When are Booze prices going to come down?

bob smith

3 hours ago, bob smith said:

well said, Robert.

The best beer in Thailand is (rather ironically) beer lao!

I fancy a trip back to that majestic place soon..

Vientiane is a lovely laid back city, perfect for a quick getaway from TH.

and the beer and sandwiches are second to none!

bob.

Agree Vientiane does have that feeling about it. 

I found the beer there to have a different taste to the beer Lao we get here.  It's still very drinkable tho. 

My last trip there (Nov 23) I spied a locally produced rum called Rhum Laodi Was going to buy a bottle from a store in town but decided to try duty free at the airport on the way out. 

Big mistake... Duty Free was twice the price.  Never got to try it.  Maybe next time. 

Trying to get a decent dark Rum in Thailand... Mission Impossible 

23 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I think you read wrong. 

Did Thailand reduce alcohol tax?

The tax changes were announced earlier this year, and took effect from 1 March. The cabinet proposed an alcohol tax slash at three levels. First, the import duties of 54% will be reduced to 0%. Second, the excise tax will drop from 10% to 5%.Mar 14, 2567 BE

23 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

No. Removing import duties only affects imported goods.

Also, the article only discusses a plan, it does not claim any action has been taken. 

The tax changes were announced earlier this year, and took effect from 1 March. The cabinet proposed an alcohol tax slash at three levels. First, the import duties of 54% will be reduced to 0%. Second, the excise tax will drop from 10% to 5%.Mar 14, 2567 BE

18 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Okay, the tax has been reduced.

18 minutes ago, digger70 said:

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

so you admit that I was right..

Now back to my initial question, why are these savings not being passed on to the consumer?

next time, before you even dare to try to correct me, make bloody sure that you have all your facts straight first!

I'm not sure that you can recover from such a severe case of egg on face but I wish you the best.

bob.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

Actually, wine prices have been falling in Europe, due to the decrease in wine drinking because of studies claiming that no amount of alcohol is safe to drink. I remember reading a while back that the average price paid by Germans for table wine was $1.89. Well, we can only dream about that here.

Europe, especially France has been accused of overproduction of wine for decades. But nothing has ever been done about it. So now they're feeling the pinch. C'EST LA VIE.

1 minute ago, bob smith said:

so you admit that I was right..

No, you claimed: "I read that the government was introducing a 0% tax on all alcohol in an effort to spur tourism and get the punters drinking." 

Clearly not true. Admit it and apologize. 

Now back to my initial question, why are these savings not being passed on to the consumer?

Why should they be? 

next time, before you even dare to try to correct me, make bloody sure that you have all your facts straight first!

Next time, read a bit and get your facts straight before you come on here spewing nonsense. 

I'm not sure that you can recover from such a severe case of egg on face but I wish you the best.

bob.

Bob on this...

6 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Yes it has and that was the Idea to sell the Alcohol Cheaper so the tourists/everyone would drink more . So where in Satans Name is the cheap booze? 

Someone is pocketing the money that's suppose to be the savings for the tourists and everyone.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Yes it has and that was the Idea to sell the Alcohol Cheaper so the tourists/everyone would drink more . So where in Satans Name is the cheap booze? 

Someone is pocketing the money that's suppose to be the savings for the tourists and everyone.

@Yellowtail Get it yet????

just out of curiosity, how far did you go in school?

(this is for @Yellowtail)

bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Why would wholesales and or retailers pass the savings along? It will take time and competition to drive the price down. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, bob smith said:

@Yellowtail Get it yet????

just out of curiosity, how far did you go in school?

(this is for @Yellowtail)

bob.

Get what, that you're a buffoon that is unable to formulate an argument? Is that not common knowledge? 

Edited by Yellowtail

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Why would wholesales and or retailers pass the savings along? It will take time and competition to drive the price down. 

Of course they won't the greedy sods .

If that's the case than the government should /Must get of their @ss and do something about that.Like fine the greedy sods a thb million  a few time till they adhere to the Law.

Just now, bob smith said:

Well edited.

Your spelling mistake didn't go unnoticed though!

bob.

You making false claims does not go unnoticed either. 

Personally, I'd rather be making spelling errors Bob. 

Incidentally, I think it was a wrong word, not a spelling error. And you're (your?) and English teacher, yes? 

8 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

You making false claims does not go unnoticed either. 

Personally, I'd rather be making spelling errors Bob. 

Incidentally, I think it was a wrong word, not a spelling error. And you're (your?) and English teacher, yes? 

I used the correct word in this case - Your.

You're is short for you are.

I wouldn't say 'You are spelling mistake didn't go unnoticed though', would I?

think about it.

bob.

3 minutes ago, bob smith said:

I used the correct word in this case - Your.

You're is short for you are.

I wouldn't say 'You are spelling mistake didn't go unnoticed though', would I?

think about it.

bob.

Yeah, in this case, but the issue is you making false claims, not your (you're?) grammatical errors. 

Hey, is Bob not a proper noun? Unless it's an activity of course, which I guess it could well be in the case.

Think about it Bob. 

Just now, Yellowtail said:

Yeah, in this case, but the issue is you making false claims, not your (you're?) grammatical errors. 

Hey, is Bob not a proper noun? Unless it's an activity of course, which I guess it could well be in the case.

Think about it Bob. 

I can go all day me, Yellowsnail.

That egg on your face is starting to smell a bit.

Time for a shower maybe?

bob.

• Haha 1

On 7/2/2024 at 12:27 PM, Yellowtail said:

No. Removing import duties only affects imported goods.

Also, the article only discusses a plan, it does not claim any action has been taken. 

Thailand is the hub of plans. It has a new one nearly every day. They usually amount to nothing. Or start, and then get shelved. (One can live in hope regarding to RD's new interpretation.)

23 hours ago, bob smith said:

come on, MICK.

even the mega rich love a good buy 2 get 1 free!

bob.

Or the even better strapline: "Buy one, get one", omitting the crucial "free".  

Edited by samtam

Just now, bob smith said:

Do yourself a favor Yellowsnail, crawl back under that rock of yours..

You are making yourself look like a right plonker now!

bob.

Oh yes, you're (your?) just to rich and smart for me teacher! 

I'm rubber, you're glue, what you say bounces off me and sticks to you plonker! 

• Haha 1