Older Diesel Cars to Undergo Stricter Inspections to Curb Pollution

webfact

2 hours ago, digbeth said:

my diesel truck pass the annual inspection despite not having a catalytic converter, due to it being clogged up one time, and to replace it with new ones from the dealer costs just too much

new cars standards are stricter than what's required to pass at the annal test centers, so unless they up the standard test for older diesels, most of the trucks will still pass

annal........Oooooppppssss !!

4 hours ago, webfact said:

To tackle this issue, the Pollution Control Department is considering increasing the frequency of mandatory vehicle inspections for these older diesel vehicles from once a year to twice a year.

so is this going into effect, or as our visa stamps, "under consideration"?

Older Diesel Cars to Undergo Stricter Inspections to Curb Pollution

is this title misleading, or not?

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Agree 2

A good idea but with problems, some of which are obvious and just the ways things are done here.

Firstly, and most important is enforcement. I don't think I need to explain that as most of us will be aware of the enforcement problem here. Secondly I would have thought much earlier than 20 years. Ones that are really bad probably won't last that long since a lot of the problems are down to lack of servicing, plus as others have said modifications.

Its only taken them 100 years to finally do something.  In the past 2 days, I have seen 4 diesel trucks, 2 of them quite new, belching black smoke as they gun them.  It infuriates me.  Ban diesel trucks entirely in cities with a population greater than 100,000 and now.

• Sad 1

the ONLY reason i would object is because this puke thai is coming up with all these tax schemes... why not disguise this as a bi-annual inspection where we have to foot the bill? sure seems this is what they are doing. if we paid once, a decent price, that included two inspections i might agree. 

but since puke thai came to power with clown face and the puppet master, it seems everyday i read about new gimmicks to separate us from our hard earned money.

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Agree 1

Last month I sat at a vehicle testing place for an hour waiting for the paperwork for my car to be completed.

I watched many cars and small trucks get processed. None of them had the front brakes or hand brake checked. Some of them appeared to belch dark exhaust and the machine for checking the exhaust noise was broken so none were checked for that. More frequent checks will not fix the problem !

It is not just older diesel trucks, but, modified trucks with bigger bore exhausts etc., as they forget to retune the fuel system so on acceleration they throw way too much-unused fuel into the system, easy to spot from the soot stains on the rear, low profile tyres and lowered suspension. but, asking the highway police to do anything is unlucky as they have their eyes on the prize truckers going about the normal business.

• Sad 1

20 years for checks ? It should be 5 years and a proof of annual service shown in the service book or garage receipt . Failures should be seized and repaired with the invoice and fine for the owner . Or just scrap the vehicle if there are too many faults . 

Some form of control may happen in Bangkok but up here in rural Issan , no chance .

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, tomaway said:

Big trend is to modify pickup trucks like racing cars. I can see so many with the exhaust just purely removed, ECU and turbo modified, plus the big wheels going out of the wings...... the black smoke coming out of these pickup is just insane but..... according to the owners it is so cool!

Once again in the land of smile, if the RTP were doing their job.....  😏

they are good fun.

Cannot wait to grab a dmax, slam it on bags rolling 20's and then let the engine mods begin.

Rollin coal Baby, soot get the Moot.

2 minutes ago, superal said:

20 years for checks ? It should be 5 years and a proof of annual service shown in the service book or garage receipt . Failures should be seized and repaired with the invoice and fine for the owner . Or just scrap the vehicle if there are too many faults . 

Some form of control may happen in Bangkok but up here in rural Issan , no chance .

Its currently every year for vehicle 7 yrs and older.

So they are propsing 2 checks each year for vehicle 20yrs and older.

Rarely do I see 2004 model pickups driving around let alone rollin coal !

FWIW Pickup in 1st post looks to be 2019 Nissan Navara !

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Most of the older HGV would fail.

Guess it will lead to a huge rise in tea money at these local testing stations. 

The fuel is dirty, my Isuzu d max smoked in Thailand but when I exported it to nz, it runs with no smoke very clear and clean, Thai diesel is dirty. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, willr said:

Yes even a lot of later ones,have EGR, delete or DPF, delete to boost their performance and getter better economy also power chips are doing a roaring trade.

Yes, these are the same idiots I see speeding in and out of traffic, only problem is that a pickup truck is very light in the back....making them highly unstable when jerking the wheel side to side like they are in some type of cup car race.....do that in the rain with wide tires? Well, then you have a new news story for Thai rags of a pickup slamming into a multitude of inanimate objects or pedestrians with disastrous results.

Its a joke.

All vehicle and truck testing in Thailand. 

Toothless Tiger.

If the police had any inclination to do the job properly,  apart from tea mony, the standards of road safety and vehicles would improve. 

Helmets 

Lights

Emissions 

Rust

No licence 

No insurance 

No registration 

3 on a bike

Side car attachment with granny sat on a plastic chair.

Carry a baby 👶 and driving with one hand.

Mobile phone use

Seat belts. 

Its endless 😩 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Some of the comments imply the DMax PUs are actually well maintained and tuned to gain performance at the expense of other peoples lungs.

So increasing the frequency of vehicle inspections wil not resolve the issue as the owners are probably well prepaired to de-tune in time for any inspection. 

What might be useful is a 4 digit phone number specifically for reporting the registration number of vehicles betching dark smoke.

Once the system receives 5 reports a summons is raised and a mobile inspection unit pays the owner a surprise visit.

Some of the comments imply the DMax PUs are actually well maintained and tuned to gain performance at the expense of other peoples lungs.

So increasing the frequency of vehicle inspections wil not resolve the issue as the owners are probably well prepaired to de-tune in time for any inspection. 

What might be useful is a 4 digit phone number specifically for reporting the registration number of vehicles betching dark smoke.

Once the system receives 5 reports a summons is raised and a mobile inspection unit pays the owner a surprise visit.

A job for Big Joke I reckon.

A job for Big Joke I reckon.

• Like 1