Thailand in Top 50 in 2024 Happiness Report

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Chai Watcharong, spokesperson for the Prime Minister’s Office, remarked that Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin is highly attuned to the needs and lifestyles of the younger generation, particularly considering global changes.

PM Srettha has prioritised policies that resonate with the youth, such as the Marriage Equality Bill, passed on June 18, making Thailand the first country in ASEAN and the third in Asia to approve such legislation.

Chai stated that the ranking serves as evidence of the government’s effective leadership under PM Srettha

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The annual World Happiness Report, orchestrated by the United Nations (UN), the University of Oxford, and research firm Gallup, used data from the Gallup World Poll conducted between 2021 and 2022

So this has nothing to do with Srettha?

• Thumbs Up 1

That isn't too great of a surprise, since they mentioned the under 30 years old bit.
Under 30, in Thailand? At 30 they may just be beginning to learn what the word "responsibility" means. In the categories they inquire about - "GDP per capita, social support, healthy life expectancy, freedom to make life choices, generosity, and perceptions of corruption" - I could easily see why 18 to 30 year old Thais would vote with highly favorable ideas on those issues. In countries where young adults are given and expected to bear responsibility and have a reasonable education that gives them an ability to think logically and critically, I'd expect a lower score.
Poll adults over 40 in Thailand and I'd expect the outcome would be quite different. It seems foolish to poll young adults and expect to get a result that matters. If you want to know what countries are enjoyable to live in, how about polling people who know what enjoying life means.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, reflectionx said:

These ranking are ultimate BS. Nordic countries always end up at the top, yet I never heard of anyone moving there to retire. 

Because you are too poor to move there, Just like a bunch of poor Thais would like to move to USA and Canada.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Sig said:

Poll adults over 40 in Thailand and I'd expect the outcome would be quite different. It seems foolish to poll young adults and expect to get a result that matters. If you want to know what countries are enjoyable to live in, how about polling people who know what enjoying life means.

In the over-60 category, Thailand does even better, at #41.

The significance of the report is that the UK seems twice as happy for young and old. Not coincidentally, Brits moving from the UK to Thailand all turn into whinging, miserable gits. Then, after they move back to the paradise of the UK, they're happy again and stop bashing Thailand. The lesson is clear.

• Like 2

I agree. I have traveled all over the world, and the Thai people seem to be among the most content, and the most fulfilled. I do not use the term happiness, as it is vague and useless. They are also lighthearted, and fun to be around. That counts for alot. The Nordic happiness index stuff is absolute nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1