Global Increase in Penile Cancer and Penile Amputation Cases

CharlieH

Penile-Cancer-And-Penile-Amputations-Ris

Recent global health reports indicate a concerning rise in the incidence of penile cancer, a rare but increasingly prevalent disease affecting men. According to researchers from Sun Yat-Sen University in China, the number of penile cancer cases is expected to increase by 77% globally over the next 26 years. This significant uptick has been noted across various regions, with Germany seeing a 50% rise between 1961 and 2012 and the UK experiencing a notable spike in cases. While traditionally more common in developing nations, this increase is now being observed across many European countries as well.

The impact on Brazil and Uganda

Brazil reports one of the highest incidences of penile cancer in the world, only second to Uganda. Over the decade spanning 2012 to 2022, Brazil witnessed 21,000 new cases and 4,000 deaths, with a distressing number of 6,500 men undergoing amputation due to the disease. Health experts in Brazil have linked these high numbers to insufficient HPV vaccination coverage, which remains below the ideal 90% threshold – 57% for girls and just 40% for boys.

Symptoms and early detection

Penile cancer can manifest through various symptoms, including discharge, a change in the colour or skin texture of the penis, and a decrease in sex drive. Early detection plays a crucial role in preventing severe outcomes such as amputation. Men, particularly those in their 60s, are encouraged to seek medical advice if they notice any unusual changes, as early stages of penile cancer are more manageable and often curable.

penile cancerPhoto by charlesdeluvio on Unsplash

Prevention through personal hygiene and safe practices

Many urologist, emphasises the importance of personal hygiene and protected sexual activity in reducing the risk of penile cancer. Factors contributing to higher risk include poor genital hygiene, unprotected sexual intercourse, and not being circumcised. Circumcision, particularly if performed in childhood, has been shown to significantly decrease the risk of developing penile cancer by reducing the chance of infections and other complications that can lead to cancerous changes.

The critical role of HPV and vaccination

Human papillomavirus (HPV) is identified as one of the main risk factors for penile cancer. The virus, which can be transmitted during sexual contact, has different strains, some of which are more likely to lead to cancer if not cleared by the body’s immune system. Vaccination against HPV is highly effective in preventing these high-risk strains. Despite this, vaccination rates in many countries remain low due to misinformation, vaccine hesitancy, and lack of comprehensive vaccination campaigns.

The global scenario

The study published in the journal JMIR Public Health and Surveillance further highlights the growing prevalence of penile cancer worldwide, with the highest rates observed in Uganda (2.2 per 100,000), followed by Brazil (2.1 per 100,000), and Thailand (1.4 per 100,000).

The ageing population is one of the factors contributing to this increase, as penile cancer most frequently affects older men.

Penile cancer
Photo by NASA on Unsplash

Mitigating the disease burden

To counteract the rising trend of penile cancer, it is imperative for global health initiatives to focus on effective prevention strategies. This includes promoting better hygiene, expanding HPV vaccination programs to reach optimal coverage levels, and encouraging safe sexual practices through education and access to protective measures like condoms.

Stories from the frontline

The human side of penile cancer is poignantly illustrated by the story of Martin (not his real name), a British pensioner who has been residing in Pattaya-Thailand for more than a decade and who was just recently diagnosed with the condition. Initially dismissed as a benign issue when he discovered a small wart on his penis, the wart grew and he suffered urination problems and pain. His condition was later diagnosed as penile cancer, leading to partial amputation. Not only is he currently suffering from depression and a variety of psychological issues, but his quality of life has deteriorated as he is constantly in pain coupled with issues of using the restroom etc. Martin’s experience underscores the psychological and physical toll of the disease, highlighting the importance of awareness and early medical intervention.

Enhancing public health strategies

Looking ahead, the Global Cancer Registries predict a significant increase in penile cancer incidences by 2050. This underscores the need for enhanced public health strategies that not only focus on treatment but also on comprehensive preventive measures. Such strategies should include improving genital hygiene, ensuring wider access to HPV vaccines, and promoting safe sexual practices.

While penile cancer remains one of the rarer cancers, its impact is profound, and its incidence is on the rise globally. Addressing this issue requires a multifaceted approach involving improved public health education, better access to preventive measures, and a concerted effort to debunk myths surrounding HPV vaccination. Through these efforts, it is possible to reduce the global burden of penile cancer and improve outcomes for men worldwide, ensuring that future generations face a lower risk of this serious disease.

If you suspect that you might be having penile cancer and want to seek a proper and discreet oncologist and the right medical treatments before it’s too late, contact MyMediTravel, the leading medical concierge with a wide range of options.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, RSD1 said:

More good news. And another post about penises. The topic probably deserves its own sub-forum by now. 😳

If anyone wishes to begin a sub-penis forum....

Then, let's begin by thinking of submarines:

image.png.4e49fd8217554f4736e8b45efe53958f.png

In Japan, the penis is revered, unlike here in Thailand.

Also, the beauty of the submarine, is that the submarine has a torpedo....

Sort of like a penis, plus another penis.

If you are interested in penises, then Japan is the best place to begin looking.....

image.png.d5a985cd3a1459e86c6f6f0178bd0c93.png

image.png.65c0ef4a8c05bf9c57fbd32e9dec7350.png

https://www.tokyoweekender.com/art_and_culture/japanese-culture/japans-genitalia-worship/

Phallicism is not necessarily a bad thing.

There are far worse things to worship, for example, such as gods.

Although, my penis is a demigod, for sure.

If it were ever amputated, such a thing would be heart wrenching for me.

This is why I would never marry here in Thailand.

I have heard too many stories of nocturnal amputations.

After reading these stories, I would never be able to sleep soundly if married to a Thai woman.

Anyway, FORTUNATELY:  image.png.408dbb4112bb9e113d037dd563c5be74.png

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/health-professional/cancer-statistics/statistics-by-cancer-type/penile-cancer#heading-Zero

So, not worried about penile amputation due to cancer.

Only worried about a plethora of or penile amputation causes....

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I cannot imagine a worst fate than losing one's member. I would imagine the effect it could have on a man's self esteem, not to mention his dating life, could be quite dramatic!

Huh? You mentioned you were a bit abnormal, and we had some things we needed to discuss. Really? Baby, I was just getting to like you.

Edited by spidermike007

15 minutes ago, bob smith said:

Does having a large penis affect ones chances of getting penile cancer?

asking for myself.

bob.

No, but men with larger than 6 inches have a much larger chance of erectile dysfunction as they age.  It gets exponentially worse with each inch in length over 6 upon reaching your 60th year.

• Love It 1

4 minutes ago, atpeace said:

No, but men with larger than 6 inches have a much larger chance of erectile dysfunction as they age.  It gets exponentially worse with each inch in length over 6 upon reaching your 60th year.

I'm way above 6 inches and so far so good!

it never goes down..

bob.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I cannot imagine a worst fate than losing one's member.

Yes.

In the original post, it was not called LOSING a member, but amputation of a member.

But, in my mind, I think they actually should have stated:

DeCAPitation.

Decapitation is the word for it, I think.

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

Then there is that crusty stuff that builds up on a non circumcised man, & if not

pulled back & washed properly

must be a starter for cancerous growth. (Just the stink alone).

My parents insisted that us boys got docked at birth to which I am eternally grateful for.

How do you know all this, if you had your foreskin amputated at birth?

Then there is that crusty stuff that builds up on a non circumcised man, & if not

My parents insisted that us boys got docked at birth to which I am eternally grateful for.

This is not a proper dinnertime conversation, IMHO.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I cannot imagine a worst fate than losing one's member. I would imagine the effect it could have on a man's self esteem, not to mention his dating life, could be quite dramatic!

Huh? You mentioned you were a bit abnormal, and we had some things we needed to discuss. Really? Baby, I was just getting to like you.

so you prefer to die than to have it cut off ?

ED is 'hard' enough for a man, no need to cut it off to feel less

• Haha 1

for you GOD lovers

if you made you with foreskin ...  was it a mistake ?

the whole foreskin is misunderstood and in USA just cut it off,  baby mutilation

no need like gallbladder right ? 

in africa they cut off clit and labia, also ok ? many girls die from the dirty knife / infection

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Yes.

In the original post, it was not called LOSING a member, but amputation of a member.

But, in my mind, I think they actually should have stated:

DeCAPitation.

Decapitation is the word for it, I think.

I think it's pretty much the same thing for the average man, loss, decapitation, amputation, it's all the same net result. Yikes.