Thailand's Tourism Faces 'Zero-Dollar' Tour Crisis

webfact

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

...Why don't they offer these kinds of tours to people from the UK?

bob.

Do you mean European OTA's? or the Chinese ones? My daughter booked through TUI last year, doesn't seem much demand for package tours here, people seem to make their own way here, thinking the can get cheap accommodation when they get here, 

Edited by ChipButty
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

But, didn´t they make zero-dollar tours illegal many years ago. Tell the police to do their work!

Like that's going to happen! The only time that that is likely to happen is when the production of brown envelopes dries up.

That's it  - brainwave- if they stopped production of brown envelopes that would probably reduce corruption by 50%! Now whereabouts is the Patents Office in Thailand?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, sambum said:

That's it  - brainwave- if they stopped production of brown envelopes that would probably reduce corruption by 50%! Now whereabouts is the Patents Office in Thailand?

Not really. Wasn't someone caught at security smuggling in a large sum of money in a sandwich box on his way to see a judge? Sure they cost more than an envelope and that increases the overheads, but they could always ask for it back after the contents have been examined so that it can be re-used again. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand is grappling with a surge in so-called “zero-dollar” tours that are wreaking havoc on the tourism sector. These tours, notorious for their rock-bottom prices or free offers, primarily target tourists from China, Russia, and India, leaving local Thai operators struggling to compete.

Wait a minute, didn't we hear the same story about 6 years ago?

But yes they had the solution at that time, in confiscating what I think was ~1500 buses from the company that did the travelling, and a few weeks later the nephew of the then prime minister started a company that did exactly the same.

The court case took several years to conclude, and no evidence of the claims was found, so the by then useless buses were returned to the by then bankrupt owner.

I'm sure a Wai and an apology was offered for destroying a business

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Where do the coach operators buy the coach fuel ?     Where do they purchase accommodation ?  Where do they purchase the entry tickets to various tourist attractions ?  etc., etc.       Surely, there is considerable 'local'  expenditure.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

Similar to the European holiday trend "All Inclusive" – many people likes that kind of no financial worries vacation...👍

Not the same by far.

All-inclusive holidays the hotel in the holiday country receives the money, and no forced visits to factories owned by foreigners are included

1 hour ago, sambum said:

Like that's going to happen! The only time that that is likely to happen is when the production of brown envelopes dries up.

Nah, they don´t care about the colors, as long as the content is the same. Have to totally stop production of envelopes. 😉 

6 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

But, didn´t they make zero-dollar tours illegal many years ago. Tell the police to do their work!

I've said it before and I will say it again: any and all news related to China/Chinese is BAD NEWS.

• Agree 1

My understanding of the concept is a fixed price for air, hotel, and tours.   And the hotels and restaurants are legitimately owned by the host country expats.   Maybe they use thai tour guides?   Thai's must hate this but it seems legit to me.  

To compete they need to offer better packages.   No sympathy from me. 

Edited by Elkski

19 minutes ago, Nabby said:

I've said it before and I will say it again: any and all news related to China/Chinese is BAD NEWS.

I am mostly with you on the point. Nothing much good comes from the country or it´s population.

3 hours ago, supersomchai said:

So in the end of the day all you get

is endless tour bus traffic jams.

Amazing Thailand ☹️

Tour buses have taken over the Wongamat area I counted 20 buses parked over night in 2 different sois. Red and white striped curbs and unbroken double lines are simply ignored. I see them every morning when I start my daily walk at 6 am.

Edited by Mason45
typo
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, bob smith said:

...Why don't they offer these kinds of tours to people from the UK?

bob.

They do, Tui has some very cheap all inclusive tours to Thailand staying in quite nice hotels albeit ones that are out of the way, so you're stuck on a nice beach in the middle of nowhere. An island tour thrown in or a trip to Krabi.  I have a neighbor who used to go every year for years with his wife and come back dark brown tan and happy with the sunshine and food they liked. Or like the Club Med on Kata beach that used to be jam packed with French tourists when I lived across the road.They hardly left the club except one or two island tours. They have everything they want inside the club, bars, shows, shops, games, kids corner where you can dump them off for the day, perfect for families if that sort of holiday floats your boat. Club Med is the high class of cheap tours. Important is having a nice beach and palm trees. 

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

Nah, they don´t care about the colors, as long as the content is the same. Have to totally stop production of envelopes. 😉 

Nah, if it was  a different colour envelope they might think it was a begging letter! 🙂 

9 minutes ago, Mason45 said:

Tour buses have taken over the Wongamat area I counted 20 buses parked over night in 2 different sois. Red and white striped curbs and unbroken double lines are simply ignored. I see them every morning when I start my daily walk at 6 am.

Of course the drivers being Thais throw the plastic bags and foam food containers  out of the window after they've eaten and leave the area in a real mess.

7 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

If only there was a police force in Thailand. Currently we only have a paramilitary organization of questionable motives.

• Agree 2

Just now, geisha said:

They do, Tui has some very cheap all inclusive tours to Thailand staying in quite nice hotels albeit ones that are out of the way, so you're stuck on a nice beach in the middle of nowhere. An island tour thrown in or a trip to Krabi.  I have a neighbor who used to go every year for years with his wife and come back dark brown tan and happy with the sunshine and food they liked. Or like the Club Med on Kata beach that used to be jam packed with French tourists when I lived across the road.They hardly left the club except one or two island tours. They have everything they want inside the club, bars, shows, shops, games, kids corner where you can dump them off for the day, perfect for families if that sort of holiday floats your boat. Club Med is the high class of cheap tours. Important is having a nice beach and palm trees. 

...all that for Zero Dollars?

bob.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

These predatory practices aim to dominate market share by eliminating legitimate competition.

I wonder what the Thai word for irony is or if it even exists!?

Thailand's laws eliminate so much competition from foreigners!