How long did it take you to feel like a local in Thailand?

9 minutes ago, Enoon said:

The mong?:

sponsored
/ˈspɒnsəd/
adjective
adjective: sponsored
  1. 1.
    (of a project, activity, etc.) provided with funding by a particular organization or body.
    "in the past, sponsored research made up two-thirds of the budget"

so confirm.... this mong and ilk are paid to generate traffic.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

so confirm.... this mong and ilk are paid to generate traffic.

I think they need to be upfront. If they want to have paid contributor's give them a moniker like the Moderators have - 'Paid Contributor' or 'Employee'. Then the readers can decide to read or not. 

On 7/2/2024 at 9:18 AM, Mekmong MICK said:

Wow, you must be unsettled mate. I don't know how it could take anyone 30 years here but each to their own. Try taking a language or cooking class or book a tour to fit in more

Ummm....30 years here also, not even close to feeling like a local.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/1/2024 at 8:40 PM, susanlea said:

I wonder if it's buddhism or Thainess or both. Cause Thais accept people. Westerners judge people too much. You can be a happy lesbian in Thailand but in the west it's all judgement.

Not sure I agree with that. Thai people can be very judgmental, especially when in comes to racial origins, be a Thai Lao in BKK and you'd get it.

When me and my wife, who is a professional engineer, but very clearly from Isaan went to buy a wedding dress in a fairly upscale store in Bangkok, the shop girl demanded to look at her hands to ensure she wasn't a farmer!

Being gay in the West nobody cares about. We work with, live next to gay couples and the youngsters, unlike back in our day don't give it a second thought. The area I would say is more tolerant is the ladyboy thing, Thai's just glide by that

On 7/2/2024 at 9:38 AM, Mekmong MICK said:

There is something a lot more familiar and homely about Thailand compared to Western countries.

This forum a classic example; the majority of Westerns are not friendly or welcoming whereas I go out into the hotel grounds and everyone smiles and says hi

When all your friends, and I mean real friends not just someone random are Thai males and not female....you can safely say you are a local

5 minutes ago, baansgr said:

When all your friends, and I mean real friends not just someone random are Thai males and not female....you can safely say you are a local

Ive a few expat friends, guess I must not be a "local".

On 7/6/2024 at 5:54 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Was she one the real locals didn't want to marry?

One of the great expat myths is that Thai women prefer farang men.

She had a daughter. Next trip back 9 months later a Yank had already snapped her up and she had gone to the USA.