Is it safe to wear a Rolex around Bangkok??

2 hours ago, mstevens said:

I actually think a Rolex on your wrist is safer than in a Bangkok hotel safe. Plenty of times I have read stories of theft from the safe in a Thailand hotel room.

When I'm carrying a significant amount of money or valuables, I lock them in my luggage. It's very inconspicuous, if someone inspects the luggage they'll see a lock on it and they tend to leave it alone. I've been doing this for well over 20 years in various cities around the world and I've never had anyone tamper with my luggage. 

I feel much safer doing this then leaving it in the hotel safe which is likely much more vulnerable. 

• Haha 1

Right now probably okay as they will shortly have the fake Trump watches out...Rolex has always been the top fakes here so unless you stay at the very top hotels and dress in expensive wear, as someone else mentioned, the bad guys will think yours is a fake too.

• Haha 1

On 7/1/2024 at 10:33 AM, Mekmong MICK said:

Per the title, I need to make a trip to Bangkok later in the week for an appointment and sort a few matters out. Will I be safe wearing my Rolex? I plan to stay the night and will probably end up at a couple of bars? Should I wear my Rolex and will I be safe from pickpocketers / gangs or should I leave it in my hotel safe?

And a note; can I ask posters please keep responses civil and informative? 

Ok, you made your point. You own a Rolex. You win...

• Agree 1

Why show off with a Rolex as in anyplace in the world, people will usually consider it to be a fake.

Not speaking here about the cheap crap sold in the streets of Sukhumvit. But the top notch of fakes, those "grade A++" that are usually sold in the hidden office behind the shopfront.

The watches are flawless and usually have Seiko mouvements or similar and cost upto 500 or a 1000$. Impossible for most to see that they are fakes, but they are.

And when you ask the price for any service from a Soapy happy-end to bargain a taxi fare or a plumber service...if you are playing it rich and showing off, you have strong chances to just get ripped off and over charged. Even in a restaurant.

Nothing to gain in being a poser nowdays...

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

When I'm carrying a significant amount of money or valuables, I lock them in my luggage. It's very inconspicuous, if someone inspects the luggage they'll see a lock on it and they tend to leave it alone. I've been doing this for well over 20 years in various cities around the world and I've never had anyone tamper with my luggage. 

I feel much safer doing this then leaving it in the hotel safe which is likely much more vulnerable. 

I also always take a mini webcam that I leave in the hotel room connected. But always need to ask for 2 card keys at check-in for the room to maintain the electricity run.

As for the hotel safe, I always leave what I call "bait cash"  and some useless papers and useless keys inside, such as to satisfy any staff thief who may have acces to open the safe,.

Edited by Middle Aged Grouch
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Be it a genuine or a fake. Rolex is for upstarts and the posing as rich. The real rich hi-so's and powerful usually wear a Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Longhe and Sohn or a Gérard Perregaux watch...or the latest iWatch...