Honda dealer front disk change charged 3KB is it reasonable?

villageidiotY2K

Hello automotive experts, below is the price quotated from honda dealer for front disc replacement. (honda city)

Is it at reasonable price? I think its expensive and i asked about why labour is 1100B, the dude says he gotta grind the disk rotor or something?

isnt it cheaper to just change to a new rotor?

ive also went to the local garage and was quotated 2000B he also said someting about grind the rotor and not replacing. (What do they grind instread of replacing??)

S__20824068_0.jpg.8b1ba5e032a3610d078c3e88a3097374.jpgS__20824066_0.thumb.jpg.67bb5b887ef27e0f4cbdcebcd77715a5.jpg

13 minutes ago, villageidiotY2K said:

its the standard OEM brake

also could pls confirm why they have to grind instead of replacing? 

image.jpeg.7dc437afef5eafe1a04ac8d563402253.jpeg

There should be no need to grind new plates. However I'm puzzled by your posts. In your O/P you said that the quote was for replacements. Now you're talking about grinding instead of replacing. Which is it?

Disk pads are considered consumable items (like oils,0il filters, wiper blades and similar) disk rotors are not, and are only changed if seriously damaged.

It is normal after long use for the rotors to be lightly scored, skimming , or grinding, to remove this scoring will give the new pads (which have a flat surface) more efficient grip on the rotors.

Coming to the bill the 1200 is the total labour cost including the skimming which is a very quick job. If they were to replace the rotors this cost would hardly change, if at all.

You would however have the additional cost of new rotors, which at Honda prices is likely to be several thousand Baht.

Hope that helps.

• Like 2

Turning the rotors trues them & takes any warp out....Under normal braking conditions the rotors get polished & less responsive as the brake linings wear down.....Along with truing that glaze needs to be broken so the linings & rotors can break in together for maximum efficiency.....

Hondas are notoriously lightly constructed.... I'm surprised there's enough meat on the rotors to withstand turning..... If turned too close to minimum specs there could be problems arising such as overheating & warpage.....

I'd want to know the rotor's specs before any decisions are made ....

54 minutes ago, villageidiotY2K said:

change the rotor

Did you specify which model/year you have?

I see a site with rotors for Honda with prices from 1880 to 5880 Baht.

No original Honda part of course, company name "Runstop".

Edited by KhunBENQ

4 hours ago, villageidiotY2K said:

Hello automotive experts, below is the price quotated from honda dealer for front disc replacement. (honda city)

Is it at reasonable price? I think its expensive and i asked about why labour is 1100B, the dude says he gotta grind the disk rotor or something?

isnt it cheaper to just change to a new rotor?

ive also went to the local garage and was quotated 2000B he also said someting about grind the rotor and not replacing. (What do they grind instread of replacing??)

S__20824068_0.jpg.8b1ba5e032a3610d078c3e88a3097374.jpgS__20824066_0.thumb.jpg.67bb5b887ef27e0f4cbdcebcd77715a5.jpg

god forbid new brakes would cost less than 100 baht

23 hours ago, villageidiotY2K said:

Now fresh pads on my ride I can resume back to tailgating those puss running 80km on 120km right lane and scare them up for the thrill

Good to know you live up to your forum name :w00t:  😋

21 hours ago, villageidiotY2K said:

hi, is it ok to splash water into engine bay like this?

I would go somewhere else...even better  D.I.Y  then you can be sure of what's done  and no chance of a cigarette burn in your upholstery.

On 7/2/2024 at 9:26 AM, stubuzz said:

Genuine disks would cost more. Post a picture of your front disks. 

I had honda discs put on my civic a number of years ago. There were about 3K for the pair. Brake pads were 1500-2000 a pair or something like that. Honda brakes aren't the best, its better to swap out the discs for aftermarket ones such as trw xps or dixcel discs. 

Edited by DavisH