Eye test? Pattaya - kinda like you get in the UK at an optician

scubascuba3

Looking for a general test similar to what they do in the UK so not just glasses prescription. I only wear glasses when watching golf on TV so not interested in that it's more the other checks glaucoma etc. Any specific recommendations in Pattaya? I'm not interested in Bangkok Pattaya hospital.

The other option is trying Rutnin in Bangkok, I'm up there in a few weeks, but looking at their website it's not even clear who I'd book with, any recommendation there?

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Looking for a general test similar to what they do in the UK so not just glasses prescription. I only wear glasses when watching golf on TV so not interested in that it's more the other checks glaucoma etc. Any specific recommendations in Pattaya? I'm not interested in Bangkok Pattaya hospital.

The other option is trying Rutnin in Bangkok, I'm up there in a few weeks, but looking at their website it's not even clear who I'd book with, any recommendation there?

Rutnin +1, Dr. Roy's the man.

Pattaya Memorial, Phayathai Sriricha. I believe the after hours Special Clinic at Queen Savang Vadhana Memorial, Sriricha, can do it, the least expensive option I guess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was impressed with how extensive the eye exam was at Pattaya International on Soi 4. It was included with a full physical checkup package.

They do have an eye exam package on their website for 2990 Baht. Seems expensive for an eye exam but they have some very high tech equipment that an eyeglass retailer like Euro Optic probably wouldn't have.   Eye Check Up Package

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Rutnin want 4,500 baht for an eye examination, eye watering with no symptoms

Screenshot_2024-07-04-08-55-38-804_jp.naver.line.android~2.jpg

These exams are much more extensive than elsewhere.

They have given you their basic "checkup" package.  If only problem is eye watering, may nto need this.  You can consult  doctor at Rutnin without doing all this first, I've done it many times.

Rutnin's clerical staff are nto very good at communications. Whatever you asked, they took it to mean you had no particular proklem and just wanted a routine check-up.

If watery eyes are only symptom, may not be eye issue at all but rather allergy/reaction to air pollution.  Have you tried antihistamines? If it is allergy that should work, if it doesn't then yes something may be going on in the eye.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

They have given you their basic "checkup" package.  If only problem is eye watering, may nto need this.  You can consult  doctor at Rutnin without doing all this first, I've done it many times.

Rutnin's clerical staff are nto very good at communications. Whatever you asked, they took it to mean you had no particular proklem and just wanted a routine check-up.

If watery eyes are only symptom, may not be eye issue at all but rather allergy/reaction to air pollution.  Have you tried antihistamines? If it is allergy that should work, if it doesn't then yes something may be going on in the eye.

Great information thank you Sheryl. I have an eye examination whenever I return to the UK by my local optometrist. It has, for a long time, included a digital image of the eye which I understand to be OCT. In the last couple of years I have also been offered an Optomap scan (for additional cost). I have, so far, declined the Optomap scan. In your opinion, is this something worth having?

40 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

ok thanks, the eye watering was my poor attempt at a joke, eye watering at the price, no symptoms whatsoever, the only reason I'm thinking of doing it is in UK it's free every 2 years and i haven't had one for 4 years

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Great information thank you Sheryl. I have an eye examination whenever I return to the UK by my local optometrist. It has, for a long time, included a digital image of the eye which I understand to be OCT. In the last couple of years I have also been offered an Optomap scan (for additional cost). I have, so far, declined the Optomap scan. In your opinion, is this something worth having?

I have had an optomap done once only, when  there was a retinal issue noted on retinal exam.

Not normally done  for routine screening.

If you are over age 60, diabetic, or have any history of retinal issues, then a retinal exam with dilation (eye drops that widen your pupil) should be done every 1-2 years.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/expert-answers/eye-dilation/faq-20057882

No reason to do the more costly OptoMap unless retinal exam shows a problem doctor needs to get a better view of.

These types of exams are done by an opthalmologist, not an optometrist. Are you sure you meant optometrist?

25 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

ok thanks, the eye watering was my poor attempt at a joke, eye watering at the price, no symptoms whatsoever, the only reason I'm thinking of doing it is in UK it's free every 2 years and i haven't had one for 4 years

Oh OK, then they did indeed

26 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

OK but what exactly are you seeking, an eye check up to detect potential eye diseases, or glasses/contact prescription? As except for the ocular pressure, everything in the package mentioned deals with refraction.

If over 60, diabetic or with history of retinal issues should also have a retinal exam.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Oh OK, then they did indeed

OK but what exactly are you seeking, an eye check up to detect potential eye diseases, or glasses/contact prescription? As except for the ocular pressure, everything in the package mentioned deals with refraction.

If over 60, diabetic or with history of retinal issues should also have a retinal exam.

This is what a Boots Optician would test for, every 2+ years. Only reason I'm thinking of doing it is i haven't had one for 4 years, no symptoms, 54yo

Screenshot_2024-07-04-15-40-10-502_com.android.chrome~2.jpg

15 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I have had an optomap done once only, when  there was a retinal issue noted on retinal exam.

Not normally done  for routine screening.

If you are over age 60, diabetic, or have any history of retinal issues, then a retinal exam with dilation (eye drops that widen your pupil) should be done every 1-2 years.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/expert-answers/eye-dilation/faq-20057882

No reason to do the more costly OptoMap unless retinal exam shows a problem doctor needs to get a better view of.

These types of exams are done by an opthalmologist, not an optometrist. Are you sure you meant optometrist?

Thanks again Sheryl. I sort of suspected it might not be necessary. I can confirm that my optician is a High Street optometrist offering eye tests under NHS and privately. https://www.dineenopticians.co.uk/eye-examinations