Thailand Considers Lifting Alcohol Ban to Boost Restaurant Business

webfact

7 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

A solution that is difficult to enforce. I understand in Middle East countries, international hotels can sell alcohol within their premises. 

That's true.

Perhaps we should set up speakeasy's around the country that only open on buddhist holy days and only cater to Non buddhists and non thais?

bob.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Very few people even understand the reasoning for this ridiculous ban to begin with, it feels pureile and puritanistic, and it does not feel sincere and genuine. 

Funny thing is that during certain alcohol ban days, I was having dinner at mega bangna mall and was told alcohol cannot be served that day. I pointed out that I have had beer at the restaurant across the bangna trad road during lunch same day.. Oh ! that place is under Bangkok jurisdiction while mega bangna mall is under Samut Prakan jurisdiction. What ? !!!!

50 minutes ago, UK Martin said:

7-elevens stick to the 2 - 5 ban on booze but that's about it... all bars, pubs restaurants etc.. sell alcohol between 2 and 5 in Bangkok.

In 8 years I have never witnessed a bar or restaurant that has not served alcohol between these times... this is fake news to fill the page imho

I have been refused a beer once in Icom Siam restaurant Hong Bao at 2.10 pm while eating because of the ban. I live here for 5 years.

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Seppius said:

Just seems to affect food places in the shopping malls, as far as restaurants go

And also those more reputable better restaurants and chain store restaurants that adhere strictly the rules of operation. The roadside carts and alley restaurants do not seem to be enforcing much. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

Funny thing is that during certain alcohol ban days, I was having dinner at mega bangna mall and was told alcohol cannot be served that day. I pointed out that I have had beer at the restaurant across the bangna trad road during lunch same day.. Oh ! that place is under Bangkok jurisdiction while mega bangna mall is under Samut Prakan jurisdiction. What ? !!!!

Meaning we haven't established a deal with the Samut cops. Yet. This has nothing to do with public welfare or Public Health this is strictly about maintaining a police franchise and fake puritanism. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

While they are at it why not scrap the ban on Buddhist days too. A complete farce when you can go into just about any mom & pop shop and buy it.  

LOS is ALL about IMAGE and appearances.......like presenting a lovely red front door as all the truth goes thru the back door

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, bob smith said:

only in Thailand folks.

How completely and utterly ridiculous! 

Laughing stock of the highest order.

bob.

Only in Thailand???   I remember going to a country (admittedly, forty or so years back) when I first went to a pub and was told to drink fast in mid-afternoon due to the imminent closing hour.    And the same worker productivity reason was given

2 minutes ago, tjintx said:

Only in Thailand???   I remember going to a country (admittedly, forty or so years back) when I first went to a pub and was told to drink fast in mid-afternoon due to the imminent closing hour.    And the same worker productivity reason was given

never in my life have I been to another country that says I can't have a glass of wine with my afternoon meal as a paying adult.

How do you think tourists view Thailand when they see ludicrous rules like that?

do you expect them to be impressed? No wonder the restaurants are goin under!

bob.

Edited by bob smith

1 minute ago, bob smith said:

never in my life have I been to another country that says I can't have a glass of wine with my afternoon meal as a paying adult.

How do you think tourists view Thailand when they see ludicrous rules like that?

do you expect them to be impressed? No wonder the restaurants are goin under!

bob.

Ummm, Bob, I was speaking of the country that you are from.

Are we doomed to live through this pearl clutching over alcohol sales hours again and again, like Groundhog Day??

This is from less than six months ago: 

"Thai Restaurant operators are asking the Thai government to unlock alcohol sale hours and end periods of sales being restricted, especially from 2PM to 5PM in the afternoons."

And this is from less than two weeks ago

"The Government of Thailand dashed hopes of extended alcohol sales hours, citing alarming statistics on road casualties and accidents. Public Health Minister Somsak Thepsutin announced the decision following a tense panel meeting at the ministry on Tuesday, asserting that public safety must take precedence."

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/government-slam-brakes-on-extended-hours-for-alcohol-sales

Around Rawai business has slowed right down you notice when I'm out and about, But I haven't seen any places closed down, some need closing down but that's for other reasons, 

Sunday morning is when we do a big shop, some guy on here recommended a beer and did say it is sold in Tops so we normally go in there, I found the beer then realised it was only 10-30 so I didn't bother buying it, yep I guessed they lost money like that, I did look in the big makro they don't sell it,  

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, bob smith said:

what pubs/restaurants in the UK stop serving booze at 2 and start again at 5 in 2024?

name names.

bob.

Not in 2024, but I can certainly remember when pubs in England used to close at 3pm and reopen at 5pm, then close strictly at 11pm.

Maybe Thailand is just catching up? 🙄

Edited by VBF

3 hours ago, UK Martin said:

7-elevens stick to the 2 - 5 ban on booze but that's about it... all bars, pubs restaurants etc.. sell alcohol between 2 and 5 in Bangkok.

In 8 years I have never witnessed a bar or restaurant that has not served alcohol between these times... this is fake news to fill the page imho

Our 7/11 sells then rings it up later, they even deliver out of hours, ludicrous law. Wine connection will not serve drink from 2-5.

Edited by proton

3 hours ago, Ctkong said:

Depends upon if those restaurants have strict enforcement or not. Once I was having lunch and wanted to order some drinks but was told I cannot order alcoholic drinks after 2 pm. I pointed out to the nearby table where the diners are having many alcoholic drinks on the table and a case of beer at the foot of the table. Was told theirs is ok because they paid for the bill for alcohol before 2 pm .So the way to go around this is to pay your bill before 2 pm timeline and drink at your leisure . It has something to do with the register being locked automatically for alcoholic drinks after the timeline. 

Obviously too thick to put two and two together by serving the drinks, taking the money to be put into the cash register after five PM.

3 hours ago, bob smith said:

That's true.

Perhaps we should set up speakeasy's around the country that only open on buddhist holy days and only cater to Non buddhists and non thais?

bob.

i have been to number of those. Short of banning Thais, I have hosted a number of those.

Edited by n00dle
  • Love It 1

6 hours ago, Ctkong said:

And also those more reputable better restaurants and chain store restaurants that adhere strictly the rules of operation. The roadside carts and alley restaurants do not seem to be enforcing much. 

Blueport Mall ..  Wine shop shutters at 2pm ..  Fuji /Sushi restaurant you can't order a beer with your food @ 2pm

drive down the road to Villa Market it's anything you want at any time.