Activist 'Penguin' Absent from Court, Suspected to Have Fled

image.jpeg

Renowned activist and protest leader Mr. Parit Chivarak, widely known as Penguin, has reportedly fled after failing to appear for a court hearing in Bangkok today (June 25). The hearing was crucial, as it was set to deliver a verdict on charges under Thailand's lese majeste law, officially Section 112 of the Criminal Code, and the Computer Crimes Act.

Despite prosecutors and Parit's legal team being present and ready, Penguin was noticeably absent. His lawyer stated that he had no knowledge of Parit's whereabouts and was unable to contact him on the day of the trial. This no-show led the court to issue an immediate arrest warrant for the activist.

Penguin, who has consistently denied the charges, was previously released on bail. The court underscored that he was well-aware of the date and time set for the hearing and offered no valid excuse for his absence. As a result, the court has rescheduled the hearing to 9 a.m. on July 31, 2024, while authorities search for him.

Later in the day, a well-known internet commentator, Jjookklong3, posted on social media platform X, confirming the rumours that Penguin had indeed fled. Jjookklong3 questioned the responsibilities that may fall upon the Thammasat University professor who had vouched for Penguin's bail.

“This is just the first of 25 cases he faces. Why would he not flee?” Jjookklong3 remarked, hinting at the gravity of the activist's legal battle.

Thailand's lese majeste law has long been a contentious issue, criminalising defaming, insulting, or threatening the monarchy with penalties up to 15 years in prison per count. Penguin’s absence at court is likely to fuel further debate over the use and implications of this controversial law.

The news has left authorities scrambling to locate Penguin while stirring a mix of reactions among the public and activists who continue to monitor the unfolding narrative.

Picture courtesy: Thai Rath

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-26

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

"Jjookklong3" - the name you should trust! 

activist Penguin is very active yet cannot fly. only flee

please dig Youtube for his performances - he's not just pathetic, hi is somehow socially challenged.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Jumping over the border to other third World countries will not save him.

There are some thai girl (young woman) who got residence permit in France based on her "political views". In fact - she is another "working girl" in Paris but refugee status makes her "important" (and maybe allows her to markup the price of boom-boom).
To prove her political activity she repost some anti-thai posts on facebook and Instagram.
Cool, yes?

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Ready to let these fxxxers ruin your life?

What about me? Nothing interesting I assure.

Those "activists" have ruined many lives of "useful idiots" who trusted them, followed them and ended up in jail. Our neighbor's grandson is still in prison for rioting led by that fat and ugly woman and this (fat and ugly) Penguin. And there were many broken lives.

Who will help them? Pay bails? Send money and food? No-freaking-body

Our neigbor withdrew all her old savings. Who she should thank then?

11thailand-Students-1-SuperJumbo-V2.Jpg

Edited by NativeBob

4 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

What about me? Nothing interesting I assure.

Those "activists" have ruined many lives of "useful idiots" who trusted them, followed them and ended up in jail. Our neighbor's grandson is still in prison for rioting led by that fat and ugly woman and this (fat and ugly) Penguin. And there were many broken lives.

Who will help them? Pay bails? Send money and food? No-freaking-body

Our neigbor withdrew all her old savings. Who she should thank then?

11thailand-Students-1-SuperJumbo-V2.Jpg

I'm going to have to ask you to back up what you say about casualties from the protest movement. So the poor little darlings were led astray you reckon. Classic authoritarian rhetoric. It was just a few who led them all astray. No way. They were all pixxed off. All in it together. They made their own minds up.

3 hours ago, NativeBob said:

There are some thai girl (young woman) who got residence permit in France based on her "political views". In fact - she is another "working girl" in Paris but refugee status makes her "important" (and maybe allows her to markup the price of boom-boom).
To prove her political activity she repost some anti-thai posts on facebook and Instagram.
Cool, yes?

Liar! I'm outing you as a total bs artist. I don't believe a word of your rubbish. Neighbour's grandson in prison? On what charges?

3 hours ago, Karma80 said:

Good enough for Thai Prime Ministers and politicians to do a runner, good enough for anyone!

Most Thais will do a runner.

Fleeing the scene of a road traffic accident is a national pastime. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Most Thais will do a runner.

Fleeing the scene of a road traffic accident is a national pastime. 

And what would you do faced with a lengthy prison sentence in Klong Prem? Ever been there? Ever visited? My friend did 2 1/2 years in that hell hole. PTSD on release and deportation.