Thaksin Plans Electoral Changes to Counter Move Forward's Rise

webfact

23 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Quite astonishing to see someone who was once a firm populist, and whose followers tout democracy, to come to this.

Thaksin himself, when in power, did not tout democracy.
To quote him (from memory):
"Democracy is like a Rolls-Royce.  The Thai people do not need a Rolls-Royce.  They need a utility vehicle."

So, in this respect, he is consistent.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

He was given permission from a higher authority for that debacle.

My recollection is that Thaksin called off the killing spree after being rebuked by higher authority.  That much was made publicly known by either 'The Nation' or 'The Bangkok Post'.

8 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

If he doesn't watch out..... a black van, a belly full of cement, and a river bottom might be his next stop.

Not a chance that would make him a Martyr.  They will try to find charges and start to not give him all the goodies when he goes to jail.

17 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

Charges would be brought against the MFP candidate  for something fake that hints at violating the election rules and the seat for presidency would be given to the 2nd place PTP candidate. Same as what happened before

I'm confused, who's running the country? 

13 hours ago, John Drake said:

There is not going to be a civil war in Thailand. This is white man's old age fantasy.

Please read my post, and tell me where I say Civil War? I do believe I used the noun "Disturbance". A far cry from civil war.

2 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Please read my post, and tell me where I say Civil War? I do believe I used the noun "Disturbance". A far cry from civil war.

The very first sentence of your reply to lordgrinz was "That is my fear also." And what lordgrinz had said was "Inching closer to a Civil War, to tell you the truth, I think it's inevitable......but needed."

1 minute ago, John Drake said:

The very first sentence of your reply to lordgrinz was "That is my fear also." And what lordgrinz had said was "Inching closer to a Civil War, to tell you the truth, I think it's inevitable......but needed."

Thanks John, you are indeed correct, an oversight on my part. I apologise for the ambiguity.:thumbsup:

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Thanks John, you are indeed correct, an oversight on my part. I apologise for the ambiguity.:thumbsup:

I probably should have replied to lordgrinz directly, as he is the one who brought up the subject. But I had already scrolled past him and got lazy.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, gargamon said:

Nonsense. Trump lost the popular vote by millions and was still elected in 2016 due to the electoral college. Last time a republican won the popular vote was? Maybe Reagan.

Reagan received 58.8% to Mondale's 40.6%.

Which is about ingenious as it was for Hillary who lost the electoral vote. Unless a state requires its electoral votes to be divided pro rate according to the popular vote, a state can use "winner take all" determined by a simple majority.

Beyond a 51% majority vote in a state, the latter does not give credit to a landslide popular vote in the state in terms of electoral votes. For a small population state like Rhode Island it wouldn't matter but for a large population state like California, it would matter. As such where the popular vote exceeds 51% in a state, "landslide" votes in effect don't count.

So under certain conditions Reagan might have lost or at least won by only a more narrow margin.

In the past I've argued (aside from elimination of electoral college) within the electoral college that winner takes all in a state be eliminated with a pro rata application or that additional electoral votes be assigned beyond 51% in a state. That might not require an amendment to the US constitution.

Note that while disparaged by POTUS Trump, national voting in Venezuela might be more democratic than the US. The Venezuelan President (Head of State) is chosen by national popular vote while the the Presiding Officer (speaker aka President) of the National Assembly is chosen by majority elected party members of the NA.

• Sad 1

On 6/24/2024 at 5:53 AM, jippytum said:

How can this man propose election changes when he is on parole, on bail and banned from politics. 

Agree I wish all these 'reporters' would ask him how can you do that ? your not even part of the government. But they are all cowards to ask obvious questions.