Richard Burrows, Phuket's 'Peter Smith', faces 30 more charges

webfact

1 hour ago, Jenkins9039 said:

Makes you wonder why he went back home - I should note i've personally conversed with the guy around Chalong Yacht Club a decade ago, I understand he has cancer, but with his age and survivability its somewhat surprising the nonce decided to opt to return to the UK, when he could have just swanned around Cambodia etc till he croaked.

In addition, why didn't the UK seek extradition when it was obvious they were giving a passport (second) to a different person than the kids father that was assaulted all those years ago (stolen ID relates to that).

Lastly why on earth didn't Thailand just indict him themselves, since this has come to light his 'social media' looked at in a different light begs the question on whether he assaulted Thai(s) -> Very likely.

In addition lastly, there was quite a close knit group of expats around him personal life and commercial life -> how the <deleted> did they miss the signs.

part of the same team possibly

1 hour ago, Hakuna Matata said:

Oh, my God! What a disgrace for Thailand as it remains a safe heaven for fugitives and criminals from all over the world including United States and United Kingdom!

Stricter visa rules are required!

Why Thailand shame on UK for not tracking there citizen for the crimes he commited there.If the UK could not track this guy you expect Thailand to do there dirty work.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

No, they will keep him isolated with others of his kind. Besides that he will get access to TV, and modern facilities as well as pretty good food. 

Er, it must be a while since you saw the inside of a British prison. 14 years of Tory cuts have left their mark there as well. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-68283664

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

Shoddy reporting.  There is no longer an offence of "buggery" in English law. 

I'm not going to specifically check English Law, but the Canadian courts faced the identical issue, and allowed historical offences to be charged using the buggery law: 

'...historical sexual offences, such as section 159's predecessors, gross indecency and buggery, can still be used in historical cases, as long as the conduct amounted to sexual assault or child sexual abuse.' [link]

If it relates to new charges laid, then that could well be shoddy journalism. As an ex-lawyer I know that journalists are almost always wrong on the legal procedures and issues of cases, so I struggle to get stressed over these things. It's complex.

1 hour ago, alanrchase said:

No statute of limitations in the UK for serious sex offences. 

In addition, I believe that you will find that any statute of limitations runs from the time when you have known, or ought to have known, about the offence. My reading of the new charges is that they have only recently become known to the police.

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Good for him. Now his last years in retirement is going to be great. However, I am sad he is arrested in the UK, as he probably done the same in Thailand. Would have been more appropriate with a Thai jail for his remaining years.

couldn't upvote this enough, at his age he will probably be in a prison hospital either straight away or within a day, can't see it being any worse than end of life care home for the see you next tuesday

45 minutes ago, Frankie baby said:

spanning Cheshire, the West Midlands, and West Mercia. 

Wow, West Mercia. Mercia was the name for most of England back when the Romans & Danes ruled.

Never herd it called that outside of a history book. This scribe is on the ball with his history.

Maybe it is you who is out of date!

"West Mercia Police, formerly the West Mercia Constabulary, is the territorial police force responsible for policing the counties of Herefordshire, Shropshire and Worcestershire in England."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

How could have stayed in Thailand for almost 30 years on a fake passport ? Renewed passport each 10 years ?  UK home office got a lot to answer.

I asked the same question initially, I believe in one of the reports, he stole the passport way before biometrics from a victims father (I may be misremembering this) then renewed it, unless you actually travel, which was a luxury for most back then, there's a very good chance the guy never noticed it was missing and didn't ever report it. 

2 hours ago, Hakuna Matata said:

Oh, my God! What a disgrace for Thailand as it remains a safe heaven for fugitives and criminals from all over the world including United States and United Kingdom!

Stricter visa rules are required!

The disgrace is for the UK, they renewed his passport several times in those 27 years,...

2 hours ago, Jackbenimble said:

why are they bringing even more out of date charges against him? I would likehim to rot in jail but there is a stature of limitation here and he is well outside of it.

They will need something more recent or a Lawyer will have him out in no time and the CPS could find themselves on the wrong end of a Law suit themselves. 

It might even be what he was banking on seeing how litigious Britain has become. 

What? Are you seriously asking this, he's been on the run, do you think this would apply? Also, the serious nature of the crimes would not be covered in this case see Barry Bennall the former Crewe Alexander football coach who was imprisoned in 2018 (charged in 2016) for crimes between 1979 and 1991

2 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

Makes you wonder why he went back home - I should note i've personally conversed with the guy around Chalong Yacht Club a decade ago, I understand he has cancer, but with his age and survivability its somewhat surprising the nonce decided to opt to return to the UK, when he could have just swanned around Cambodia etc till he croaked.

In addition, why didn't the UK seek extradition when it was obvious they were giving a passport (second) to a different person than the kids father that was assaulted all those years ago (stolen ID relates to that).

Lastly why on earth didn't Thailand just indict him themselves, since this has come to light his 'social media' looked at in a different light begs the question on whether he assaulted Thai(s) -> Very likely.

In addition lastly, there was quite a close knit group of expats around him personal life and commercial life -> how the <deleted> did they miss the signs.

Did they miss the signs? Sadly, people can be accused of wrongdoing just by association and tarred with the same brush. Or 'birds of a feather?' It must be very embarrassing for his acquaintances and friends who knew nothing about his sordid past.

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Good for him. Now his last years in retirement is going to be great. However, I am sad he is arrested in the UK, as he probably done the same in Thailand. Would have been more appropriate with a Thai jail for his remaining years.

So you have (personal) experience in Thai and UK jails to compare?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Truth Teller said:

So you have (personal) experience in Thai and UK jails to compare?

On their official website (Gov.co.uk) even the British Government say that conditions in Thai jails can be "harsh", so I think one can assume that life in the UK may be a bit more tolerable for him - especially at that age!

("Honest, guv, I'm a changed man - It all happened so long ago during a depressed period of my life. I was on drugs and couldn't control my emotions"):sorry:

4 hours ago, Jackbenimble said:

why are they bringing even more out of date charges against him? I would likehim to rot in jail but there is a stature of limitation here and he is well outside of it.

They will need something more recent or a Lawyer will have him out in no time and the CPS could find themselves on the wrong end of a Law suit themselves. 

3 hours ago, alanrchase said:

No statute of limitations in the UK for serious sex offences. 

There is no statute of limitations generally speaking in the UK for criminal offences, except for minor or summary offences tried in the lower courts where criminal proceedings must be brought within six months from the time the offence was committed. 

Statute of limitations

Although there is no official statute of limitations for criminal cases in the UK (unlike many other EU countries and America), limitation periods do apply to many aspects of business and consumer litigation, including debt recovery.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

42 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

I imagine he knew  when he returned what would happen.he did wrong in thailand and the uk.now he will pay the price,don,t know what bangkok hilton will be worse  to stay in

This has gone exactly to his plan. He's got away with it,is unwell so will be looked after in the last moments of his life for no charge. The very best time to be in jail when you've done all you can reasonably expect to do and it's not going to last as long as the sentence will be. He's won...