Canadian military man confesses to gangster’s murder in Thailand

snoop1130

MAtthew-Dupre1.jpg

A former Canadian soldier pleaded guilty in Bangkok for his role in the February 2022 murder of notorious British Columbia gangster Jimi Sandhu. Matthew Dupre, hailing from Sylvan Lake, Alberta, admitted his involvement on the trial’s opening day, June 27.

The dramatic hit occurred at a beachfront resort in Phuket, captured on CCTV. Sandhu, staying in a private waterfront villa, was targeted in the resort’s parking area. Investigations revealed a fake Canadian ID and cash in the villa. Sergeant Brenda Winpenny of the anti-gang Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit (CFSEU-B.C.) confirmed Dupre’s admission, linking the murder plot back to Canada.

“The guilty plea to the murder of Sandhu in Thailand speaks to the capabilities of CFSEU-B.C. when it comes to complex international investigations connected to the gang landscape and our ability to assist local and international agencies to advance investigations and hold individuals accountable.”

Sandhu, a United Nations gang member deported to India in 2016, was killed in a plot by the Canadian-based Wolfpack gang. Following his murder, police searched Dupre’s Alberta home, the Trail residence of co-accused Gene Lahrkamp, who later died in hiding, and another suspect’s Ontario home.

Dupre, extradited in May 2023, has been in Thai custody for 14 months. Thailand waived the death penalty in this high-profile case. The Royal Thai Police presented evidence, including surveillance videos, car rental and hotel records, and DNA and fingerprints.

Dupre and his former army buddy Lahrkamp arrived in Phuket on December 18, 2021. They returned to Canada on February 8, 2022, and were soon identified as suspects. Lahrkamp died in a plane crash near Sioux Lookout, Ontario, on April 30, 2022. Both had left the Canadian Armed Forces as corporals. Dupre’s LinkedIn reveals combat experience in Afghanistan, later working as a private military contractor in Syria and Iraq.

Sandhu was involved in the Southeast Asian drug trade, banned from Malaysia, and sought by Indian police. He rented the Phuket villa in November 2021, attended a lavish New Year’s Eve party in Bangkok, and returned to Phuket on January 27, 2022, just days before his murder, reported The Province.

By Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Photo courtesy of KhaoSod English

Source: The Thaiger 2024-07-03

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Maybe he didn't have a criminal record when he first came here, 

That’s true and just look at the news one of  greatest criminals in my country’s  history has until recently never been convicted of criminal felonies.

Violence, trafficking, frauds, social offenses and larceny. Just a cursory review of most criminals records however would be enough to identify those most likely to re-offend once they enter Thailand. 

3 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

And I’m not saying what offenders should be  allowed in or not, but maybe with restrictions.

Like say a bloke has 3 convictions for drunk driving in the US but is otherwise an OK guy. Maybe he could be allowed with no chance to get a drivers license or rent a car.  

Is that a criminal offence in your country?

18 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Is that a criminal offence in your country?

In US there is as I understand  misdemeanor amd felony DUI based on state laws, number of dui offenses and if you hurt somebody up to the point of vehicular manslaughter. Do you consider that a criminal offense ? 

Since we are talking about Canada here do you know Americans cannot even enter Canada with history of drunk driving without a waiver? 

Edited by Captain Monday

4 hours ago, sikishrory said:

This is a bit of a tangent.

A couple of days ago I passed the law courts.

They are huge structures that look like something out of anceient rome with large pillars in front and what seems like 50+ rooms. 

There is also another one of these huge buildings up near the sarasin bridge.

It was a Monday. However every time I go by these places there's not a single soul or car to be seen anywhere. The size of these buildings is striking. Yet they seem to sit empy and largely unused.

Meanwhile, this man has waited in prison 2+ years later to submit (in bangkok) a verdict. That's a long time. 

Justice system speed to room ratio is not really adding up at all.

image.png.36c5221e889bab75ffa2fe2d839338f9.png

This is the Law Courts just out side our small town of Phimai. The times I have drove past it I have yet to see a car parked.

There is a large government housing complex to the rear.

IMG_2696.png

34 minutes ago, norfolkandchance said:

This is the Law Courts just out side our small town of Phimai. The times I have drove past it I have yet to see a car parked.

There is a large government housing complex to the rear.

IMG_2696.png

Kind of reminds me of this https://thethaiger.com/news/national/spotlight-shines-on-more-shady-street-lamp-projects-by-local-thailand-governments

• Thumbs Up 1