soupdragon said:

Automated external defibrillators are relatively cheap and could save lives. Why are they not supplied to the life guards or at least to the ambulances and paramedics ?

Wouldn’t have helped the American swept out to sea.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Why do you presume they have not been supplied?

Lived here a long time and never seen or heard of one being used.

I stand corrected if you know different ?

1 minute ago, Taboo2 said:

I could care less about this man.  He was warned and put the lives of those Thai lifeguards at risk.  Such is life when you ignore warning signs.

Yes, and others want to blame Thai folk...🥴

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

A Russian man tragically drowned on June 16th after swimming in rough seas at Surin Beach in Phuket, defying a red flag warning signalling dangerous conditions.

Just can't help some people....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Soupdragon said:

In quite a few places they're present. E g. Outside the small big c at rawai beach 

Some time ago I checked, but must admit I didn't check recently.

Edited by stevenl

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

Why couldn't they just go out and stop him before he was in peril? Fine him.

Are you serious?

The life guards have zero authority to stop someone going into the water, never mind fining anyone.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Soupdragon said:

There was a recent case of a first responder at the scene of an accident (motorbike?) and his AED failed to work.

However manual resuscitation revived her and they shipped her off to hospital.

He saved her life.

Sorry, cannot remember if it was printed here or in the BP.

1 minute ago, Tropicalevo said:

Are you serious?

The life guards have zero authority to stop someone going into the water, never mind fining anyone.

Are you serious?

They can be given such authority when life is believed in danger. Just like lifeguards can on their own initiative run out to a struggling swimmer to pull him into shore without his permission.

Have seen a few ambulances in pattaya area recently, carrying and using, automatic chest compression machines, which are designed to help achieve and maintain, the circulation of blood/oxygen circulating to the critical organs.

IMG_3339.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Taboo2 said:

I could care less about this man.  He was warned and put the lives of those Thai lifeguards at risk.  Such is life when you ignore warning signs.

agree ....  If one chooses to ignore safety rules and regs'  then don't expect rescue personnel to come rushing ....  your putting sensible lives at risk because of your stupidity.  

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Why couldn't they just go out and stop him before he was in peril? Fine him.

It would be an option, but in that case I guess they will have to change the law. Today it´s a warning sign with no attachment to the law. Just a recommendation. What I was thinking, was that a lifeguard should have so much common sense so they actually try to stop or hinder a person. They are there to help. Not to pick up dead bodies from water. 🙂 

6 hours ago, impulse said:

I don't advocate swimming under a red flag, but I sure understand the temptation.  Especially if I had flown thousands of miles from the tundra back home on my annual 2 week holiday, and the water looked calm (which is misleading under a rip current). 

That's why red flags are inadequate and there should be live human beings, warning people and explaining why that relatively calm looking water is hazardous.  Seems like a reasonable cost of operating a world class tourist beach destination.

We'll never see an autopsy, but it would also be interesting to know if the guy drowned, or if he vapor locked from a bad heart while exerting himself in the water.  At that age, I suspect either scenario is about as likely.

swimming between the flags works well in other countries, people need to educate themselves and use their common sense.

8 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

There is no government funded ambulances in Thailand. They are local volunteer rescuers and are self funded from donations. Or local hospitals.

i just paid for an alternator for a volunteer ambulance. The staff go down to the local temple who give them food that was donated to the monks in the morning.

i am sure if you would like to buy automated external defibrillators for them it would be very welcome. Since they are relatively cheap and all.

Cost AED is around US$1500 to 2500. Not relatively cheap at all. 

10 hours ago, Hakuna Matata said:

R.I.P.

Having said this, way too many Russians now in Thailand, especially in Phuket and Pattaya.

And 90% of them are not tourists! Mostly rogue people! Buying illegal ED visas to stay in Thailand for years and being involved in all kinds of illegal activities..

Stop Visa Free Entry for Citizens of Russia, Kazakhsatan, China, etc.jpg

Everyday another news with either some badly behaving russian, criminal russian, accident causing russian, rules and regulations ignoring russian, drowning russian ...

• Agree 1