Richard Burrows, Phuket's 'Peter Smith', faces 30 more charges

webfact

5 hours ago, Cabradelmar said:

Strange he would risk traveling to the UK now after almost 30 years successfully hiding out in the LoS... my guess he was evading an inevitable arrest/charges in THA for similar crimes, or he's terminally ill and will be dead soon anyways. 

It was reported previously he has health issues, no cash to pay for them here. Friends persuaded him to return to the UK, not knowing about his previous life. 

He’d had a good run here, might aswell face the music at home, imagine being imprisoned here with the torture of being woken ever 30 mins for a head count here or whatever they do, 100 bodies in one cell with mats on the floor to sleep on, living on a diet of fish heads and rice

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Not to be confused with Richard Barrow.

I write this because when I read the headline, I made that mistake.

Same here ! I had to do some googling when I first saw the story to make sure it wasn't the same person. You can bet a lot of people never bothered to check though.

And yeah, it's common for criminals to suddenly "long for home" when they become ill and have a choice of ending up in a Thai prison (and "gov't healthcare") or a nice air-conditioned facility with a much higher quality of medical care.

Like the former "godfather of Chon Buri" who did a runner after being released from prison on bail (where he'd been sent after being found guilty of arranging the murder of a political rival). He was charged in a land fraud case so that let him apply for bail (Thai law) to fight the charges and - of course - immediately disappeared and didn't reappear until many years later - when he was very sick and needed to go to a (good) hospital.

And the wannabe terrorist Joshua Boyle from Canada. Stages his own kidnapping so he can join the terrorists his former wife had praised so highly. Spent 5 years trying to convince everyone he was being held in Afghanistan when he was actually in a Haqqani safe house in Pakistan.

But when one of the daughters he had while a "captive" got sick - he couldn't take her to a Pakistani hospital so they arranged to be "spotted" by American drones. He needed people to believe he was still a captive so he  wouldn't be arrested and thrown in prison when he returned to Canada. (Not that terrorist-loving Trudeau would have ever considered that of course.) So his terrorist buddies drove him to a drop off point where they had tearful farewells and then he was "rescued" by the Pakistani Army who were sitting there waiting.

And supposedly it's why a certain former PM criminal on the run suddenly decided to return "home". Having "his people" running the gov't certainly made it easier. (Thought you have to wonder because it's not like he couldn't have afforded the best medical care available in the UAE which is probably top notch based on all the "money" in that place. I doubt you'll find too many "doctor's degrees from a back alley medical schools in Delhi" working in Dubai hospitals.)

He sure did make a miraculous recovery once he got home though ! 

You guys are completely missing the point…he’s been free for the last 30 years in thailand - the land of pedi…

He is 80 now sohe will have the comforts of computers and TV in jail…healthcare, food and shelter 

what is disgraceful is UK and thailand could not work together to apprehend him during a 30 year period repeat 30 year period…hard to believe allowing him 30 years of freedom in thailand w/o accountability - failure of 2 governments 

additional 30 charges (who cares?) is like the US making a big deal of one small gun control success when semi auto weapons are owned/carried freely (and bump stocks now allowed) 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Truth Teller said:

So you have (personal) experience in Thai and UK jails to compare?

And you always post such stupid replies, without thinking at all?

Below you have the difference. The image with Alamy over it is UK, and the other Thailand. Do you see how stupid it was now?Prison cell uk hi-res stock photography and images - Alamy

smuggled photos from Bangkok’s Immigration Detention center - Cambodia ...

12 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Not sure why this is on here. All the charges appear to have been made in England.

Are you serious?  This is "forum gold"  its got the lot :-   Elderly Pedo, On the run,Indecent Images Allegations of buggery, 30 years of overstay,, and of course he's English,     Its  irresistible bait for   Van Bangers, Visa Pedants, Brit Haters and those with the remarkably common prison rape fantasies. 

If I was in charge of this forum, and I discovered that this story was not the subject of a thread, somebody would be getting sacked  I am astonished its only got to three pages to be honest

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Frankie baby said:

spanning Cheshire, the West Midlands, and West Mercia. 

Wow, West Mercia. Mercia was the name for most of England back when the Romans & Danes ruled.

Never herd it called that outside of a history book. This scribe is on the ball with his history.

"The scribe" has only cut and pasted the article from the English news papers I wouldn't give him too much credit,  Furthermore West Mercia Police was formed around 1967 and still operates    nothing to do with the Romans 

3 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

If I was in charge of this forum, and I discovered that this story was not the subject of a thread, somebody would be getting sacked  I am astonished its only got to three pages to be honest

Be reminded: the original story is from March/April and covered by a thread here (as I wrote above).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Not to be confused with Richard Barrow.

I write this because when I read the headline, I made that mistake.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmEZ4MRT0oCv8ybR5c7Gp

Absolutely! The moment I saw the name, I too made the same mistake and was wondering how he aged so fast 555.

17 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

There is no statute of limitations generally speaking in the UK for criminal offences, except for minor or summary offences tried in the lower courts where criminal proceedings must be brought within six months from the time the offence was committed. 

Statute of limitations

you're wrong, sorry. Sexual crimes against minors have a statute of limitation.

Edited by Jackbenimble

8 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

It’s a pity he didn’t end up in a Thai prison he most probably decided to return to the UK knowing he could have a cushy life in a UK prison 

nothing cushy about being in a UK prison.  Just ask Boris Becker.......

22 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Call me old-fashioned but pedophiles, rapists and drug dealers - off to the gallows. Rid the society permanently of such creatures while not burdening the tax payer with de facto hotel level imprisonment for life. 

But the do-gooders, tree huggers and the likes are of course opposing this in the interest of a single "lost soul". If it would have happened to my wife, children and grand children, there would be only a court case involving me! 

I knew a guy with the same attitude as you,no nonsense kind of man who said the same thing.

No second chance,kill them!

Until his own child was caught with drugs,

22 hours ago, Frankie baby said:

spanning Cheshire, the West Midlands, and West Mercia. 

Wow, West Mercia. Mercia was the name for most of England back when the Romans & Danes ruled.

Never herd it called that outside of a history book. This scribe is on the ball with his history.

"West Mercia is an area that covers the counties of Herefordshire, Shropshire, and Worcestershire. These areas are made up of picturesque countryside landscapes, vibrant city centres, an array of urban suburbs and historic scenery."

8 hours ago, Jackbenimble said:

you're wrong, sorry. Sexual crimes against minors have a statute of limitation.

Can you provide a source for that? 

I've looked and can't find anything that would support that claim.

On the other hand, I find several sites that specifically say that is not the case. Here's just one example. 

Historic sexual abuse refers to allegations of sexual offences that occurred in the past, often many years or even decades ago. The law does not impose a statute of limitations on such crimes, meaning they can be prosecuted regardless of how much time has passed since the alleged incident.

Navigating Historic Allegations of Sexual Abuse

I think you're getting confused with the time limit on a person making a personal injury claim for sexual abuse, which would be a civil matter, and quite different from a criminal prosecution.

Is there a time limit on bringing a sexual abuse claim?

In cases involving personal injury, including sexual abuse and sexual assault cases, court proceedings must be commenced within 3 years from the 'date of knowledge', or 3 years from the claimant's 18th birthday if they were under 18 at the time of the abuse or assault.

Guide To Personal Injury Court Proceedings

As personal injury claims are matters of civil law, they are dealt with by the civil court system.

On 6/24/2024 at 12:09 PM, bullseye66 said:
On 6/24/2024 at 12:01 PM, Mr Meeseeks said:

He will be worse off in a UK jail as a nonce. 

But he'll be on rule 43. He'll be segregated from normal prisoners and will be on a wing with other sexual offenders. A luxury he wouldn't get in Thailand.

This is where the slang word 'nonce' comes from. In UK jails there used to be category A (dangerous or serious offence prisoners) and category B (less dangerous prisoners). Child sex offenders (pedos and child killers etc) were non-categorised. So prisoners had CAT A, CAT B or NON C stamped on their detention notes. Hence the sex offenders were called non-c's which quickly became nonces.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaggg88 said:

This is where the slang word 'nonce' comes from. In UK jails there used to be category A (dangerous or serious offence prisoners) and category B (less dangerous prisoners). Child sex offenders (pedos and child killers etc) were non-categorised. So prisoners had CAT A, CAT B or NON C stamped on their detention notes. Hence the sex offenders were called non-c's which quickly became nonces.

That seems very plausible, but many sources state that "N.O.N.C.E." is an acronym: Not On Normal Communal Exercise - coined by prisoner officers at HMP Wakefield.

Officially, prisoners are categorised:-

• Category A Prisoners whose escape would be highly dangerous.
  • Category B Prisoners for whom the very highest conditions of.
  • Category C Prisoners who cannot be trusted in open conditions,
  • Category D Prisoners who can be reasonably trusted in open.
  • Category U All remand, awaiting trial or awaiting sentence.

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-7437/CBP-7437.pdf

On 6/25/2024 at 10:43 AM, jvs said:

I knew a guy with the same attitude as you,no nonsense kind of man who said the same thing.

No second chance,kill them!

Until his own child was caught with drugs,

The difference between a drug user and a drug dealer/mule is to be noted. While I would cry to no end if one of my kids would deal with drugs and face the gallows I would eventually understand the society rules to apply for one and all. 

How about losing a child to drugs; would this change the mind of some? It would not change my mind as I am for protecting the civilized majority and spending taxpayer's money on more worthy stuff than keeping pedophiles, rapists and drug dealers/mules locked up for decades ....... 

5 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Caged like animals: Inside Bangkok's notorious IDC

These photographs show the terrible conditions that detainees are forced to endure at the IDC:

IDC1.jpg

https://www.ucanews.com/news/caged-like-animals-inside-bangkoks-notorious-idc/87104

Oki doki, I am wrong. But, it´s exactly same in many thai jails