High mileage Toyota diesel 4x4 pickup: can be good or stay away?

I would like to buy an older toyota 4x4 like this one (for example) 'Toyota Hilux Tiger 2.5 E D4D Year 2002, automatic transmission, diesel 260,000km'.  This one looks clean and well maintained (no work req'd) but I have seen the many garages transforming wrecks into wonderful examples.  Even if this is all original, is there a point where all the bushings and other bits are just too old to last into the (reasonable) future?  At 100k it is not as wildly overpriced as some listed.  (This is an example offer, not one that I am planning to buy today) Any general comments please?  Thanks in advance.🙏

Yes, there are some cars and trucks that can go around the clock with a 100km timing belt change for diesels. 

Tat one went, too bad, as it seemed to be just a personal farm pickup, not a cattle transporter (those trucks are punished!)  

Thanks for comments😊🙏🏼

1 hour ago, Jan Dietz said:

I wouldn't call 260K 'high mileage' for a D4D, it's just about run in. Should be good for at least 260K more.

Agreed.... 260k on a 22yr old vehicle is like 12k a year, feck all.

Thats 3 months work commute for me !

Looks like it was owned by a Sunday driver ?

Plenty of trucks out there 4 - 5 years old with 400,000 + km on, so a 22 year old one is just about run-in @ 260,000

17 hours ago, notrub said:

Yes, there are some cars and trucks that can go around the clock with a 100km timing belt change for diesels. 

Tat one went, too bad, as it seemed to be just a personal farm pickup, not a cattle transporter (those trucks are punished!)  

Thanks for comments😊🙏🏼

I'm currently in the market for a car too, but you have to be incredibly patient when buying used in Thailand... One important piece of advice I have is to make sure there is some form of service history available for the car you intend to buy. If the seller says there is no service history, then run. There’s usually a good reason why the service history book or receipts go missing, often because the odometer has been tampered with or rolled back, and the seller doesn’t want you to see the true mileage logged in the service history.

Here are some key tips:

1. Always take a mechanic to inspect the car.
  2. Test drive the car.
  3. Check the service history.
  4. Buy directly from the owner of the car and try to avoid third-party sellers.

Posted (edited)

I had the same truck before,very good but no power!

Later sold it and got another Tiger with a 3 liter engine and it had a lot more power and i loved that truck.

When i bought it i found out they had turned back the odometer but i still bought it.

A year later it cost me around 8000 baht to redo all the moving parts on the front end but that was it.

It had 280000 km when i bought it and i put on another 130000km on it in about 6 years time.

I sold it on Facebook the day after i had posted it,there is a big market for these trucks .

Off road people love them!

The truck never mist a beat and of course tires and brakes and battery and such but the engine and transmission were bullet proof!

I still like the looks of them,one of the nicer prettier trucks around.

There are still a lot on the road and most are very well maintained.

I also really like the Toyota Tiger Sport Rider,the SUV version of the pick-up.

The only downfall with my Tiger was ,it drank a lot!

but it had a lot of power also!

Edited by jvs