Bangkok monk faces backlash for flaunting lavish lifestyle

webfact

I would guess that there is no doubt that his extended family live quite well too. Maybe no high-end bracelets or phones but decent digs with lots of food on the table. What a great gig !

No, I'm not jealous, just appalled.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

A prominent Facebook page shared a post featuring a well-known Bangkok monk flaunting a luxurious lifestyle, using two high-end mobile phones and purchasing a diamond bracelet worth 185,000 baht. Just another day and another story of a monk in Thailand subverting the simple Buddhist teachings of discipline, simplicity, and mindfulness.

Sticky fingers in the donation box.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, loong said:

As far as I know, monks do not receive personal donations. They are not supposed to handle money at all, and donations are for the temple, not the monk. He should be investigated to find out how he is so wealthy.

the wife was saying something about this the other week - apparently they shouldn’t have the money to spend now, but should someone give them money, for example if they gave good advice, to make merit directly to the monk or the correct lottery numbers then they can amass that for a time when they leave the clergy. Seems a bit skewed to me, religion is a business in a lot of places in the world. 

Edited by recom273
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, scorecard said:

Several years back here was a news spread about a monk who had several hi luxury cars, a luxury house with several bedrooms and full kitchen several paid staff including a professional chef, plus every room air conditioned and air-con on 24/7 every room. All paid for by 'donations'. Plus a couple of luxury holidays in Europe every year, flying business class. on arrival at the hotel in arrival city monks robes packed away, civies for the whole time of the holiday.  

And he hd a monk buddy who owned his own private jet.

yeah and then he fled to the US because Thailand was investigating his wealth. I do not think he has been able to return to Thailand yet. 

• Thumbs Up 2

It's not a matter of privacy and personal choice. It's a matter of "where did he get the money". He's the temple secretary, so did he embezzle the funds, or were they personal gifts from well-wishers who made money from the monk's advice or superstitious predictions. I know someone who got a lucky number from a monk, and this guy told the monk he would give him 10% of the take if he won in the lottery. He won 16,000 Baht and felt honor bound to keep his commitment to the monk. The entire religious system is flawed and perverted!

• Agree 2

Just now, fittobethaied said:

It's not a matter of privacy and personal choice. It's a matter of "where did he get the money". He's the temple secretary, so did he embezzle the funds, or were they personal gifts from well-wishers who made money from the monk's advice or superstitious predictions. I know someone who got a lucky number from a monk, and this guy told the monk he would give him 10% of the take if he won in the lottery. He won 16,000 Baht and felt honor bound to keep his commitment to the monk. The entire religious system is flawed and perverted!

Re your third sentence. Is " secretary" like secretary treasurer? I think so. He looks after the treasure (one for me, one for the temple, one for the boss, another one for me).