Taxi Drivers in Pattaya to Lose Jobs Following Gang Attack on Russian Man - video

snoop1130

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

with locals comparing the aggressive tendencies of the taxi riders to that of a mafia gang.

Oh I wonder why that is, surely there is no Mafia gangs run by Thais here. ......:coffee1:

All Transport apart from government buses are run by Mafias, Ferries included.

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't think he deserved to be beaten up.

But he should have expected that to happen.

If he is Russian he deserved it, flipping off 10 Thai,s a typical Rusky response, it is no coincidence since they ran away when there leader started his special military operation Pattaya is suffering , with the tourists returning home saying avoid Thailand to many Russians. They are  magnet for trouble

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

25 minutes ago, Almer said:

If he is Russian he deserved it, flipping off 10 Thai,s a typical Rusky response, it is no coincidence since they ran away when there leader started his special military operation Pattaya is suffering , with the tourists returning home saying avoid Thailand to many Russians. They are  magnet for trouble

Because obviously all Russians are the same. Or maybe not? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

Back in the day (2010's), it was standard practice for business owners or the taxi stand mafia to subject your scooter tyre to instant deflation if you parked in "their" territory. I was a slow learner - after 3 flat tyres in a two week period, I figured it out.

In the places where I go regularly, I "know" many of the riders - at least we recognize each other.

Mostly I am on my own bike. Sometimes there is nowhere else to park and I ask the riders if I can part in their area. Mostly they allow that.

And when I park in "their" parking spot, then I give them a tip. Win/win. All is fine.

35 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In the places where I go regularly, I "know" many of the riders - at least we recognize each other.

Mostly I am on my own bike. Sometimes there is nowhere else to park and I ask the riders if I can part in their area. Mostly they allow that.

And when I park in "their" parking spot, then I give them a tip. Win/win. All is fine.

So you bribe them?

• Confused 1

Russians don't care much about following the rules anywhere they go, not even the taxi mafia rules.   To get rid of the taxi mafia I think is almost impossible, they are protected by the corrupted police.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, G_Money said:

Correct.  I’ll believe them over the Russian.  Any day.

Never had an unprovoked attack by a group of motorbike taxi drivers.  Have you?

Based on what was in the article, there's a possibility that another reason for the attack may have been that as stated therein, "According to the riders, the foreigner had parked near their base ..."

I'm not saying that this is actually what happened but if a group of motorcycle taxi drivers had attacked a foreigner simply for encroaching on their turf and the police were involved it would surely serve their interests to claim, as a mitigating circumstance, that the foreigner had insulted them by using an obscene gesture.

25 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Based on what was in the article, there's a possibility that another reason for the attack may have been that as stated therein, "According to the riders, the foreigner had parked near their base ..."

I'm not saying that this is actually what happened but if a group of motorcycle taxi drivers had attacked a foreigner simply for encroaching on their turf and the police were involved it would surely serve their interests to claim, as a mitigating circumstance, that the foreigner had insulted them by using an obscene gesture.

Based on my experience anyone who has been in Pattaya for any length of time should know better than to park in their unofficial parking zones.  

I got too close to them early on one time and was politely told to park further down.  I complied.  No problem.  No obscene jesters.

IMO, the jester set them off more than the parking.

On 6/25/2024 at 7:43 PM, BangkokReady said:

But you probably know better than to publicly call them out on something.

This is beside the point. Expats know, but tourists don't, and they outnumber expats by a large degree.

You can't have mafia gangs running rife on the streets here. That being said, the bad motorcycle taxi riders are a small percentage, and you can't paint them all with the same brush. There are plenty of hard-working, polite riders out there.

Some people here suggest that Grab, Bolt and Baht Buses are adequate and motorcycle taxis are redundant, but this is not the case. If you want to get somewhere fast from any street, they are the best form of transport. Car/van transports will spend most of their time sitting still in traffic in Pattaya Central. A 5-minute trip on a motorcycle could take an hour in a car. Also, consider that Thai people constitute most of their business.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I can imagine the Russian got angry. Some years ago I was involved in a project that required me to live and work in Russia. I even did a crash-course in Russian, so I can speak a bit of the language.

Anyway, living there was horrible. I soon discovered that when Russians are in control of any powered vehicle their aggressiveness and anger goes off the clock. You have not seen road rage until you've been to Russia.  Many times I saw drivers get out of their car and kick other vehicles and have fist fights in the street. Parking wardens are regularly assaulted. Its a different level of aggressiveness.

On 6/26/2024 at 6:29 AM, thesetat2013 said:

Pattaya should stop all the motorcycle taxis operating. Force them all to take criminal background checks and have special license for driving passengers. They should take full control over rates and services relating to foreigners there. Only then maybe the crime these taxis drivers commit, the overcharging, and the taxi gangs will end. If the city does not take control then they really do not care about tourist and foreigner safety. They should all be working together equally through the city to sponsor them.

& beer should be free.

On 6/26/2024 at 6:29 AM, thesetat2013 said:

Pattaya should stop all the motorcycle taxis operating. Force them all to take criminal background checks and have special license for driving passengers. They should take full control over rates and services relating to foreigners there. Only then maybe the crime these taxis drivers commit, the overcharging, and the taxi gangs will end. If the city does not take control then they really do not care about tourist and foreigner safety. They should all be working together equally through the city to sponsor them.

I think you might take it to an extreme but I agree with your general sentiment.  They are criminals and their criminal behavior should be eradicated.  I was so happy the last time that I visited NYC because there were no taxis.  Lyft and Uber had eradicated the criminal taxi driver population.  They are the most unskilled, uneducated, part of the population who have nothing to offer but the most basic skill of driving, and all they do is exploit that menial skill to rob foreigners, tourists, and the poor who can't afford a car.  

Edited by HalAndLois

On 6/27/2024 at 1:59 PM, HauptmannUK said:

You have not seen road rage until you've been to Russia.

Probably always drunk or hung over! Must admit, many of the YouTube videos of road rage and accidents come from Russia!