Global Heat and Climate Extremes Endanger Billions

Social Media

On 6/25/2024 at 11:16 AM, JCauto said:

1. Haven't figured out how to do it and can't be arsed.

2. I think it demonstrates an understanding of statistics. 

3. If that's your level of intellectual understanding, then you're not worth debating. However it's obvious that it's not, you're just trolling. Yawn. I described my work, that means I read quite a lot of studies relating to climate change, forestry and other relevant issues. To pretend one could read the entire corpus of climate change research is an absurdity as you're fully aware. Your point was a dumb one.

4. Which study? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_consensus_on_climate_change Tell me which of the references you are talking about and I'll respond.

5. I know many who believe otherwise, they post about it on ASEAN Now every time there's a climate thread. This is just disingenuous. Why don't you argue your points with facts? It's so easy to disprove this, it's not even worth the clicks. Check this thread for instance.
6. Just go to the source.  https://www.ipcc.ch/sr15/

7. By no means do I take an article at face value. I explained to you already that I'm an engineer and data scientist. Why do you keep trying to mischaracterize what I say and do?

Are you trained in engineering or science, or are you self-taught? Did you work as a scientist or technical person in those fields?

Honest question for you here. Many years ago there were very few rubber plantations in the northeast in Thailand, but that started changing in the late seventies and eighties, until by 2015 the number of plantations in this area had increased considerably. They were not only replacing existing forests, but also barren land and agricultural land. Has this had a positive impact on the local climate? Certainly had a severe impact on mosquito infestation, but that is a separate issue.  

4 hours ago, GanDoonToonPet said:

Speed fluctuations have been going on for eons so why not drive your car everywhere at 200 mph?

Somewhat strange comparison. Most cars won't drive that fast.

Species have been evolving and becoming extinct on planet Earth since life became possible, so what makes anyone think humans are too special to go the way of the Dodo?

I imagine the dinosaurs were not happy about a dirty great rock from outer space landing in their backyard either, but that's how life is on planet Earth, brutal and not particularly long, in a cosmic sense. 50,000 years is just a mere blink in cosmic time.

The difference between us and the dinosaurs is that the dinosaurs didn't cause their own demise.

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Apparently, there is a real risk that if the Greenland ice cap melts the current will reverse or something like that. It's been in the news for quite some time.

From what I have seen so far, it is very few models showing any greater change in the Golf stream, and what to expect, is warmer climate, before it again will turn colder, so? 

We have to live and see, and in meantime, it doesnt hurt having a base two places in the world? 

Science shows some possible future effects, but still nothing is 100% before it actually happens. Thats how science works in practice

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The difference between us and the dinosaurs is that the dinosaurs didn't cause their own demise.

Any specie that becomes dominant create some enviromental impact? To many dinosours, could possible create a dissaster and by coincidence simultanius happenings with vulcanic eruptions, a few metorits and comets hitting earth? 😄

• Confused 1

On 6/24/2024 at 12:19 AM, Yellowtail said:

ANBugs.jpeg.667be9a5747b5602553ee5419c48239a.jpeg

I'm not a huge fan of individual car ownership simply because there are too many people and too many cars everywhere.

Cities are giant parking lots with all these cars everywhere.

Climate change hoax or not notwithstanding. 

I'm looking forward to robo-taxis where we can hail a robo taxi cheaply.

And once car ownership declines, hopefully the cities will be greener and parking lots are replaced with mini lush forested parks. 

And more walkable and cyclable streets without cars everywhere. 

Edited by save the frogs

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes, it's very unpopulated, and the bush is full of wildlife to eat, but while waiting for our world to end, you better have loadsacash if wanting a decent place to live in.

You expect world to end tomorow? 

Most likely not in your time, or my time, so just buy a old cabin, start fixing, picking, hunting, fishing, preserve and storing, 

6 minutes ago, Hummin said:

You expect world to end tomorow? 

Most likely not in your time, or my time, so just buy a old cabin, start fixing, picking, hunting, fishing, preserve and storing, 

they give old cabins with land away for free almost most places I know, or try in Italy or Portugal, 

Edited by Hummin

6 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Future doesn't look good. Record breaking pollution in Asia and people say oh well. You'd think when it affects peoples health directly on that day people might stand up. But no. So what hope for people standing up about the temperature increasing  slowly over time. Oh well. 

Cities in Europe 100 years ago? More polluted than now, so Asia will fix the problem faster than we managed our selves. I hope

• Like 1

To understand the science behind global warming and climate change requires comprehension of the laws of thermodynamics. Global warming is the Second Law in operation, climate change is the First Law.

About 1% of the world's population on average has tertiary training in science, even fewer have a grounding in thermodynamics. It's hard science.

I'd say at a guess the number of politicians who have any scientific training is vanishingly small. Training in law, business and economics is their forte, and that's not the skill set needed.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

To understand the science behind global warming and climate change requires comprehension of the laws of thermodynamics. Global warming is the Second Law in operation, climate change is the First Law.

About 1% of the world's population on average has tertiary training in science, even fewer have a grounding in thermodynamics. It's hard science.

I'd say at a guess the number of politicians who have any scientific training is vanishingly small. Training in law, business and economics is their forte, and that's not the skill set needed.

For the past 60 years I haven't noticed the world getting any hotter, forgive me for being sceptical about future predictions of doom.

COVID same

Sea level rises same

Ozone layer same

Peak oil same

Over population same

Famine same

Drinking water same

Edited by BritManToo

We should all give all our money to the government, paint Stonehenge orange, glue ourselves to a superhighway and then MAID (Medical Assistance In Dying) ourselves in order to eliminate our individual carbon footprints and therefore saving the planet. 

Feel free to go first!  Klaus Schwab and I will applaud you!  :clap2:

Edited by connda

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

For the past 60 years I haven't noticed the world getting any hotter, forgive me for being sceptical about future predictions of doom.

COVID same

Sea level rises same

Ozone layer same

Peak oil same

Over population same

Famine same

Drinking water same

You gotta get out more.

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

COVID same

Sea level rises same

Ozone layer same

Peak oil same

Yep, the polar ice caps are melting for sure.  God help the Obama's Martha Vineyard properties - they'll be underwater any time now!  Oh!  Looky there - water is lapping the Statue Of Liberty's toes in 2018!

New-York-Then-And-Now-17-26201970.jpg

• Love It 1

4 minutes ago, connda said:

Yep, the polar ice caps are melting for sure.  God help the Obama's Martha Vineyard properties - they'll be underwater any time now!  Oh!  Looky there - water is lapping the Statue Of Liberty's toes in 2018!

New-York-Then-And-Now-17-26201970.jpg

It's a good thing that there are no such things as tides otherwise your evidence would be worthless.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Somewhat strange comparison. Most cars won't drive that fast.

The top speed of most cars wasn't really my point. It's called an analogy.

Nobody is arguing that global temperatures haven't changed 'in eons' It's the rate of change (increase) that's unprecedented, just like the rate of increase in speed of cars 🙂

Also bear in mind that the difference in maximum and minimum temperatures during the 'ice age' is about 6C so an increase of 1.5C is quite substantial.

Edited by GanDoonToonPet

2 minutes ago, GanDoonToonPet said:

The top speed of most cars wasn't really my point. It's called an analogy.

Nobody is arguing that global temperates haven't changed 'in eons' It's the rate of change (increase) that's unprecedented, just like the rate of increase in speed of cars 🙂

Also bear in mind that the difference in maximum and minimum temperatures during the 'ice age' is about 6C so an increase of 1.5C is quite substantial.

Absolutely senseless and incoherent analogy. Go read a book.

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

COVID same

Sea level rises same

Ozone layer same

Peak oil same

Over population same

Famine same

Drinking water same

The ozone layer is the same because the Montreal Protocol of 1987 banned the production of ozone-depleting chlorofluorocarbons, and most countries signed up to make it stick. Without that, most people with white skins would be flooding melanoma clinics.

I don't bother debating people anymore on the existence of global heat and climate extremes. The facts are there, it's a waste of my time.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Your lot can blather away about sequestering carbon and such like as much as you like, but while the world's population is on a vertical graph line increase, it's a lost cause.

i sequester more carbon than most blabbling on in this thread. so what ? consume consume consume......but hey this tax will surely fix this issue. smh.