How long did it take you to feel like a local in Thailand?

Mekmong MICK

9 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Same here except i ran away and did not pay the bill. 

Which makes me more local than you.

I'd say the child's mother had a few issues to deal with after you ran away.

The poor woman to deal with that, after giving birth. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I'd say the child's mother had a few issues to deal with after you ran away.

The poor woman to deal with that, after giving birth. 

It's okay. It was Pattaya, so she probably found a Farang mug to take care she 

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

2 hours ago, Mekmong MICK said:

I've been pleasantly surprised how quickly its taken me tbh. I've been here nearly 3 weeks and already feel at home.

Long time Mick! My first step out of the Airport did it for me. Actually, I thought I was a little bit hesitating there, as I had expected the feeling when the plane hit the ground.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mekmong MICK said:

Really great to hear you're fitting in mate and feel at home. And it must be a laugh hanging with the lads after kickboxing training.

I had always thought bahm mi was a Vietnamese dish but apparently it's a local dish here too. 

It's really nice to hear someone else feeling like the assimilation process hasn't taken long

Isn't his post pathetic, resorting to name calling.

If posters don't like the OP, don't post in here, it's simple. I just thought it would make an interesting topic of conversation 

Is Bob there? Hey Bob, knock it off with twidle dee and twidle dum.

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I don't think there is a need to be or 'feel local'...   We can just be ourselves though - that means assimilating, getting on with those around us, enjoying ourselves and fitting in as part of our community in which ever area we live with with those whose lives we overlap with. 

Thailand has a huge diversity and there is a significant difference in 'everything' (wealth, education, attitudes etc) across the spectrum of Thailand...   We are very likely to find ourselves in close alignment with many somewhere along that spectrum - but that also depend on exposure and openness. 

At some point in Thailand, I stopped caring whether locals accept me or whether I fit in... and found that just like anyone else - everyone fits in somewhere... I'm happy here, I call it home...  I know I'm not a local, but I can feel 100% comfortable in most settings and social environments here, more so than some of my Thai friends.

I'll never be Thai (unless legally and going for citizenship), but as far as feeling like a local is concerned - I don't think its important at all.

... So long as we are comfortably relaxed in our surroundings and are happy calling Thailand home, then thats good enough for me.

I agree. But I think it's important to realize that.

I.e. in my home country are lots of people from other nearby countries. After a while there are no significant differences anymore. We eat the same, we do the same jobs, have the same language, etc. Sure, there are differences, but no big differences.

In Thailand there will always be big differences. 99% of farangs are different and will never be like a Thai person in Thai society.