Thaksin appears in Criminal Court to face formal lese majeste charges

webfact

4 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Thai justice.... many demonstrators are bail denied and remain in prison, but the culprit with high ranked friends is bail granted... Shame shame shame... but again how corrupt is the whole system.. Free all other now on bail

It is easy to look at this and say "Oh the Thai Justice system" but let's face it. This is exactly the same in every developed country in the world too. White collar criminals crimes generally affect hundreds if not millions of people some times, often ruining lives and families. Blue collar criminals crimes typically have very few victims sometimes no victims at all ie. marijuana or other petty crimes, yet these poor people or many times given the harshest penalties allowed while the whitee collar criminals get a fine or are never held accountable at all. Two tiered just system for sure but not when it is a rich priveleged "see you next tuesday" being charged. If they do get charged then they all contract the same elite accountability illness and end up with house arrest at best. It is truly time for a revolution against these elites on a global scale.

3 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

I doubt also that they confiscated his passports as well. 

Am curious what type of court issues bail on someone proven to be a runner for other charges when let out on bail? One would think that act in itself would be the denying factor. 

I think in the West it would be denied as he is known to be a "flight risk", but hey, T.I.T. and we all knew most of us had an inkling  🤣 what was likely to happen here - especially as he was reportedly "unperturbed" about his impending court case!

2 hours ago, Grumpy one said:

It appears he is becoming a back door man.

Practising for prison showers ??  :whistling:

That is the most unlikely thing to happen that I've heard today - on a par with the one about pigs flying!

I think it is more likely that he is practising the tried and trusted route of "media avoidance routine"! 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The lese majeste charge against Thaksin stems from a 2015 interview with a South Korean newspaper, during which he accused privy councillors of endorsing the 2014 coup that deposed the government of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra. The indictment raises the stakes in Thaksin's complex legal and political journey, drawing significant public and media attention.

Ah, I hadn't realised it was the Privy Council he had commented on.

So, charged with making negative comments on the Privy Council, in a foreign country, 9 years ago!

Quite a stretch, even for this particular law and court!

2 hours ago, john donson said:

that poor girl died in prison for the same reason... good to be above the law, right

Yes I feel sorry for anybody connected to her family and friends 

On 6/18/2024 at 2:57 PM, herfiehandbag said:

Ah, I hadn't realised it was the Privy Council he had commented on.

So, charged with making negative comments on the Privy Council, in a foreign country, 9 years ago!

Quite a stretch, even for this particular law and court!

It was about someone in particular, whose relations with the coup makers are well-known. As this person was not in really good terms with someone currently very influential, I doubt anything would happen to Thaksin.

It's possibly just a way to remind him who's the boss.