Request recommendations of medical insurance companies

Cutty Shark

Hello.  I looked into Cigna Close Care when it was mentioned some weeks ago on another thread.  I am male and 72, close to your age.  The quote I got for Close Care, with coverage in Thailand, was $397 a month with $3000 deductible, 10% cost share, and $2000 out of pocket max.  If I remember correctly, there are several options to change the deductible to reduce the monthly cost.  At that point in the application process, which is as far as I got, they did not ask for any of my medical conditions.

I currently have hospitalization insurance with April International insurance, out of Paris, and I am paying considerably more than the Cigna quote, although with no deductible, which is not available with my plan.  The Close Care was tempting but I decided to stick with April, mainly because I have been with them since around 2011.  

One thing possibly of interest, when I did not immediately sign up for Cigna, a few days later they sent me an email offering a 10% lifetime discount if I signed up befoe the end of June.  Should you decide to go with them, you might wait a few days and see if you get the same 10% dicount offer.  Good luck with your health care search.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I had CIGNA Global out of UK for 5 years with no claims. Then I moved to an area where they had no direct payment hospital. They said that's OK and then gave me some Rube Goldberg alternative that maybe they can pay the hospital and then move me to a hospital where they do have direct pay which would be about a 5 hour drive away.

I canceled and went elsewhere.

8 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I had Cigna Global for work, and it was great. Pay the bill, submit the receipt and get reimbursed, and I had a lot of claims. 

That's OK for the small stuff but I was wasn't paying their monthly premiums and still have to have the cash for the big stuff.

7 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

That's OK for the small stuff but I was wasn't paying their monthly premiums and still have to have the cash for the big stuff.

I just paid with my US credit card. I would scan and submit the bills online, and the money would almost always be in my US bank account in less than two weeks. 

One think that was cool, what that the exchange rate I got on my card, was better than the rate Cigna used, so I netted a bit on every claim. 

6 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I just paid with my US credit card. I would scan and submit the bills online, and the money would almost always be in my US bank account in less than two weeks. 

One think that was cool, what that the exchange rate I got on my card, was better than the rate Cigna used, so I netted a bit on every claim. 

Yours was a work sponsored coverage -- I was paying the annual premium myself.

And I wasn't interested in being told just pay the 25,000 USD hospital bill and we will reimburse you.

3 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Yours was a work sponsored coverage -- I was paying the annual premium myself.

And I wasn't interested in being told just pay the 25,000 USD hospital bill and we will reimburse you.

It seemed easier to me that way. Go anywhere you want and no need to get any approval. 

12 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Yeah, I self-insure now. It works the same way, but I don't get the money back....

That's nice.

I only replied to suggest that the OP checks that what ever insurance he might choose, make sure that there is direct pay to his hospital choice although in Bangkok that shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by jerrymahoney

1 minute ago, jerrymahoney said:

That's nice.

I only replied to suggest that the OP checks that what ever insurance he might choose, make sure that there is direct pay to his hospital choice.

I only replied because I had a great experience with Cigna. 

Just now, jerrymahoney said:

Group policy.

It was, but it was not a typical group policy, because only expats were on it. The US personal were on a different plan. I could have continued on with them when I retired had I wanted to. 

4 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

It was, but it was not a typical group policy, because only expats were on it. The US personal were on a different plan. I could have continued on with them when I retired had I wanted to. 

So the OP has to make his choice from non-group policies.